New bass amp day (NBAD)!

Make it loud here.
Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

New bass amp day (NBAD)!

Post by Singlebladepickup » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:57 pm

Recently got my first bass, and today I responded to a local Craigslist ad for a Behringer uktrabass bxl3000 for $100 or best offer. I offered $80 and he accepted.

This thing is supposedly 300 Watts. I have no idea if it’s pushing that, but at 3/10 it’s as loud as I’ll ever want my bass or synth to be for practice in my bedroom, and it’s probably good for gigging if I push it further.

15 inch speaker, fx loop, compression and “ultrabass” (not really sure what that is yet), EQ and 2 channels for low/high gain, DI and line out, and headphones jack. I had considered just getting a headphone amp in the first place but now I can jam with other people if I want, for very little extra money. I like the idea of being able to play with my effects pedals using guitar, bass, or synth through headphones. I can get weird late at night!

I’ve only played it a bit, but I can finally hear what my bass sounds like! I was really considering buying a fender rumble amp, but I don’t think I could’ve done much better for the price I paid. It’s definitely going to meet my needs for the foreseeable future.

sessylU
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New bass amp day (NBAD)!

Post by sessylU » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:53 am

From memory I think "ultrabass" adds another octave or two below. Something daft anyway.

I always liked the look of these.
a total idiot jackass

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:29 am

That is an awesome grab dude!! I've been between looking into a keyboard amp and getting one of those cool little Ampeg wedge shaped combos (the newer style), but didn't even think about local CL. Hmm...
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:41 pm

Nice buy! I've never used a Behrenger, but it probably is pushing 300 watts if it's rated and came with its own speaker. It typically takes more dial to get louder, the higher you go on the volume, but I'm sure it will be just fine for practice or a gig. Plus if there's a decent PA, you can line out/DI and let that carry some sound for you, too.

Check when using that ultrabass switch, though - sometimes, to give that subsonic boom boost, the amp robs from the upper registers a bit, or a lot. Maybe not on yours, but I've noticed that happen in other bass amps. Sometimes it might be worth it, it just depends on the sound you like, and there's nothing like that deep low!

It sounds like it's got all you need, and at a really cheap price. I hope you enjoy it!
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.