Best portable/battery amp?

Make it loud here.
somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Best portable/battery amp?

Post by somanytoys » Fri May 31, 2019 8:08 am

Yeah, and you use it a lot because it's pretty damn great, isn't it?!?

I'm going to end up with one, I know it. Maybe not really soon, but I'll most likely end up with one. Hopefully the prices come down at some point, it seems to happen with almost everything else. It's not that I don't think that it's necessarily worth the price, it's just expensive for what it is.

I've almost stopped trying to sell things because the prices for used things are so ridiculously low, and sometimes becomes a price war competition. Things are worth more to me as a door stop until I use them again or give away to some young musician, than selling them for 1/3 of what I paid for them.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

lhwarp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by lhwarp » Fri May 31, 2019 12:30 pm

Best portable/battery amp?

For me, it would certainly be the Roland MicroCube - I have a red one and I wouldn't part with it... Exactly like this one below :

-lhwarp

Dollywitch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dollywitch » Fri May 31, 2019 2:27 pm

somanytoys wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:37 am
I can't seem to get the Yamaha THR10C out of my head. I just think that the price is kind of high.

Right now I'm using 2 Vox Amplugs (VC30 and Bass models) with the little 2 watt speaker cabs they sell for them, for when I travel or sit outside and play. They're cool and sound pretty good for what they are, especially for hotel room settings where you have to stay pretty low, but I have a whole backpack full of stuff for it - the 2 little amps, the pedals I use (Barber Direct Drive, VFE Mermaid and a Zoom CDR), the patch cables and the power cables and some headphones...it's pretty cool, but it's a a bit of a task to set up and break down. But this is still the setup that I would travel with, because if this stuff ever got stolen, I wouldn't be quite as pissed off and upset as I would about other things I have being stolen. I haven't ever had anything stolen at a hotel, but I hear about it happening.

Recently though, for playing outside, I've stared using my Bugera T5 and a very small speaker cab, with a modded TS9 stacked into a modded BD-2 and a Keeley 30MS. It's sounds really good and it's a little easier to set up and break down .

The Yamaha doesn't seem to accept pedals at all, it's got its own onboard effects and it emulates different amps, so it doesn't seem to need them. That just seems so neat and easy, plop it down, plug it in (unless you're using batteries) and start playing. That's pretty appealing.

It's just a lot of money for a desktop amp. I may have to go see if I can try one out somewhere, and that will either put the fire out or pour more gas on it.
Tbh rather than use their cabs, it might be better to use a Creative Muvo 2C which has more bass and is probably louder. That's what I've been using as a mini rig right now. I still might do that sometimes, but the Katana weighs almost nothing.

Bert Camenbert
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bert Camenbert » Fri May 31, 2019 3:59 pm

somanytoys wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:08 am
For what it is, it's pretty good. It gives you a decent sounding approximation of a tube amp. Its touch sensitivity and response to volume changes is in the ball park of a tube amp. The included effects are good, and you can tweak them, and the amp, to make them sound even better. However, I don't think it sounds as good as a decent tube amp. But if you just want to practice for a few minutes here and there, without having to fire up one of the big boys, it's great!

OV7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by OV7 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:31 am

I love my mini Marshall!

https://youtu.be/3jczLwRi9L4
Signature left blank until I can think of something clever.

FEXII
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FEXII » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:42 am

jthomas wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 2:56 pm
Don't forget the Pignose.
Maggieo wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 7:04 am
Like the Highlander, there can be only one:

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:59 pm

Bert Camenbert wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 3:59 pm
somanytoys wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:08 am
For what it is, it's pretty good. It gives you a decent sounding approximation of a tube amp. Its touch sensitivity and response to volume changes is in the ball park of a tube amp. The included effects are good, and you can tweak them, and the amp, to make them sound even better. However, I don't think it sounds as good as a decent tube amp. But if you just want to practice for a few minutes here and there, without having to fire up one of the big boys, it's great!
Well, it would be nice to have something between the little Voxes and the smaller amps (5 watt) that I use, especially for just grabbing to go and quick & easy plug & play. I like that the THR is self contained, with its own effects. It makes it standalone portable, but kind of sucks in another way because I love pedals.

Those little Voxes are cool for playing in a hotel room, but even those can get too loud for that. And they sound good up to a point, and I don't really know if it's the little heads or the speakers that start to get nasty at higher volumes, but I suspect it's the speakers. They're just little 2 watt speaker cabs with - what, 3 inch speakers? I don't even know, honestly. The whole cabinet might be 4" across... I also have headphones, but there's no fun in that...
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.