Fender Super-Sonics?

Make it loud here.
User avatar
secretroutines
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:09 pm

Fender Super-Sonics?

Post by secretroutines » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:07 pm

Ok, I need some advice. I need a new amp and I'm strongly considering a Super-Sonic 22, but I've come across some negativity about their QC. Does anyone on here have some long term experience with these that can confirm or deny some of the complaints? Mainly the popping switching channels and reverb being noisy.

Also, are these issues present on the 60 watt version? They are way more powerful than I need but since I'm going to use a load box it won't matter too much there.

User avatar
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 15012
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:30 am
Location: glasgow

Re: Fender Super-Sonics?

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:22 pm

i cant say i've owned one but my old practice space had one. the reverb was no more noisy than some amps i've used. it seemed to survive my bandmate running like 6 fuzz pedals, 3 distortions, 3 overdrives and a booster week after week
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

User avatar
MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:28 am
Location: Linz, Austria

Re: Fender Super-Sonics?

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:37 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:22 pm
it seemed to survive my bandmate running like 6 fuzz pedals, 3 distortions, 3 overdrives and a booster week after week
Well, I can't say much about the 22 or the 100 but I do own a Supersonic 60 head and it's my main amp since 2008 - 10 years - with only one tube change needed. So reliable. Even survived a bad high current cable that roasted half my pedalboard back in 2008. And I also play multiple fuzz pedals and boosts through it week after week.
It's a bit too loud (I play it at 0,5 and during rehearsals max. at 1,5x - is this a general Fender issue?) but I talked to my technician lately and we will try out different preamp tubes soon. That would be my tip for you as well! Get a Supersonic 60, change the first preamp tube. Or compare them if you have the chance to! :)
Great amps!

User avatar
BarnyardCoral
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:22 pm

Re: Fender Super-Sonics?

Post by BarnyardCoral » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:35 pm

secretroutines wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:07 pm
Ok, I need some advice. I need a new amp and I'm strongly considering a Super-Sonic 22, but I've come across some negativity about their QC. Does anyone on here have some long term experience with these that can confirm or deny some of the complaints? Mainly the popping switching channels and reverb being noisy.

Also, are these issues present on the 60 watt version? They are way more powerful than I need but since I'm going to use a load box it won't matter too much there.
Mine was built in '10 and I never had any issues with popping. It's over of those things you need to check with each amp. If you're buying it off Reverb, well... buyer beware.
And I will be the one to hold Larry Csonka down, kiss him so hard, I'll take Larry Csonka's breath away...

User avatar
Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1532
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:39 pm

Re: Fender Super-Sonics?

Post by Larsongs » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:39 am

I'm curious. Why a Super Sonic? Over a DRRI, Vibrolux, Super Reverb or Twin Reverb?

User avatar
BarnyardCoral
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:22 pm

Re: Fender Super-Sonics?

Post by BarnyardCoral » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:53 am

Larsongs wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:39 am
I'm curious. Why a Super Sonic? Over a DRRI, Vibrolux, Super Reverb or Twin Reverb?
I can't speak for OP, obvs, but with two channels (fat boost on clean), a very versatile tone stack with two gain knobs on the OD side, and an FX loop, I'm surprised it isn't more popular. It's very similar to the DRRI in the clean tone. Some folks are stand-offish about it because it used to have a problem with popping noises when you change channels but Fender fixed that.

As for why this over a Super Reverb or Twin, well you could always get the SS60 if you play that loud and/or need the clean headroom. The SS22 breaks up pretty early, like 3-4 on the dial.

Why the SS22 over any of those amps? Same reason you'd take any of those amps over any of the others. Different options, power, sound, versatility.
And I will be the one to hold Larry Csonka down, kiss him so hard, I'll take Larry Csonka's breath away...

User avatar
secretroutines
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:09 pm

Re: Fender Super-Sonics?

Post by secretroutines » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:51 am

Barnyard is right, I really like the fact they are a BFDR platform, an option to switch to a more Tweed-style tone stack, and an overdrive channel (I'm really in need of a “normal” driven sound) with a great reverb and FX loop. Honestly, it checks too many boxes to not seriously consider if you prefer Fender amps. I never ended up getting one because I'm not playing shows so dropping a grand on an amp isn't a priority. I've been taking my time to pick out THE amp I want to use.

As far as wattage goes, after doing sound for a venue and live tracking, I'm really apprehensive about too much power, because I eyerolled too much at folks who had waayyy too much for a club gig and the house sound suffers. I gigged on a modded DeVille 410 for years and never once needed that much power. I used an AC30 for awhile on and off and it was much more appropriate, but still a bit too much because a 212 generates A LOT of volume. So, I'm kinda looking for something in the 20-40 watt range going to a 112 or 210 cab which should work in about any situation I'm going to find myself in.

User avatar
secretroutines
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:09 pm

Re: Fender Super-Sonics?

Post by secretroutines » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:55 am

I should also note, I've found that every Fender amp sounds best with the volume at around 3-5. Dave Cobb gave that tip in an RR and it is sooo true.

User avatar
BarnyardCoral
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:22 pm

Re: Fender Super-Sonics?

Post by BarnyardCoral » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:15 am

secretroutines wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:55 am
I should also note, I've found that every Fender amp sounds best with the volume at around 3-5. Dave Cobb gave that tip in an RR and it is sooo true.
Yep, that was the sweet spot on my SS22. Sounded awesome. Hard to find a 6V6 amp with those specs at that price. You ever checked out the Vox TB18C1 or TB35C1/2? Both are 6V6 amps ( the TB35 is a quad 6V6!) and can be found for less than the SS22 on Reverb. Nobody knew who those amps were for when they first came out and they never got big but I have heard great reviews for them. Like an AC15 and a DRRI had a baby.
And I will be the one to hold Larry Csonka down, kiss him so hard, I'll take Larry Csonka's breath away...

User avatar
secretroutines
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:09 pm

Re: Fender Super-Sonics?

Post by secretroutines » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:04 am

BarnyardCoral wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:15 am
secretroutines wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:55 am
I should also note, I've found that every Fender amp sounds best with the volume at around 3-5. Dave Cobb gave that tip in an RR and it is sooo true.
Yep, that was the sweet spot on my SS22. Sounded awesome. Hard to find a 6V6 amp with those specs at that price. You ever checked out the Vox TB18C1 or TB35C1/2? Both are 6V6 amps ( the TB35 is a quad 6V6!) and can be found for less than the SS22 on Reverb. Nobody knew who those amps were for when they first came out and they never got big but I have heard great reviews for them. Like an AC15 and a DRRI had a baby.
I'm going to have to check out those Vox amps! My love of Vox refuses to stop even though I've probably had 3 AC30's now.

User avatar
Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1532
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:39 pm

Re: Fender Super-Sonics?

Post by Larsongs » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:00 am

Why did they discontinue that TB Amp?

There's an 18 listed online at GC for $399 if interested. Just a FYI..

My Vox AC15CC1X (Blue Spkr) seems equally loud as my 65 DRRI. I like them both. I'm a little more partial to the Vox for it's ability to get Dirty at lower volume levels.. Both Amps sound great, are versatile, handle just about any Guitar great, are loud enough for Studio use & just about any Venue other than multi thousand Seat Concert Halls.. They are also bullet proof & have no issues. IMO they are almost perfect little Amps..

User avatar
BarnyardCoral
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:22 pm

Re: Fender Super-Sonics?

Post by BarnyardCoral » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:17 pm

Larsongs wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:00 am
Why did they discontinue that TB Amp?

There's an 18 listed online at GC for $399 if interested. Just a FYI..

My Vox AC15CC1X (Blue Spkr) seems equally loud as my 65 DRRI. I like them both. I'm a little more partial to the Vox for it's ability to get Dirty at lower volume levels.. Both Amps sound great, are versatile, handle just about any Guitar great, are loud enough for Studio use & just about any Venue other than multi thousand Seat Concert Halls.. They are also bullet proof & have no issues. IMO they are almost perfect little Amps..
As I mentioned previously, by all accounts, Vox didn't really promote the TB well and nobody knew who they were marketing this amp for. Not to mention it doesn't typically go well for brand A when they're known for one thing but try to do brand B's thing, not off the bat anyway. They find a few buyers who might rave over them but largely fly under the radar, though occasionally make a comeback later on (see: Fender Jazzmaster and '72 Tele Deluxe). Vox tried to do the Fender 6V6 thing and hired amp guru Tony Bruno to help design it (I know, I'd never heard of him before the TB15/35 either). Nice thing is, like a lot of equipment from the big 3 that remains obscure and/or was never used by any well-known musicians, you can eventually find em cheap later on.

I don't think anyone is complaining about or thinking little of the AC or DRRI. They're both excellent little combos. There's a reason why they're the template for so many other amps. That's awesome that you have both. I'd happily have either one.
And I will be the one to hold Larry Csonka down, kiss him so hard, I'll take Larry Csonka's breath away...

User avatar
secretroutines
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:09 pm

Re: Fender Super-Sonics?

Post by secretroutines » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:14 pm

I've watched a few videos and I like them quiet a bit. I wish they had a channel switch, but I could live without it with my pedals. But D A N G that is a great sounding drive out of it.

User avatar
stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3527
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:55 am
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Contact:

Re: Fender Super-Sonics?

Post by stevejamsecono » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:10 pm

I've never owned one, but I played a Supersonic 60 in a backline once and was really into it. I used the gain channel up at a healthy volume with an SD Booster in front and it sounded wonderful. Nice spongy rockin' sound that cleaned up great with the volume knob, and with the boost it went over the top quite pleasingly.

As with any amp, I'd say use your ears before you use anything else. Amps that are beloved may not be the sound you're after, and amps that people scoff at might be exactly what you are into. I can't imagine Jack White gravitated towards the Silvertones based on their reliability. Find the sound, and then figure out what you gotta do to keep it running. Just my 2 cents.
OSG Resident Yamaha Fanboy

User avatar
secretroutines
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:09 pm

Re: Fender Super-Sonics?

Post by secretroutines » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:06 pm

stevejamsecono wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:10 pm
I've never owned one, but I played a Supersonic 60 in a backline once and was really into it. I used the gain channel up at a healthy volume with an SD Booster in front and it sounded wonderful. Nice spongy rockin' sound that cleaned up great with the volume knob, and with the boost it went over the top quite pleasingly.

As with any amp, I'd say use your ears before you use anything else. Amps that are beloved may not be the sound you're after, and amps that people scoff at might be exactly what you are into. I can't imagine Jack White gravitated towards the Silvertones based on their reliability. Find the sound, and then figure out what you gotta do to keep it running. Just my 2 cents.
The reliability question is more because I've had amps I love die, and I'd like to avoid it again. It's not so much a “how do they sound” as a “are they a headache” question. I pretty much can get what I like from any amp that does a Fender-y clean or even a Vox clean, but I want that and a few other things. So it's more narrowing down amps that have the feature set I want and are reliable. I don't want another Egnater scenario where it goes from “this thing rules” to “this thing is dead” because it's just more hassle than I have time for to deal with QC flaws that can be vetted.

Post Reply