Best portable/battery amp?

Make it loud here.
MC3
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Best portable/battery amp?

Post by MC3 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:43 pm

I'm currently studying abroad and I picked up a Boss Katana Mini for the time. I also picked up a cheap squier strats for like 50 bucks when I got here. My plan was to sell both for cheap just before I come home, but I think I'm gonna keep the Katana. For it's size and price, it's pretty damn nice. It also has a delay which is a nice touch. I don't really play with much delay, but I use it as a faux-reverb and it works great. Also it is surprisingly loud

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:03 pm

somanytoys wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:09 am
The ZT is cool, it’s loud for its size, and even handles bass well with its little speaker. And it goes to what, like 200 watts if you use an external speaker? Too bad you can’t bypass the preamp, or I might have kept it just to use the power amp stage for a bass preamp.

I didn’t like the base sounds of it, tho, it had a very squashed, pinched sound to me, even with other speakers. Like it was in a tunnel or something. And I found that it colored my pedals’ sounds more than they colored its sounds.
Fair enough. My experience with it was only a few minutes. I can't think of a musical situation it would be right for that my Vibro Champ wouldn't be better for.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:20 am

MC3 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:43 pm
I'm currently studying abroad and I picked up a Boss Katana Mini for the time. I also picked up a cheap squier strats for like 50 bucks when I got here. My plan was to sell both for cheap just before I come home, but I think I'm gonna keep the Katana. For it's size and price, it's pretty damn nice. It also has a delay which is a nice touch. I don't really play with much delay, but I use it as a faux-reverb and it works great. Also it is surprisingly loud
Is the Power compatible for USA?

MC3
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MC3 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:05 pm

Larsongs wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:20 am
MC3 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:43 pm
Is the Power compatible for USA?
I bought it without the power chord, so it runs on AA batteries. If I ever want to plug it in, it just takes a regular 9V AC power supply

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:39 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:03 pm
somanytoys wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:09 am
The ZT is cool, it’s loud for its size, and even handles bass well with its little speaker. And it goes to what, like 200 watts if you use an external speaker? Too bad you can’t bypass the preamp, or I might have kept it just to use the power amp stage for a bass preamp.

I didn’t like the base sounds of it, tho, it had a very squashed, pinched sound to me, even with other speakers. Like it was in a tunnel or something. And I found that it colored my pedals’ sounds more than they colored its sounds.
Fair enough. My experience with it was only a few minutes. I can't think of a musical situation it would be right for that my Vibro Champ wouldn't be better for.
You may have a different experience with it, if you try one out. It's just that my experience wasn't great, after a long time of owning it and trying many things to make it work for me. It worked okay for a bass practice amp, but it was too expensive for that purpose, and using a larger speaker didn't improve the tone of the preamp to me, it even made the bass sound funny.

They're not cheap, so I wanted to let you know what I had experienced, maybe let you know what to look out for, more than you might have otherwise, in case you were thinking about getting one.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.