PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: vintage amp tech forums

Post by 46346 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:23 am

andy_tchp wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:18 pm
46346 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:07 am
the newsgroup, alt.guitar.amps
that may have been my earliest readings in the Netscape era.
or as i like to call it , Nutscape.
do yourself a favor, and don't bother looking, unless you've got some serious spam filters... even with the occasionally reappearing Amp denizen, it is a vast wasteland... a real shithole :(
An absolute tragedy, and largely driven down the shitter by one person's political zealotry. Was probably the place on the net if you needed to find something (anything!) out, some seriously talented people hung out there and shared their wisdom.

Rich Koerner's posts were excellent, and he turned me on to Mahavishnu Orchestra/McLaughlin's music.

Ah shit, I looked him (Time Electronics NJ) up, store closed, website remains. In the banner - RIP Rich 1946-2017 :(

i remember Rich! oh that's a bummer... i grew up in NJ, it was fun for me to call upon him while visiting my Dad near Union where Time was housed. i thought of him when we saw McLaughlin doing them Mahavishnu nuggets recently, here in L.A.
other alt.guitar.amps cats who were super helpful were Ron Ott, Andy Ruhl, and John Stokes. Stokes was cranky AF, but still generous with the goods. Andy was a younger cat, i wonder if he's still amp'ing...?

yeah i was amazed to see Lord Blowhard still posting on the newsgroup, but nothing to do with amplification. that guy is either 90 years old or just now turned 24... :D

Nutscape, indeed. the internet is kind of like real places, you can find some place you love to come back and visit many times... then suddenly one day after some years, it just sucks. :mellow:

while i miss some of the OSG heavyweights who have moved along, i gotta say, after taking a few years off, i'm happy to be back - the place is holding up nicely!
Cat Museum, ACME, Malcolm Mooney, Dream Apes, The Cooling Time, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Quarks