Bizarre Bassman Acquisition Afternoon....

Make it loud here.
JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Bizarre Bassman Acquisition Afternoon....

Post by JSett » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:35 am

So, bear with me on this one, it's a bit of an odd story and what exactly was said may deviate from what I type as I'm doing it from memory as it just happened, but this is basically the general gist of what just went down and the dialogue that occurred.

Picture the scene: There I am, casually rolling vegan meatballs in my hands whilst the soothing sounds of The Appleseed Cast rings out across the kitchen, cat's are fussing around my feet - blissfully ignorant of the fact the meatballs contain exactly zero meat. I am blissfully ignorant of the insane situation I'm about to be in....

*Ding Dong* goes my doorbell

I open the door to some scrawny old teddy-boy rocker type in a beat to shit leather jacket and the tiniest stub of a rolled cigarette hanging off his lip.

"errr, hello mate, what's up?"

"Alright fella, Gez gave me your address, said you might wanna buy an amp?"

I stand for a split second, trying to compute what he said, if I know a 'Gez' (I don't) and how this 'Gez' directed this weird old dude to my safe space to disturb my meatball serenity.

"errrm, who the fuck is Gez? And who the fuck are you?"

"You know, Gez down by the river? Skinny Gez. Gez with the bald 'ead. Said to come see you"

"I'll be honest mate, I ain't got a clue who you're on about but I'm kinda busy right now and, if what you've got is nicked I'm not interested" *starts closing door*

"Nahh, it aint nicked mate, my dad died and his house was full of old music shit. I showed this to Gez and he said you'd buy it off me"

Now, I've learnt over the years not to just buy stuff out of vans or cars without some kind of credible story behind it but I was intrigued as it wasn't like it was in a random carpark or outside work or the usual - this guy had been sent to my house. Someone somewhere (I'm guessing 'Gez') knows I like old musical stuff. So, I proceeded with caution and asked more...

"So, what is it? And how much?"

"Come 'ave a butchers mate" he says as he leads me down my stairs to a car more beat up than his leather jacket. He pops open the boot/trunk and wedged in there, along with some old 60's chinaware and a broken vacuum cleaner, is this...

(pictures taken after he left and before I stashed the massive cab into my garage)

I burst out laughing. Clearly this 'Gez' knows me well enough to know that this would colour me interested.

"Does it work?" I ask

"Yes lad, I plugged in dads old keyboard in it and nearly blew me fuckin' ears off!"

I pull it out, grab an extension lead out and plug it in myself. Sure enough, strong clean signal coming straight out of it. "How much?" is obviously my next question.

"700 quid mate"

"I'll give you five" I retort, knowing full well this guy clearly has no idea.

"Six and you got a deal"

I reached into my pocket and counted £600 out my money clip into the old greasers hand, still extremely confused, stood in my slippers on the driveway, traces of oregano, red onion and vegan mince still on my hands

"Cheers lad, enjoy"

And with that he jumped into his car, immediately stalled it, then coughed it back to life and off my driveway...into the ether.

So, yeah, now I have a Silverface Bassman :derp: serial looks like it's a '78, 15" speaker has a metal dust cap (JBL?). I'll pull it apart on the bench and see what the hell I've bought once I've finished making the meatballs. About half an hour after he left I realised I knew of this 'Gez' of whom he spoke. It's a friend called Gerry who does sound around here and runs a rehearsal studio (down by the canal). I've never had anyone refer to him as Gez but it seems obvious now I'm not caught off-guard. I must send him a message asking to be screened for this sort of thing in the future :D

What. The. Fuck.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Bizarre Bassman Acquisition Afternoon....

Post by JSett » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:10 am

Meatballs are resting in the fridge so here's the guts of this thing.

Looks to be mostly original bar a few components. Weird smattering of tubes. Original filter caps. Typical CBS rats-nest wiring job. Transformers date it to 1978.

I just briefly tested it and it works as it should al bar a few cracks and pops from sitting for a long time. New caps and a fresh set of tubes and I think it'll be good to go.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:15 am

Wow! Fuck of a story, and some really cool luck/fate!!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:24 am

Super fun story. Can’t go wrong with a bassman either.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:28 am

Oh, it's a story thats utterly bizarre. It was just so unexpected that I was caught off guard. He was a weird little man too, quite short in stature and looked like he'd worked every day of his life outside.

I don't really have any use for it either... I guess it could function as a backup bass rig at the rehearsal rooms or something. I'll likely service it then stash it. It wasn't the bargain of the century but probably a reasonable deal for one of these. If the speaker in the cab is a JBL it'll be more of a catch than the amp!

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:48 am

I love this and I want this exact thing to happen to me.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:06 pm

That is a hilarious story! After that you absolutely had to buy it, and it looks like a pretty formidable beast. I drove 1050 miles to and back from Tennessee yesterday and picked up a Bassman as well!

Hey what’s the makeup of those plantballs? I’ve been plant based for five years and I miss spaghetti and meatballs!

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:17 pm

DeathJag wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:06 pm
Hey what’s the makeup of those plantballs? I’ve been plant based for five years and I miss spaghetti and meatballs!
I use a fresh soy and pea protein based mince as a base. Everyone's got their own meatball recipe but I like a simple caramelized red onion, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper mix. Mix by hand then form and refrigerate for a couple of hours. Brown in a pan to seal then simmer in your sauce of choice a little before serving.

I use this mince and like to serve it on rigatoni

This was tonight's result...

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:21 pm

fucking good story. also love a good SF bassman. i'd be curious to know how much headroom it has compared to my 50.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:23 pm

DeathJag wrote:
That is a hilarious story! After that you absolutely had to buy it, and it looks like a pretty formidable beast. I drove 1050 miles to and back from Tennessee yesterday and picked up a Bassman
Not to derail, but how long did that take you? Was Nashville your destination?

My farthest gear run has been a 3hr drive to and from, so 6 hours total. Liked to have killed me. Not sure how truckers do it.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:25 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:21 pm
fucking good story. also love a good SF bassman. i'd be curious to know how much headroom it has compared to my 50.
The headroom is seemingly endless. Too much to be sensible with guitar. It will likely make quite a good bass amp truth be told. Weighs an absolute shit-ton thanks to the massive multi-tap power transformer and sizable output one. Weighs more than my old OR120 did.

GGJaguar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GGJaguar » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:00 pm

Great story! Enjoy that bad boy!
See my offset guitars at www.ggjaguar.com

terminalvertigo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by terminalvertigo » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:11 pm

please tell me you asked what else his dad had?!
GoodDeals:Jaguar018-Skip-Scotty66-Noirengineer-Panoramic-Soundhack-Tribi9-Stereordinary-Dug-Ginnungagap-Loomer-Eupat-FenderBob-Franco-AWSchmit-PeterHerman-TweedleDee-Diceman-Prospect-Danocaster-Glimmertwin-Jetset-Staytuned-ukfuzz-Aen-Atomicmassunit-MT,etc

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:14 pm

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:23 pm
DeathJag wrote:
That is a hilarious story! After that you absolutely had to buy it, and it looks like a pretty formidable beast. I drove 1050 miles to and back from Tennessee yesterday and picked up a Bassman
Not to derail, but how long did that take you? Was Nashville your destination?
We met in Athens TN, a little closer than the center point between Surfysonic and me. It took around 15 hours total. I did speed most of the way tho! I listened to podcasts the whole time. I don’t know how truckers do it either.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:38 pm

terminalvertigo wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:11 pm
please tell me you asked what else his dad had?!
I did not. The whole thing happened pretty fast and I wasn't prepared for it so it didn't enter my mind. I didn't even get the guys name!

It's probably a good thing though, I'm rapidly running out of space here at the moment and need less temptation. I have a severe backlog of projects that need finishing.