NAD - Danelectro DM-25

Make it loud here.
adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NAD - Danelectro DM-25

Post by adamrobertt » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:28 pm

Picked this up somewhat impulsively at a good price. Amp is in really clean shape for its age, and works perfectly, inlcuding the reverb and tremolo. Even has the footswitch.

It sounds good, but when dimed it's really not very loud at all and doesn't distort - I hear these are supposed to have a nice grind when maxed out.

Anyone know anything about these amps and what I should look for? The way the speaker cable connects is very odd - a long shielded cord comes out of the chassis and goes into the speaker from the back of the cabinet. Any way to upgrade that too?

Also - it still has the two prong cord. How hard is it to swap out for a 3 prong? Also, is plugging the 2 prong into one of those 3 prong adapter things good enough?

Here's a shitty picture for now: Image

Scout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NAD - Danelectro DM-25

Post by Scout » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:12 am

It’s been a while but I had that amp and other Dans all the way up to the DM100 with 6- 10’s. It should be plenty loud enough but didn’t get too overdriven . I would get new power tubes first and see how that changes the sound. The ungrounded cord can be changed pretty easily, you have to disable the ground switch in the back which reverses polarity. The three prong adapter is for using in two prong receptacles , it already has a two prong plug.

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:44 am

Scout wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:12 am
It’s been a while but I had that amp and other Dans all the way up to the DM100 with 6- 10’s. It should be plenty loud enough but didn’t get too overdriven . I would get new power tubes first and see how that changes the sound. The ungrounded cord can be changed pretty easily, you have to disable the ground switch in the back which reverses polarity. The three prong adapter is for using in two prong receptacles , it already has a two prong plug.
Thanks for the reply. I ordered all new tubes for it since they appear to be the original tubes, or at least are all very old... some weren't in great shape. It does have a LOT of background hiss.. very noisy. Not sure what that's about.

Scout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Scout » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:07 am

No problem, amps as old as that need servicing at some point, the capacitors fail and the resistors go out of spec from aging. Not an expensive fix from an amp tech, pretty standard maintenance, around me it’s usually 50 to 150 for tubes and caps. I service my own amps but there is a level of skill needed. You should be able to bring it back to an acceptable level of noise while playing, still may be noisy at idle more than some folks like but that’s vintage amps.