Recommendations for tweed cleans

Make it loud here.
Dollywitch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Recommendations for tweed cleans

Post by Dollywitch » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:24 am

Also have you considered looking at the Bassbreakers? Trying to find a good demo of cleans but my internet is balls atm. I remember being impressed with them a while back. I think it might be the closest you can get to a Bassman tone without getting a full on Bassman. Apparently it's based on the '59 circuitry, but with a built in attenuator and more tone options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHsvjOLTFGs

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:15 pm

I've got no comment for amplifier itself, but if you're looking for different volume levels/uses, what about an extension cabinet? Big cab for playing with a band and the combo speaker for at home?
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wproffitt » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:25 am

-If you’re interested in building a bassman, I say go for it! It’s a fabulous sounding amp. Did I need the amp that I built? No. Did I save any money doing it? When compared to buying vintage or boutique, yes. When compared to buying some other nice sounding amp without a fancy name, definitely not. Did I have fun and get an awesome sounding amp? Totally!
-To Brad’s point about running the amp through a 2x10 combo or cabinet makes sense from a volume perspective. You’ll still have plenty of volume on tap, too, should you want it.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:42 am

Without getting into the differences of the models, I would tend to say build something that A) you like the sound of most, and B) will have the volume that you want/need for hanging with the band. You'd have the volume you need in a band setting with at least one of your amps, and at home you can play the Ampeg and/or attenuate the larger amp when you want to play it at home levels. Bassman sounds more like what you're looking for, I doubt you'd regret it.

Also, whatever you do decide to go with, you can also consider using both amps at practice. The sound is usually (or at least seems) bigger with 2 amps & speakers pushing sound around. Plus, if your other amp will handle a lot of the heavy lifting, that might suddenly give your Ampeg just enough voice in the mix to make a difference and hear it, and complement the sound of the other amp. If not, leave it at home and just use your big boy at practice.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.