Replacement Speaker for Fender Deluxe 112 Plus?

Make it loud here.
MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Replacement Speaker for Fender Deluxe 112 Plus?

Post by MrShake » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:41 am

I realize threads like this have been done before, but I know little about speaker options.

I blew the speaker in my SS backup amp (obviously, a Fender Deluxe 112 Plus). My new gigging amp is vintage tube, so until I can get a few gigs under its belt to trust it's reliability, I want to have that reliable SS backup in the trunk. I think these '90s Fender SS combos are great, I love this one, I got it as abandoned and after a little cleaning it's taken heavy use over about 5-6 years. So, at the very least, it deserves a new speaker to get it on its feet.

I got a Texas Heat I like so far for another amp, but I need something, say 110-120 watts, 4 ohm, for a Fender-y sound out of this Deluxe 112 Plus. We play loud, so I want to be plenty safe with the wattage. But those specs do seem to limit my options.

Was thinking about going more "American" than "British", or even the sorta-hybrid of the Jensen MODs I've used to good effect.

Frankly, I'm not that picky, I'm not going high-end, and something like a Texas Heat fits into my budget range, but I could stretch for the right fit. I'd rather save my speaker budget to load up the 2x12 for the main rig.

Again, let's be real, this is a low-end backup amp. I want it to work and sound good, but I'm not building my masterpiece rig here, I just need an appropriate workhorse speaker.

Here in 2024, what would you suggest?

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Replacement Speaker for Fender Deluxe 112 Plus?

Post by GreenKnee » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:50 am

My Twin has the Jensen C12K speakers fitted and they are great. I'm actually looking for another pair to put in my Bassman cab as the Bassman head sounds amazing through the speakers in the Twin.

New they're about £100, used should be more £60-£70 I'd think. So not budget busting at all.

The Jensens are rated to 100W so should take the 90W of your amp without issue.

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:05 am

GreenKnee wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:50 am
My Twin has the Jensen C12K speakers fitted and they are great. I'm actually looking for another pair to put in my Bassman cab as the Bassman head sounds amazing through the speakers in the Twin.

New they're about £100, used should be more £60-£70 I'd think. So not budget busting at all.

The Jensens are rated to 100W so should take the 90W of your amp without issue.
Exactly the type of response I'm looking for, very helpful, thanks for taking the time!

Sonically, it seems like it would fit well, pricing is good, and I trust you, but I'm curious as a novice: I've read differing accounts of how much more power handling a speaker needs than the amp puts out.

Again, right now, everyone knows more than I do, but since you say the additional 10W between the D112+ and the C12K would be enough for a safe margin, what does OSG collectively think about how much spare wattage one should aim for in a speaker? 10%? 20%?

(Also, I suppose it's relevant and should add, I only use the clean channel, I use a lot of Rat+Muff for loud parts, the amp's usually at 7-8 onstage, and somewhat rhythmic sync'd delay features prominently. Figure all that would factor into speaker choice. Main amps are clean Bassmen with closed-back cabs.)

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:39 am

MrShake wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:05 am
I'm not an expert by any means, but I think if you're amp is 90W then any speaker rated to 90W and above will be fine. I've done a quick bit of research and this seems to confirm that https://www.premierguitar.com/speaker-g ... r-handling

But on the other hand, this link says that you need double, interestingly. https://guitar.com/features/opinion-ana ... er-safety/

So now I am as unsure as you are! Hopefully somebody more learned can chime in and educate me.