Fender To release kurt cobain jaguar with nevermind anni...

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender To release kurt cobain jaguar with nevermind anni...

Post by Pacafeliz » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:58 am

ok i'll steal the link from another post: https://www.facebook.com/video/video.ph ... 2&comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a short fender vid announcing the cobain jag. 0:13 shows guitar with extra strapbutton and even sloppy-placement humbucker in the neck.

geez why am i getting so excited over this one coming out?! ???
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

Green Lantern
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Green Lantern » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:11 am

Call me a crotchety conservative, but I think humbuckers in a Jaguar are... not at all cool. They seem to almost entirely go against (and kill) the character of the guitar.

fenderjapan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fenderjapan » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:14 am

Pacafeliz wrote:ok i'll steal the link from another post: https://www.facebook.com/video/video.ph ... 2&comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a short fender vid announcing the cobain jag. 0:13 shows guitar with extra strapbutton and even sloppy-placement humbucker in the neck.

I wonder if the guitar in the video actually is Kurt's jag. Pickguard looks kinda like a "meatball" guard?

Gold Soundz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gold Soundz » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:37 am

I am actually kind of excited for this. I got my Jaguar in the late 90's for obvious reasons. Over the years it ended up with several "Kurt mods"... routed for humbuckers , Gotoh tune-o-matic. It was my first of several offsets and started the obsession .... so I am anxious to see this one.

However I don't know if I'd shell out 1800 bucks for it.

Joe Hackett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Joe Hackett » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:44 am

fenderjapan wrote:
Pacafeliz wrote:ok i'll steal the link from another post: https://www.facebook.com/video/video.ph ... 2&comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder if the guitar in the video actually is Kurt's jag. Pickguard looks kinda like a "meatball" guard?
I'm pretty sure that is Kurt's actual guitar -- it's strung for a right-handed person -- Eric Erlandson is the owner of this guitar (or at least was) and was last seen using it strung this way in the mid 90s.

StevePirates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevePirates » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:09 pm

I think I would be creeped out if the singer in my band wanted me to play her dead husband's guitar.
North: The direction of the sky.

weed_killer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by weed_killer » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:11 pm

StevePirates wrote:I think I would be creeped out if the singer in my band wanted me to play her dead husband's guitar.
Eric and Kurt were close friends though.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:15 pm

triviani wrote:It is funny how things turn around .. the key reason why that movement of bands used jags and Jazzys is that they were the affordable guitars to buy, because nobody else was buying them and were piled on pawn shops. Now there you are, the Kurt Kobain $$ignature model. I bet it would be a nice guitar, but will be in the opposite direction of his spirit.

Maybe the next independent movement will use strats, nobody wants strats these days! Or even better, 90s Charvel's. :o

Call me crazy, but I don't think Fender cares about his "spirit", only if they can make a buck. I'm not judging Fender for this, as they're a business. Businesses have to make a profit.
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:26 pm

Oh good, fender's moving further into memorabilia company territory.

prospect
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by prospect » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:01 pm

I'm excited about this.

triviani
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by triviani » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:46 pm

RumorsOFsurF wrote:
triviani wrote:It is funny how things turn around .. the key reason why that movement of bands used jags and Jazzys is that they were the affordable guitars to buy, because nobody else was buying them and were piled on pawn shops. Now there you are, the Kurt Kobain $$ignature model. I bet it would be a nice guitar, but will be in the opposite direction of his spirit.

Maybe the next independent movement will use strats, nobody wants strats these days! Or even better, 90s Charvel's. :o

Call me crazy, but I don't think Fender cares about his "spirit", only if they can make a buck. I'm not judging Fender for this, as they're a business. Businesses have to make a profit.
Ha, sure! At least they don't dare to release a Jonasbrothers model, as some other independent brand did :fp:
An AC30 fired in anger can peel the paint from your automobile...

prospect
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by prospect » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:36 pm

I don't know about all this talk of ethos and spirit.

Kurt loved the Fender brand as evidenced by his sketchings of the Fender logo in Journals.
Furthermore he had full intention on going 'mainstream' which is why he held out from signing with smaller indie labels and signed a deal with Geffen. During the In Utero era he special ordered numerous Fender Mustangs. Not very punk rock to have multiples of the same guitar. Even when he was alive he was working on the Jagstang to be released as his 'signature' model. Sure Kurt was a whiny bastard who claimed his roots in punk rock but his actions showed he always had mainstream aspirations. Besides, f his spirit. He showed us all how much cared in the Spring of 1994. This band got me into rock music and his guitar got me into guitars. I know I'm not alone in saying that.

I'm excited for the opportunity to have a replica of the guitar that shaped my teenage years.

And yes I totally wish that neck pick up was in the right spot. I can live with the other inaccuracies but that neck pickup thing is kind of annoying.

inkeye
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by inkeye » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:43 am

+1
prospect wrote:I don't know about all this talk of ethos and spirit.

Kurt loved the Fender brand as evidenced by his sketchings of the Fender logo in Journals.
Furthermore he had full intention on going 'mainstream' which is why he held out from signing with smaller indie labels and signed a deal with Geffen. During the In Utero era he special ordered numerous Fender Mustangs. Not very punk rock to have multiples of the same guitar. Even when he was alive he was working on the Jagstang to be released as his 'signature' model. Sure Kurt was a whiny bastard who claimed his roots in punk rock but his actions showed he always had mainstream aspirations. Besides, f his spirit. He showed us all how much cared in the Spring of 1994. This band got me into rock music and his guitar got me into guitars. I know I'm not alone in saying that.

I'm excited for the opportunity to have a replica of the guitar that shaped my teenage years.

And yes I totally wish that neck pick up was in the right spot. I can live with the other inaccuracies but that neck pickup thing is kind of annoying.

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:57 am

nicely put! bravo! 8)
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

Libtoem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Libtoem » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:01 pm

Kurts jag did get the bridge pickup replaced with a JB sometime in 93,if you watch the doll parts vid you can see the pickup is black.