Guess where I'm working again?

Make it loud here.
OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Guess where I'm working again?

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:39 pm

I'm just doing part-time atm to help them catch up on their 14 month backlog. I’m doing QC and finally which means I get to play every amp before it goes out 8)

It's a very small company with only 6 employees so it takes time. I think only 25 amps are going out each month for now. It's amazing that people are still buying nice amps like this, especially when I rarely see actual amps on stage these days.

I forgot how amazing these amps sound. They're not for everyone but I hope ya'll get the chance to at least play through one.
Btw, the newest amp called the Laurel Canyon is my new favorite. It's basically their version of a Deluxe Reverb. It's pretty much perfect in my mind.

spiffy chap
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Guess where I'm working again?

Post by spiffy chap » Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:25 pm

Always wanted to try one of these, but never had the chance

Cool you're back over there

jthomas
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jthomas » Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:20 pm

Extremely cool.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:44 pm

Nice, pretty cool job if you ask me.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:11 am

My favourite amp company! :-*

I still have the Lightning that you likely had a hand in putting together! Still my #1!

2013 model:

:-*
Resident Spartan.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:52 am

zhivago wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:11 am

I still have the Lightning that you likely had a hand in putting together! Still my #1!
Oh yeah! Very cool. I forget the name of that UK shop but they ordered a pile of amps exclusively in that color combo. I love that combo, I’m going to get one of the new Laurel Canyon amps in the same color one day, hopefully.

terminalvertigo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by terminalvertigo » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:19 am

Nice work Mike!
GoodDeals:Jaguar018-Skip-Scotty66-Noirengineer-Panoramic-Soundhack-Tribi9-Stereordinary-Dug-Ginnungagap-Loomer-Eupat-FenderBob-Franco-AWSchmit-PeterHerman-TweedleDee-Diceman-Prospect-Danocaster-Glimmertwin-Jetset-Staytuned-ukfuzz-Aen-Atomicmassunit-MT,etc

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:57 pm

OffYourFace wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:52 am
zhivago wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:11 am

Oh yeah! Very cool. I forget the name of that UK shop but they ordered a pile of amps exclusively in that color combo. I love that combo, I’m going to get one of the new Laurel Canyon amps in the same color one day, hopefully.

It was World Guitars, I think...I was so happy to get this Lightning, such a great amp...it has a funny volume pot...the taper is not gradual, but I play through a Suhr Reactive Load nowadays, so that is not much of a problem anymore. Oddly enough, two of my friends have Lightnings too and their volume pots are not like mine at all, they are gradual like most other amps I've ever played...I remember you telling me years ago that this lot of amps for World Guitars had Bourns pots instead of the standard stuff due to some shortage? Am I remembering this right? :)

Hope you score a Laurel Canyon soon, people have been raving about them! 8)
Resident Spartan.

BTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BTL » Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:33 pm

That's so cool, congratulations!
Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:08 pm

zhivago wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:57 pm

It was World Guitars, I think...I was so happy to get this Lightning, such a great amp...it has a funny volume pot...the taper is not gradual, but I play through a Suhr Reactive Load nowadays, so that is not much of a problem anymore. Oddly enough, two of my friends have Lightnings too and their volume pots are not like mine at all, they are gradual like most other amps I've ever played...I remember you telling me years ago that this lot of amps for World Guitars had Bourns pots instead of the standard stuff due to some shortage? Am I remembering this right? :)
That's right, World Guitars. Re: your volume, it's probably more about the pot being the wrong type, audio vs linear. It would be easy to change if you or a friend want to swap it. But yeah, there was a month or two where CTS didn't have certain types in stock. So weird. Can't blame it on a pandemic back then!

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:38 am

OffYourFace wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:08 pm
zhivago wrote:

That's right, World Guitars. Re: your volume, it's probably more about the pot being the wrong type, audio vs linear. It would be easy to change if you or a friend want to swap it. But yeah, there was a month or two where CTS didn't have certain types in stock. So weird. Can't blame it on a pandemic back then!
Ahhh...I see cool....it would be great to get a tech to swap the pot one day...what type of pot is it supposed to be?

Just a standard linear CTS pot? 8)
Resident Spartan.

Dr Tony Balls
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:42 am

zhivago wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:38 am
OffYourFace wrote:
zhivago wrote:

Ahhh...I see cool....it would be great to get a tech to swap the pot one day...what type of pot is it supposed to be?

Volume controls should generally be "audio" or "logarithmic" taper, not linear taper.
Instagram: thetonyballs

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:22 am

Very cool, congrats! I happen to be just down the street from CME this week and they've got nothing in stock for me to go drool over.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:04 am

COOL!! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:42 pm

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:42 am
zhivago wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:38 am
OffYourFace wrote:

it's probably more about the pot being the wrong type, audio vs linear.

Volume controls should generally be "audio" or "logarithmic" taper, not linear taper.
yep!