Pick a Combo for my 10" Speaker

Make it loud here.
Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Pick a Combo for my 10" Speaker

Post by Danley » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:39 am

Tone Tubby Humboldt ceramic 10" , 16 ohm 25 watt. I have to admit it's not a great fit in my Vox AC4C1 (which I'm selling anyway) - but I do want to hold on to the Tone Tubby.

Any suggestions for 'working backwards?' Right now I lean toward the VHT Special 6 as a possible candidate, a bit dismayed though that there's apparently not an Orange Crush model that will fit it (The Crush 35 is both too-high wattage and 4 ohm.) I'm open to just about any style, would just be nice to have a small-ish cheap tube combo to keep in one room or the other.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Pick a Combo for my 10" Speaker

Post by somanytoys » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:51 am

That’s a shame it didn’t work in your Vox, but they’re very picky.

In my 2 AC4s (TV & C1) 10s I used a Celestion 80th anniversary V10 (Vintage) and a Weber Silver 10 (respectively). Both sound really good, in case you decide to get another speaker to try instead of selling the Vox.

Sorry, but I have no idea what the Tubby would sound good with. I’ve never used one, that I’m aware of.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:08 am

somanytoys wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:51 am
That’s a shame it didn’t work in your Vox, but they’re very picky.

In my 2 AC4s (TV & C1) 10s I used a Celestion 80th anniversary V10 (Vintage) and a Weber Silver 10 (respectively). Both sound really good, in case you decide to get another speaker to try instead of selling the Vox.

Sorry, but I have no idea what the Tubby would sound good with. I’ve never used one, that I’m aware of.
The Vox is pretty much out the door. I didn't hate it, but it wasn't getting played much so sort of ready for something new. The stock speaker actually wasn't so bad, once I figured out the right tubes for the amp and broke it in a lot of the inherent shrillness was mitigated.

I just happened to get a good deal on the Tone Tubby, and figure if I get some other amp it'll probably be worth holding onto it for an upgrade; that led me to wondering if there's a particular amp that speaker would be well suited to. Sort of wish I'd kept my Orange AD5 to try it out in.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:29 am

I haven't heard & am not familiar with this Speaker either? What does it sound most like?

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:51 am

Larsongs wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:29 am
I haven't heard & am not familiar with this Speaker either? What does it sound most like?
Part of the reason I'm asking is in case anyone else is familiar with the speaker ;D Because I am not well versed in speakers in general. Some people play amps and immediately say 'yep, needs a new speaker' which alarms me; I'm never sure whether I'm dealing with a speaker I don't like, or just an amp I don't like.

I bought this one thinking I got a deal on a speaker that was *obviously* better quality than whatever knock-off is in my Chinese Vox, but in the Vox it has way too much spiky high-end to the point the EQ controls almost have no impact. Tried to get used to it but couldn't. My guess is an alnico speaker would have been a better speaker for the Vox; but since I'm not keeping the Vox anyway I figure its replacement ought to be my chance to see what my 'nice' speaker can do. So I'm guessing the next amp needs to be naturally voiced a bit darker, but clearly I'm not an expert.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:09 am

Arguably most find the best sounding Speaker for Vox are The Celestion Alnico Blue (Darker sound) & the Celestion Greenback (Brighter sound)....

Speakers in new Amps need break in time to sound the way their meant to sound.. At least 100 hours..

I'm not a fan of the AC4 sound unless it's thru one of the above Speakers or the Weber DT10-P (A 10" Speaker similar to Alnico Blue sound)

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:06 pm

Danley wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:51 am
Larsongs wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:29 am
Part of the reason I'm asking is in case anyone else is familiar with the speaker ;D Because I am not well versed in speakers in general. Some people play amps and immediately say 'yep, needs a new speaker' which alarms me; I'm never sure whether I'm dealing with a speaker I don't like, or just an amp I don't like.

I bought this one thinking I got a deal on a speaker that was *obviously* better quality than whatever knock-off is in my Chinese Vox, but in the Vox it has way too much spiky high-end to the point the EQ controls almost have no impact. Tried to get used to it but couldn't. My guess is an alnico speaker would have been a better speaker for the Vox; but since I'm not keeping the Vox anyway I figure its replacement ought to be my chance to see what my 'nice' speaker can do. So I'm guessing the next amp needs to be naturally voiced a bit darker, but clearly I'm not an expert.
Speakers make a big difference, even more than tubes. The thing is, the only way to really know is to try different speakers with amps. I use alnico speakers with most of my Voxes, but I also use a V10 in the 4tv which actually sounds really good in it, and I have a couple of Greenbacks that I use sometimes.

No idea what was in your Vox, most of mine came with their Celestion VX10 or VX12s (I think was the model names), but I got rid of all of those. They weren’t horrible, but also weren’t great - although they were voiced for the amps, sounds like better than the tubby.

That’s probably a really good speaker with the right amp. Are you looking specifically for a combo? If not, you should think about putting it in a cab. Then you could bring it around & play different amps through it, and get a feel for what works with it.

Also, like was said above, speakers change their sound a lot (for the better) once they’re finally broken in. But it takes a while.
-David

16SJMD
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by 16SJMD » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:16 am

The 16ohm limits choices.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:34 am

Another alternative is to see what may complement that speaker well that’s also 16 ohms, and get a 2x10 cab to put them in that. Then you can use them with any amp that has a speaker out.

I have a 10” alnico blue pup and a Greenback I put in my Laney, but didn’t work out well, and I decided I’d rather just have a 2x10 cab to use with whatever amp (but probably AC’s). I’m just waiting on the cab to come in right now to start swapping them, and I’m going to sell the Laney.
-David