Did Robert Smith ever actually use a JC-120? (Or...JC-160 vs. 120 vs. 77)

Make it loud here.
Gswearengin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Did Robert Smith ever actually use a JC-120? (Or...JC-160 vs. 120 vs. 77)

Post by Gswearengin » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:42 pm

Could this hideous thing be just the ticket?

Appears to be an early 160 converted to a 2x10 in pretty beaten up shape. But if it works, it could actually be perfect for what I'm after.

Dude was asking €125 in a different ad and has posted it 3 times. I wonder if he would ship it. I wonder how easily I could find a couple replacement knobs, and if the grille would clean up? Craziness...

Gary

Gswearengin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Did Robert Smith ever actually use a JC-120? (Or...JC-160 vs. 120 vs. 77)

Post by Gswearengin » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:05 pm

Okay, I so I went and checked out that local JC-120 this evening and instantly fell in love, so of course I bought it:

Pardon the crappy pic. Pretty early model...good condition. Serial number indicates October of 1976. Pretty good shape and sounds fantastic! Dude said he has owned multiple JC-120s in the past and this one was the best sounding. A knob has been added to the back to control the chorus depth (dude was amazed I figured out what it was right away). I wanted to say one of the line out jacks had obviously been replaced, but I just realised that an additional jack has actually been added, so I'll have to figure out what that is.

I really do think there is something to the older ones (pre '80) sounding better. I also did some research and found out that it's only these amps that essentially have a built-in CE-1 circuit. After that, the chip changed and it's more like a CE-2. I was worried it would be too loud, I was concerned about getting something with 12"s instead of 10"s, but as soon as I played through it I was hooked.

Have only played it a few minutes at home and it seems like maybe it sounds a little less glorious, hiss seems more noticeable, etc. But it's late, and I'm also convinced the tiny little room I play in in my basement is about as terrible sounding as they come. Oh well...

Amp collection is pretty much complete now!

Thanks,

Gary