fender reverb ri 63 lost the reverb

Make it loud here.
ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

fender reverb ri 63 lost the reverb

Post by ludobag1 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:56 am

my reverb lost the reverb when i am playing ,need to shake it a little and the sound come back ,where to look at ?
i have pull out the tube and reput them to clean the pins
at first i have think it is my 6k6 that is be loose but in fact i have tighten the clip and it is similary ?
in fact i don't loose the dry sound , i lost the wet sound with the reverb
do you have an idéa ? ,toorrow i will inspect it to find a colder solder joint or a loose wire
as i am no cool with tube circuit du to high tension i will wait tomorrow to inspect it ,i hope the caps were discharge

BatDog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: fender reverb ri 63 lost the reverb

Post by BatDog » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:12 pm

Try replacing the actual cable to the reverb tank!
We got a couple of dodgy ones at the music store I worked at and they all had bad cables (literally fell apart when unplugging them)...

mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mijmog » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:22 pm

I've had so many problems with those reissue tanks.

As BatDog said, check the cables, swap with some trusted ones and check the connections around the tank.

If you're worried about the caps, take it to a tech.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:22 pm

I'm having a similar problem with my Laney VC30. I just had the reverb plate replaced a year or 2 ago, and last time I played the amp it just hums when the reverb is turned up. Still get dry sound, but no reverb and an increasing hum (that gets LOUD) as the reverb knob is turned up.

I should probably take a look at the cable when I get a chance.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:58 pm

will try to snap the rca ,but for me i is something different cause it work and since it is hot it lost the reverb and a little shake make it reappears
look like something is getting hot and doesn't do the contact , i have look at the jack ,it is not them
will try to see if there is not cold soldering or a wire sucpitious also , also i will try to swap the 6k6 cause it is not firmly attach i find
i can do soldering ,as i have done lot of effect pedal , i am just scare to put my hand in with tension (160v) i see on the schematic,it is really less than an amp (450v or more) with the caps discharge i can do the routing with the multimeter ,but i avoid with tension

it is safe ,all the caps are discharge ,i take a look of inside

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:48 am

i spend a little hour to troubeshoting what was wrong ,it was the tank ,a solder where the wire was cut ,bad contact ,i spend time also to reflow suspect solder in verb too ,need to try it long time too see if it was the culprit

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:46 pm

I hope that fixed it, and you're good to go.

I still need to take my amp down off the stand and take a look in the back, to see if it's just the cable or what. I hope so.
-David

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:29 am

carefull of cap can ,but if they are discharge (put a multimeter to be sure ) the rest is like a big effect pedal ,then follow the path of the signal ,jack ,first stage ect ..... (need schematics of course) and all the solder you find suspect redo it ,it is silly but a solder can be cold and even the wire is in and on componement the electricity don't pass ,if there is alreday too much solder use a pump to otate and redo new solder , i have an old fuzz were the solder were cold ,the best thing i do was to make new one ,and after it works!
for new amp or effect the solder they use are rohs ,it is a pity cause you need to heat it very much more than standard flux with plomb (edited by Admin: he is referring to "Lead") ,then sometimes they fails .... remplace this by standard solder and it work

and if this simple way don't work ,bring it to a good tech ,he will find the trouble easily cause it will mesure the circuit in charge (thing i don't do ,too rissky to my tastes)

for your trouble i will exam the pot ,if it is oxided it can do this thing ,contact cleaner in + few rotations ,made it unpluged ,old pot can oxyd and before changing it a few cleaning save them ,my old fuzz have this ,all the circuit work ,but no sound ?ci plug it nothing ? i turn the pot to see ! bam i have to escape cause the sound hurt my ears !

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:37 pm

Haha - yeah, you have to be careful with that, the squealing can be horrible.

I took my AC15 partially apart earlier to replace the tubes, but yesterday I took it fully apart to replace the speaker. As I did it, I had to unhook the reverb leads - i took a picture first, so that I’m not trying to guess which way they go back in later.

So assuming it’s the same setup (I’m pretty sure it is), I should be able to check it quickly, if I can get to it easily. The Laney has a cage protecting the electronics, but an open back otherwise. I’ll take it apart if I have to.
Eventually, when I pull it back out.

Thanks for the tip on the oxidation, the reverb is new but the amp is old. I’m not even sure when Laney started making these VC30s, but it’s a very early model.
-David