Roland Cube Chorus - treble loss. Caps?

Make it loud here.
JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Roland Cube Chorus - treble loss. Caps?

Post by JSett » Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:33 pm

I'll preface this with the caveat that I'm comfortable and slightly knowledgable about tube amps. Solid state, not so much.

I just got this 1983 Cube 60 Chorus. It's surprisingly dark compared to my Cube 40 and even my Cube 60 Bass. Even with treble on max and bass and mids on zero it's still nowhere as bright as I'd expect - normally these things can cut glass! Even the 'Pull For Bright' option seems to make almost no difference to the tone.

I can't get it onto my workbench for a couple of weeks at least but I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's never been serviced. Is this lack of treble likely to be a cap issue (power filter or others?)

Advice greatly appreciated.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Re: Roland Cube Chorus - treble loss. Caps?

Post by OffYourFace » Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:40 am

i'd say a cap is a possibility but maybe the treble pot is just dead or has a bad connection

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:25 pm

OffYourFace wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:40 am
i'd say a cap is a possibility but maybe the treble pot is just dead or has a bad connection
The treble pot works, but it's not a massive sweep like you'd expect. I'll get into it when I can and see if there's anything obvious and, if not, start testing components one by one.

As of 2 hours ago I've got a much more pressing issue of a dead Bassman with just 4 days until I go into the studio to record our band again :wacko: pretty sure it's a plate resistor by how it's acting but unsure until I crack it.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:18 am

The pull for bright thing makes a noticeable difference on the one I have, so definitely something amiss.

I'm not at all technical, but have you ruled out the speaker being the cause of the darkness? I've read lots of griping about the stock speakers, but haven't noticed anything wrong with it personally.