Talking Heads amps

Make it loud here.
Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Talking Heads amps

Post by Tafarel » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:49 am

Normally, he's very reasonable. I'm not sure why he offered me a trade on a guitar that I'd evinced no interest in, only to pull back considerably on something I was. Oh well. I'm over it. Sorry I didn't see you however. A gold sparkle jet is something I've never had. I would like to have seen that. I still may get the chance -- Gretsch guitars don't move very fast around here.

I can't wait to see the unicorn. Enjoy the Milkman.
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:27 pm

Tafarel wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:49 am
Normally, he's very reasonable. I'm not sure why he offered me a trade on a guitar that I'd evinced no interest in, only to pull back considerably on something I was. Oh well. I'm over it. Sorry I didn't see you however. A gold sparkle jet is something I've never had. I would like to have seen that. I still may get the chance -- Gretsch guitars don't move very fast around here.

I can't wait to see the unicorn. Enjoy the Milkman.
What guitar did he want you to get? He was really trying to get me to go for that Eastman gold top with the P-90s.

I'm really enjoying the Milkman. It loves my Strymon Deco.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:45 am

Maggieo wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:27 pm
What guitar did he want you to get? He was really trying to get me to go for that Eastman gold top with the P-90s.

Yes! I used a Deco through mine, as well and it was brilliant. I could get most of the Marc Ribot tones that I wanted.

He mentioned he'd trade me a pink paisley Jazzmaster for my tele. I love JMs, but I have four already and this would see no play whatsoever. I saw the Eastman -- it looked great. I am so set in my ways at this point that I seem to only look at Jazzmasters, and even then, after the purchase of the daphne blue JM, I am sated as far as guitars go.

Amps on the other hand...
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:38 pm

Tafarel wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:45 am
Maggieo wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:27 pm

Yes! I used a Deco through mine, as well and it was brilliant. I could get most of the Marc Ribot tones that I wanted.

He mentioned he'd trade me a pink paisley Jazzmaster for my tele. I love JMs, but I have four already and this would see no play whatsoever. I saw the Eastman -- it looked great. I am so set in my ways at this point that I seem to only look at Jazzmasters, and even then, after the purchase of the daphne blue JM, I am sated as far as guitars go.

Amps on the other hand...
I thought about that Paisley JM, but it's MIJ and I'd have to swap out the PUPs and do a full Mastery upgrade on it.

My Electrosonic is sitting in the fancy room, just waiting for you to play it... :whistle:
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:18 am

Maggieo wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:38 pm
I thought about that Paisley JM, but it's MIJ and I'd have to swap out the PUPs and do a full Mastery upgrade on it.

My Electrosonic is sitting in the fancy room, just waiting for you to play it... :whistle:
Yeah, same here. I didn't like the sound of it. What Electrosonic model is it? My band is not particularly loud, but I need a really clean pedal platform. I was interested in those a number of years ago, and was drooling over them on their website... and then they just... poof!

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:13 am

Tafarel wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:18 am
Maggieo wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:38 pm

Yeah, same here. I didn't like the sound of it. What Electrosonic model is it? My band is not particularly loud, but I need a really clean pedal platform. I was interested in those a number of years ago, and was drooling over them on their website... and then they just... poof!
It's a Thermosonic. It's got more headroom than the sky and is impossibly loud for a 10W amp. The tone pot is a bit of a weird one- it mostly tweaks the midrange.

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:51 am

I didn't get a chance to see it when I was there over the noon hour. I made a deal over the phone with Rob, since he knew the guitar I wanted to trade. I drove over on my noon hour, brought the guitar in, Rob had the amp ready as well as the other various and sundry things that were part of the deal. I walked it out to my car and put them in the trunk.

I went back in to say thanks and the guy who was buying your Gretsch was playing the guitar I'd just brought in and making a deal with Rob for it.

Whirlwind.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:47 am

Tafarel wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:51 am
I didn't get a chance to see it when I was there over the noon hour. I made a deal over the phone with Rob, since he knew the guitar I wanted to trade. I drove over on my noon hour, brought the guitar in, Rob had the amp ready as well as the other various and sundry things that were part of the deal. I walked it out to my car and put them in the trunk.

I went back in to say thanks and the guy who was buying your Gretsch was playing the guitar I'd just brought in and making a deal with Rob for it.

Whirlwind.
We're gonna need to coordinate our trades from now on!

What guitar did you trade for what amp?

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:12 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:47 am
We're gonna need to coordinate our trades from now on!

What guitar did you trade for what amp?
I had a Guild F-47 (all maple) that I have only played once in the last three years. It's a great guitar, but I felt a pang of guilt every time I saw the rarely-opened case sitting in the corner. The new owner will probably give it a lot more love, which it deserves.

I traded it for a Vox AC15HW1 and an Acclam pedal board -- which is a brilliant piece of kit. I also got a MXR shin-juku drive pedal. We had practice last night and I was able to dial in some pretty sweet sounds through both; there's more work to do, however. I am a huge Television fan and I love the sound they get from their AC30s on the Jools Holland Show. Those are 1991-92 Vox "Vintage" model AC30TBRs. A friend of mine has one and it is an amazing sounding amp. Unfortunately, I have to stick with something slightly less weighty. I am one misalignment away from a back operation to repair two vertebrae. The AC15 has the soundz, tho.

... and it weighs a LOT less.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:45 pm

I love those AC15HWs!!! Good score!

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:37 am

A suggestion, if you don’t already use one - get a furniture dolly or a rack casterboard to move you amp. I bought both (the rack casterboard from Seismic Audio).

You can put some heavy foam or something similar beteeen it and your amp to minimize bumps you hit as it rolls along to absorb some shock for your tubes and any other components that might need it.

I know you still have to lift it some, but carrying it is almost worse for your back.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:27 am

somanytoys wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:37 am
A suggestion, if you don’t already use one - get a furniture dolly or a rack casterboard to move you amp. I bought both (the rack casterboard from Seismic Audio).

You can put some heavy foam or something similar beteeen it and your amp to minimize bumps you hit as it rolls along to absorb some shock for your tubes and any other components that might need it.

I know you still have to lift it some, but carrying it is almost worse for your back.
A great suggestion. I have a furniture dolly that I use for shifting my amps -- however, I also have a bass player for that, as well ;)

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:31 am

Good, didn’t know if you had already thought of that or not, but it’s definitely worth throwing out there. Every time.

I have 2 bass stacks and a big 4x10 cab that stay on the caster boards to move around easily, and a furniture dolly for other amps or cabs and, you know, furniture. :D

Back in the day I used to move my SWR stack by putting the Big Ben cab on the Redhead and the poweramp rack on top, because the Redhead has casters.
But it’s easier leaving it all set up & stacked properly using the casterboard.

That’s pretty funny, it’s cool that you have a bass player that is willing to help. I can just hear some of the typical bass player jokes now! I’ve heard a lot of them, being a bass player most of my life, but there are good jokes for every member of the band.
-David

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:53 am

Yeah, the bass player in our band is a great musician, a great friend, as well as just a wonderful person. He is always willing to help, and since he has a Subaru Outback, drives the gear to all our gigs. Honestly, he is the MVP of our band.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:12 am

That’s really cool. It’s great to find people that you enjoy playing with, but also finding a great person like that is awesome. Congratulations.
-David