I pimped my Swart Atomic Jr Head

Make it loud here.
PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Bo Diddley Technical Institute of Cryptozoology (European HQ)

I pimped my Swart Atomic Jr Head

Post by PJazzmaster » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:41 am

I got this head a while ago because I needed something small, good sounding, flexible and portable (ideally with real reverb), ...for both recording and low volume rehearsal sessions and even small gigs. Basically to replace a Champ with something "better". It's great because it fits in a bigger backpack and I can basically plug it into almost any big or small cab around. Soon after I got the amp, I realized that there is a small gain switch inside it, only accessible with the front grill removed. I also somehow liked the raw look of the amp with the grill removed. So after a couple of months I realized more and more that the gain switch is really really usable and essential for my needs, depending on the instrument and desired sound/volume, I played around with it a lot so I ended up having the cover removed basically permanently to easily access the gain switch. It looked cool w/o the grill but I was not 100% satisfied.

Last edited by PJazzmaster on Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I pimped my Swart Atomic Jr Head

Post by PJazzmaster » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:50 am

So I had 2 ideas. #1 was change the original Jewel Light (which was purple and looking nice) to something that I had lying around for a while now: a NOS pilot light assembly with an integrated mechanical dimmer. This is a weird item from the 1950's, it suits the overall Swart design and product name perfectly (in my opinion). #2 was to get a small slice of Plexiglass cut into a certain size to replace the original front grill without losing the easy access to the gain switch. Yesterday I drilled to holes in it and I painted the edges of the Plexiglass black.
Last edited by PJazzmaster on Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PJazzmaster » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:55 am

I am really really satisfied with the outcome :) All all is 100% reversible, no new holes drilled or enlarged!

Amp OFF:

Amp ON(dimmer engaged which is great in dark rooms) :shifty:

Amp ON (undimmed) :freako:

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:55 am

Awesome. Really want to try one of these.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:38 pm

Dude, that looks great!

Perfect with the strip of plexi, some protection for the tubes, with access to the gain switch and room at the top to breathe. Didn't see it with the purple light on, but I think the green fits better with the theme and overall aesthetic, and the dimmer is a really cool touch.

And it's all reversible.

Brilliant!
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.