what was your game changer?

Make it loud here.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: what was your game changer?

Post by 46346 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:10 pm

hulakatt wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:51 pm
I love the Bassman through British speakers but find them pretty boring through American voiced speakers. Right speaker for the right amp matters.
this was the conclusion of my Bassmania project. Blackface or Brownface Bassman chassis (swapable) in a 3x10 Bandmaster style cab.
after trying many different tens, i settled on two Brits (Blue Pup and Silver Ten) and one American (Jensen style ceramic for a bit more clean depth). i also put a Vox style 12" in my old Ampeg Reverberocket. new overtones appeared!
hulakatt wrote:

Fender Twin Reverb (various) and Hiwatt dr504 - I don't play through them because I "need" power for bigger venues or loud bands, I play them for that range, fidelity and authority you get from bigger iron, even when the amp isn't cranked.
Twin Reverb is my latest revelation for this reason, too. confident depth. i tune down to C for my soundtrack band, and play a Wurlitzer and Mellotron D through the other channel. deep, round tones, with lots of dynamic space around them.
Cat Museum, ACME, Malcolm Mooney, Dream Apes, The Cooling Time, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Quarks

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:22 am

Realizing somewhere along the way that I like big, clean amps. Now they're called "pedal platforms", but even as recently as 15 years ago, we mostly called them "big, clean amps".

I like playing on other kinds, but I realized I wasn't "missing out" on anything by not experimenting with 3-channel, 4-rectifier (?), 10-band EQ gain monsters. Nothing against them, but it wasn't how I played. Accepting that was key, and learning how to use it to my advantage.

I guess that extends to gear in general. It was easy in my 20's, with limited access to gear, to find myself influenced by other people's opinions of what was good.

Once I spent a few years learning which types of pedals/amps/guitars made which types of sounds, I realize I needed to trust myself and listen to my ears, not to the internet, to guide what I need to make the sounds I want.

But the Internet can be a boon to deciphering what your ears want. "I want to sound like The Cramps" - well, now it's easy to find out that you need a Superfuzz and a reverb, and what luck, you have a plethora of Superfuzzes to choose from at as low as $15! Would have been a game-changer in my own younger years in the '90s/early '00s, with "Boss/DOD/Rocktek" as the bulk of the local market. Trial and error had to lead me through, but I learned a lot on the way. Beneficial, sure, but a shortcut or two along the way might have been nice.

With amps, but gear in general, not forgetting why I was researching in the first place was the biggest epiphany. Because once you go from "I want this sound" to "use X to get this sound" to "which X is the best one?", you find yourself caught up in the minutae of gear obsession, or, even worse, "collecting".

So, listening to my ear, and letting my ear tell me that clean, high-headroom amps were what I needed. Final answer.

(Side note: had a minor game-changer recently that, because of that need for headroom, I need a 100W amp. Volume and dynamics are a big part of our sound for swoopy feedback and swirly fuzzes. I adore my 50W Fender, but it hits the ceiling into compression right before I'd like it to with regard to onstage volume. Understanding that it wasn't about needing more power, per se, but the headroom that the bigger amp will provide, was somewhat eye-opening, as well as a rather amusing excuse to explain to my wife why I need to save up for a 100W tube head. I'm sick of taking 2+ combo amps to gigs. For the record, she agrees it needs to be done. She complains that we sound "too small" onstage. And no husband wants to hear that. :wtf: )

Axolotl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Axolotl » Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:49 am

This year had a couple of serious gamechangers: First, After a long time I came back to tube amps: I've got a 71 Champ and a 66 bandmaster and man, there is no sound and feel like a good Fender amp with its cleans and pushing air.
A few weeks ago I got a Surfy Bear spring reverb pedal (the compact version) which was the missing piece for the aforementioned amps. I can't get over on how well it sounds, it blows out the spring versions of Strymon and Soundsource (Ventris reverb) out of the water. There is no comparison on how lush and responsive the Surfy Bear is. Definitely an "always on" pedal. Worth the price and the size.
Both amps and the Surfy Bear affected positively my playing and I kinda rediscovered all my guitars through them. Couldn't be happier.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:13 pm

hulakatt wrote:
I love the Bassman through British speakers but find them pretty boring through American voiced speakers. Right speaker for the right amp matters.

couldn't agree with this more. again, i run my bassman with fanes and it sounds so alive.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

distressed
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by distressed » Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:49 pm

+1 for both Bassmans through British speakers and big clean amps.
Roza
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg_imQDC4eUOjuBBRl2mBwA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyQgllCIpqY
https://rozaliftwave.bandcamp.com/

Tele295
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tele295 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:05 pm

I have recently come full circle, playing through the same little silverface Princeton I played as a teenager in the 80’s. It sounds fantastic, but I didn’t necessarily think so back in the day. The difference? 35 more years of playing and confidence. It was quite a revelation. Oh, and start with a good amp.
Jill Martini & The Shrunken Heads - all aloha, all the time

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:17 am

It may seem pedantic considering that this is OffsetGuitars.com but my gamechanger was purchasing my first offset, my CME/Anderton's FSR metallic purple Squier Classic Vibe Jaguar.

That one guitar set off this fever for offsets that has yet to cool off. Since then JUST MY OFFSET COLLECTION looks like this:
  1. FSR purple metallic CV Jag
  2. Whiteout Jag (CV FSR neck, VM body)
  3. black Jag body (will be routed for WRHB, Blackout yang to the Whiteout yin)
  4. Charcoal Frost Jag (Hosco body, Chinese roasted B&B neck)
  5. Seafoam Green Jag (VM neck, body sold as VM but I think CV)
  6. Fax Guitars/Height Coyote (The Orange Dreamcicle™)
  7. Olympic white Enterprise Jazzmaster (CV parts, EYGuitar black anodized guard with USS Enterprise vinyl inspired by Decboom's "Rockets Away", EYGuitar Eric Custom JM-WRHB pickups with AlNiCo poles)
  8. LPB Jazzmaster (Anniversary body, CV neck)
  9. Daphne the Jazzmaster (CV body, Anniversary B&B neck)
  10. the Tonebomb Jazzmaster body I need to paint
  11. the Tonebomb Jag body I need to paint (Marrguar setup, likely getting one of the AllParts D&B Jag necks)
  12. the orange Mustang (Capri-ish orange Mustang body from China through eBay, Squier CV Mustang neck, EYGuitar Eric Custom Mustang pickups, aftermarket MIJ/CIJ Fender trem)
  13. the other Mustang I have to paint (beat up CV body, that D&B BYOGuitar Jaguar neck I got cheap)
  14. the Guitar Fetish body I have to route for Jagbuckers
It also forced a change in my general activities. I'm much less active on the new forms of social media (Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, etc.) because I've decided to replace those anxiety-inducing advertisement feeders with spending time actually playing guitar almost every single day.

Oddly enough, playing offsets has also kinda warped my playing style a little bit, and not in ways I would've expected. For instance, my palm muted gallop is so much more refined, now. I've spent a lot of time playing weird chords all over the neck with lead bits in between to the point where I could probably actually play Periphery stuff if I sit down long enough without interruption to learn the parts (and if my garbage memory cooperates). It's like the surf guitar has taught me how to play progressive djenty metal. LOL

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:00 am

I have been experimenting more with guitar>cable>amp recently (and guitar>cable>amp sim).

Removing the option of stepping on a pedal for choruses and whatnot has been pretty interesting. I’m learning to vary my pick attack a lot more.

As a singer it’s really liberating not to have to think about tap dancing. I’ve never leaned to heavily on effects as a writer, but having the exact same guitar sound for everything really forces me to think about what I can do compositionally to make each song its own thing.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:28 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:00 am
I have been experimenting more with guitar>cable>amp recently (and guitar>cable>amp sim).

Removing the option of stepping on a pedal for choruses and whatnot has been pretty interesting. I’m learning to vary my pick attack a lot more.

As a singer it’s really liberating not to have to think about tap dancing. I’ve never leaned to heavily on effects as a writer, but having the exact same guitar sound for everything really forces me to think about what I can do compositionally to make each song its own thing.
Lots of admiration for this. I should definitely try it out.

Pedals are so often just another lazy trick like dropouts, double-timing the drum beat, octaves for lead lines :whistle:
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:56 am

sal paradise wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:28 am
marqueemoon wrote:

Lots of admiration for this. I should definitely try it out.

Pedals are so often just another lazy trick like dropouts, double-timing the drum beat, octaves for lead lines :whistle:
There’s nothing especially noble about it. All music is formulaic.

I will say there are a lot of nuances to be found when you’re forced to look for them.

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:27 pm

marqueemoon wrote:

Nothing has made me really think about how I attack and interact with a guitar more than playing my Gibson LP Jr.
She/Her

5cr33nager
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by 5cr33nager » Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:32 pm

A Dr. Z Z-28.

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:24 pm

Ampeg VT-22

80 pounds of volume and destroyer of all other amps in the same room.

Firecat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Firecat » Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:35 am

Trading a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III for a MusicMan 112RP about 10 years ago and finally hearing the cleans I wanted was my game changer. Haven't looked back, still love MusicMan amps.

Also, getting a Strymon Iridium for home recording.

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:16 pm

Budda phatman tube overdrive pedal....into my Mesa mark 3 head....