Any love for Vox amps?

Make it loud here.
somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Any love for Vox amps?

Post by somanytoys » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:02 pm

I can say their Silver Bell is really nice, I love it. Haven’t tried any other ones, but definitely would. Their speakers seem top notch.

But a blue is something all on its own. I think you either like it or you don’t, no “it’s okay, but...”. The amp may make a difference as well, but I have come to like the alnico sound. I still have some good ceramics, too, for the other side.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:19 pm

somanytoys wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:02 pm
I can say their Silver Bell is really nice, I love it. Haven’t tried any other ones, but definitely would. Their speakers seem top notch.

But a blue is something all on its own. I think you either like it or you don’t, no “it’s okay, but...”. The amp may make a difference as well, but I have come to like the alnico sound. I still have some good ceramics, too, for the other side.
I think the Blues have a great Sound! Maybe the best!

The Weber I'm using in my AC10 comes close to the Sound of the Celestion Alnico Blue in my AC15.. Weber did a Great job with it...

But, sometimes I want Clean & I'll install the Greenback... Really fast & easy to do in the AC10's. I agree best of both Worlds..

I also agree running Vox stereo to a Fender is really great Sound blend...

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:32 am

I love the Vox sound but i've had a hard time using it for my thing. I've owned a few (AC15CC1 with Blue, AC10, Night Train 50, AC30HW w/Greenbacks) and I've not been able to make the Vox thing work for me on tape. That said, I really like the sound in the room and use an MV50AC as a backup/overdub/practice sort of amp. I don't have any Blues around the basement at the moment but I was pretty shocked that when I finally plugged that little thing into a Weber 10A125 2x10 that it had A LOT of that AC30 -> Blues thing but with maybe a touch less of the "blizzard of nails" top end. Looking forward to putting it on tape to see if it does a thing I like. It's certainly fun to doodle with.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:23 am

redchapterjubilee wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:32 am
I love the Vox sound but i've had a hard time using it for my thing. I've owned a few (AC15CC1 with Blue, AC10, Night Train 50, AC30HW w/Greenbacks) and I've not been able to make the Vox thing work for me on tape. That said, I really like the sound in the room and use an MV50AC as a backup/overdub/practice sort of amp. I don't have any Blues around the basement at the moment but I was pretty shocked that when I finally plugged that little thing into a Weber 10A125 2x10 that it had A LOT of that AC30 -> Blues thing but with maybe a touch less of the "blizzard of nails" top end. Looking forward to putting it on tape to see if it does a thing I like. It's certainly fun to doodle with.
Seems most, if not all, new Amps come with poor quality Tubes.. I noticed a huge difference in Sound with just a Tube upgrade. For Vox JJ's & Tung Sol's sound great & don't break the Bank.. That's another thing I like about my AC10C1 & my. AC15CC1X, there are only 4 Tubes... Like half of what Fenders have....(still love my Fender Amps too)

Also, it seems to my ears, That Single Coils like Rickenbacker pickups & Gibson P90's sound best... I usually run Humbuckers through Fenders...

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 601210 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:50 am

Larsongs wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:23 am
[...]
Seems most, if not all, new Amps come with poor quality Tubes..
[...]
I've always been surprised by people complaining about stock tubes. I always thought changing out tubes to your preference is just as routine as changing strings to your preference, and I've never judged a guitar for the strings on it.

I agree the tubes that came with my AC10 were pretty meh, though.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:51 am

redchapterjubilee wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:32 am
Vox amps have a very focused projection. I like to do one of two things with them depending on what speaker is in the cab and what kind of sound I want:

1) a dynamic mic -usually an SM-57- placed off axis pointing towards the cone about midway between the cone and outer edge. Move it around in small increments until you find the sweet spot. That Vox crunch sits in the 2.5-3.5kHz range. Pick a speaker and use the outer edge, don’t try to get both speakers by micing in between.
A ribbon -4038- or a condenser mic U-67- placedon axis 1-5’ back from the mic’ed speaker. Distance depends on recording volume and phase. Don’t overdrive a ribbon mic with too much volume! The dynamic gets the crunch and the second mic adds depth and body and smooths out the high frequencies.

2) If it’s an open back combo, try a dynamic mic a foot or so back pointing on axis to the center cone. Then put a condenser mic behind the amp, placement depends on phase issues. Use your ears or there are math formulas to figure that out. Again, the dynamic is most of the sound and the second mic adds some body.

If you put the Vox on a stand, you will get a thinner tone, but add some dimension and remove unwanted floor reflection, so a second mic adding bass helps. If you place the amp 3-4’ from a wall with the rear mic 12-18” back from the amp, you’ll get more bass frequencies too.
Last edited by fuzzjunkie on Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:53 am

601210 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:50 am
Larsongs wrote:
[...]
[...]
I've always been surprised by people complaining about stock tubes. I always thought changing out tubes to your preference is just as routine as changing strings to your preference, and I've never judged a guitar for the strings on it.

At least the little ones only have a few. I had a Vox Twin Reverb that had 13 counting the rectifier!

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:51 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:53 am
601210 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:50 am
Larsongs wrote:
[...]
[...]

At least the little ones only have a few. I had a Vox Twin Reverb that had 13 counting the rectifier!
Another Plus about the smaller Vox.. A complete Set of matched Tung Sol's were about $50.00 or so....

I believe my Fender Twin has 13 Tubes as well. Very expensive to replace all of them with high quality Tubes! Up to $1,000.00 or more for Vintage NOS. So, I only replace them as they go.

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:28 am

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:51 am
Vox amps have a very focused projection. I like to do one of two things with them depending on what speaker is in the cab and what kind of sound I want:

1) a dynamic mic -usually an SM-57- placed off axis pointing towards the cone about midway between the cone and outer edge. Move it around in small increments until you find the sweet spot. That Vox crunch sits in the 2.5-3.5kHz range. Pick a speaker and use the outer edge, don’t try to get both speakers by micing in between.
A ribbon -4038- or a condenser mic U-67- placedon axis 1-5’ back from the mic’ed speaker. Distance depends on recording volume and phase. Don’t overdrive a ribbon mic with too much volume! The dynamic gets the crunch and the second mic adds depth and body and smooths out the high frequencies.

2) If it’s an open back combo, try a dynamic mic a foot or so back pointing on axis to the center cone. Then put a condenser mic behind the amp, placement depends on phase issues. Use your ears or there are math formulas to figure that out. Again, the dynamic is most of the sound and the second mic adds some body.

If you put the Vox on a stand, you will get a thinner tone, but add some dimension and remove unwanted floor reflection, so a second mic adding bass helps. If you place the amp 3-4’ from a wall with the rear mic 12-18” back from the amp, you’ll get more bass frequencies too.
Good advice. I had been sadly just sticking a Sennheiser E609 or an SM57 in the center of the cone. It works for my Fender'y amps. When I get to recording the MV50AC with the 2x10 this weekend I'll do something a bit different.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:11 am

The first 2 AC4TVs that I bought came with different tubes already upgraded, and others ones didn’t. Same with speakers.

The China brand tubes that come stock are very loud and raspy, which can be good if that’s what you’re looking for. From what I found, the JJ’s were next, maybe along with Mesa Boogies. Not bad, but louder and faster to break up and get raspy.

The Tung Sol and Mullard (newer) tubes were much smoother and a little quieter, and between those and speakers, really made the amps sound better - again, depending on what you’re going for.

I love the sound of the celestion blue I bought, and the Weber alnico Silver Bell. The Greenbacks also sound good, just in a different way. I think you have to like or learn to like the alnico sound. I was always used to ceramics, but instantly fell in love with with alnicos, with the Vox and the Silver Bell with the fender style amp. I’m going to try a ceramic with the fender, just to see if it helps to help offset the 2 sounds together in a better way.

It all makes a difference, and it’s all about what you like and what you’re looking for as far as tone. I can’t speak to recording much, that’s an art unto itself. I just capture as best I can when I do record.
-David

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:25 am

redchapterjubilee wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:28 am
fuzzjunkie wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:51 am

Good advice. I had been sadly just sticking a Sennheiser E609 or an SM57 in the center of the cone. It works for my Fender'y amps. When I get to recording the MV50AC with the 2x10 this weekend I'll do something a bit different.

What kind of Mic's & Mic positioning definitely have immense affect on Recorded Sound... Also position & location of the Amp or Amps..

I've tried many different kinds of Mic's from cheap junk Mic's to Neumann. Taking time to set up is everything.. Elevating your Amp above the floor is a good idea if possible. Angled Stands aren't expensive & give the Player truer perception of the Sound they're hearing. Dialing in the Amp, Guitar & FX is everything. Take some time, get it right.

Better Mic's usually sound better. But, you can get great recordings with an SM57... Amazing Mic! Getting the right angle, distance & finding the Speakers sweet spot takes a little time. It's worth it.. Take some time. You'll know it when you hear it..

Experiment with multiple Mic's. One I like is. Close Mic a SM57, have 1 or 2 Condenser Mic's several feet from the Amp & several feet apart. The best sounding one gets panned Center on the Mix. The other 2 blend on Mono Mix or for Stereo Pan L & R to desired taste.

Use 2 Amps & run them Stereo. Same approach. Ideally, have them in separate Rooms.

Theres a million ways

Have fun..

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:29 pm

just ordered a AC 15 VR...
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:16 am

I’m not familiar with that model, but I would think that you’re going to like it. You’ll have to let us know what your impressions of it are when it comes in.

The 15 watt seems to me to be a good in between amp, it sounds good at quieter levels, but can open up and hang pretty well when it needs to.

(it always sounds better louder...)
-David

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:09 am

I watched a few vids...there's definitely a difference between it and the AC15...but, not a huge difference.

The tube version seems a bit warmer and fuller...maybe bassier.

But for home/church playing I figured the VR would be fine and it was considerably cheaper.

I will post when it comes...shipped today!
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:00 pm

jakeisjake wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:09 am
I watched a few vids...there's definitely a difference between it and the AC15...but, not a huge difference.

The tube version seems a bit warmer and fuller...maybe bassier.

But for home/church playing I figured the VR would be fine and it was considerably cheaper.

I will post when it comes...shipped today!
Congrats!!