Giving my Leslie some Lovin'

Make it loud here.
DaddyDom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Giving my Leslie some Lovin'

Post by DaddyDom » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:39 pm

I've had my Leslie 145 for a little over 25 years now. (It's paired with my split Hammond L122.)

You're very lucky to find one for sale anywhere without an organ (donor :whistle: ) and here in NZ, a genuine wood-cased, valve-tube, two-speed, treble-and-bass Leslie is hopelessly, stupidly rare.

A music-shop owner I got to know had a couple high up on a rack in his warehouse and as the band was working nearly every weekend I said 'yes' before he'd finished naming his price. In the late-'90s I paid NZ$1,000.
(In the early '90s the Hammond was £50 so ... yeah!)

I was already using an 825 for gigs, which is smaller, transistor, vinyl covered, twin-speed but single rotor and portable. Well ... it has handles and wheels. For recordings I use both. That's the voice of god, right there! (well, Laurens Hammond and Don Leslie ...)

The 145 had seen some life and pretty soon into our relationship I gave it a coat of polyurethane lacquer, mainly to protect it. It looked a little more decent from 25 paces on a dark stage, anyway. A few months afterwards, somebody scratched the top quite badly during a clean-out of our rehearsal room. That really fucking annoyed me!

Anyway, I have a gig coming up in May in a church hall with a vaulted ceiling, so decided to check it was all working in case I could use it with my Hammond. The bearings seem fine and the belts I did 10 years ago so I ordered some service items - grommets, some missing screws and replacement wires - and cleaned the amp as best I could, all shiny and everything contact-cleaned.

The black cloth scrim around the bass rotor had been rubbing every revolution as the bearing holder was a little off-centre so after removing the rotor, I tentatively undid the drawstrings (waxed, of course), removed it and took it home for a soak. It didn't fall apart and refitted like a charm. After repositioning the bearing holder slightly, it no longer rubs. That's a great result as that's what prompted the whole strip-down.

To the cabinet.
It's been fun cleaning the entire interior of dust and cigarette filters ( :w00t: ), finally sanding back my godawful younger-self brushmarks and getting out some smaller dents in the wood using the soldering iron/wet T-shirt combo. I've sanded it from 120 grit up to 600 and once I've wiped it with lighter-fluid, it looks so much better. I'll carry on to 1500 grit and apply some fine buffing oil then see how she looks.

Any deep gouges that still annoy me, I'll try some filler wax but really, I'm content for it to tell its tale.

More parts arrive in April so look out for some 'after' shots.

Nudger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Giving my Leslie some Lovin'

Post by Nudger » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:21 am

Post took me back..
Heard a local working mans club had an old organ for sale "bout 20 years back".
Was curious so went for a look see.. the thing looked like a 70s japanese hammond wish it were.
Thing is.. it had attached a big wooden box " leslie"
Dont know what number it was but deffo had more than one speed, they wanted £100 got em down to £60.
Remember our multi instrumental lead guitarist used the organ with leslie in one studio session "I couldnt/cant play".
Not long after, I left it with an ex girlfriend along with the house/car/dog :D
She got £250 for it on ebay :fp:

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 46346 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:37 pm

very cool! it's an unforgettable sound, once you've experienced it live! i'd never thought about guitar through Leslie until i showed up for a session with Billy Talbot from Crazy Horse. i set up through my usual Ampeg Reverberocket, but while doing that, our engineer friend Paul quietly tapped my output and ran it to the Leslie rig. the same rig that Neil Young had just played the Hammond through (i missed him doing that part!!)!

i was a bit nervous and hadn't even noticed until i started playing, and the whole room lit up in 3D guitar!
from that moment onward, i was checking out Leslies... finally settled on the Leslie 18, very portable, although not as strong as your 2-way classic cabinet. still, i love the Fendery take of the 18, with it's Silverface trim, and the simple two-speed toggle footswitch.
Cat Museum, ACME, Malcolm Mooney, Dream Apes, The Cooling Time, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Quarks

Nudger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nudger » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:09 am

46346 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:37 pm
very cool! it's an unforgettable sound, once you've experienced it live! i'd never thought about guitar through Leslie
Didnt enter our minds at the time either, missed a trick there.. just happy to fill a couple o punkers out with some hammondish goodness.
Id be all over it now. 8)

DaddyDom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DaddyDom » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:34 pm

46346 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:37 pm
i set up through my usual Ampeg Reverberocket, but while doing that, our engineer friend Paul quietly tapped my output and ran it to the Leslie rig. the same rig that Neil Young had just played the Hammond through (i missed him doing that part!!)!
Wow!
(And the Neil young part is ultra cool, too.) I do love Reverberockets, though!
That would have sounded righteous.

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:49 am

I’m a landscape gardener and one of the gardens I was working in, I got speaking to the boy about guitars and that. He said he had two amps in his garage that I could have as they’d just been sitting there doing nothing. One of them was a Leslie 825 that he’d had wired for guitar man. I haven’t even got round to getting it from our lock up to try it out as it’s needing serviced and I’ve got a whole load of gear in my spare room already! I don’t really know anything about them, if anyone has any info on the 825 solid state cabinets that’d be great!

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:56 am

DaddyDom wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:39 pm
You're very lucky to find one for sale anywhere without an organ (donor :whistle: ) and here in NZ, a genuine wood-cased, valve-tube, two-speed, treble-and-bass Leslie is hopelessly, stupidly rare.

I've always found this to be an excellent facsimile, especially when run in stereo. I've had one paired up with my EHX B9 for years... if I do a full band rehearsals and gigs I always set up the dual rig (one amp for guitar, one amp for organ) so you can do organ as backing or use it for swells like on Hush for the little chordal bits between the "nanananana" refrain and the verses. Basically pseudo 2 instruments, wish that meant I could get paid twice 💵 - the Hammond approximation is as big a part of my live sound as the Jag at this point.

Of course nothing beats the sound of the real thing because of the spatial way it throws the sounds around in a 360º arc, but for gigging and practicality (lugging a double pedal/double amp rig is already enough and takes ages to set up) it'll do.

---

Super rare to see a wood panel clad one even in the UK... last time I saw and used any kind of Leslie was a vinyl-covered repro in college, circa 2001-2003. They're pretty heavy even when they're on castors. What would you estimate it's worth in 2024 buckaroos, $5,000 NZD?
"High yella high red high blue she blew
High Ella high Ella Guru"

- CAPTAIN BEEFHEART, "Ella Guru"

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:59 am

Nudger wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:21 am
This caused me actual physical pain to read, and my reaction was literally "awwww 🤦🏻‍♂️ it's worth so much more" and I mean value not just worth.

Nudger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nudger » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:31 am

crazyzeke wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:59 am
Nudger wrote:
This caused me actual physical pain to read, and my reaction was literally "awwww 🤦🏻‍♂️ it's worth so much more" and I mean value not just worth.
Hey! I aint bitter or nuffin, only been 20 years.. ill get over it some day.
Actually on reflection its inspirin me to write a 60s punker... MY BABY SOLD MY STUFF.. OH YEA MY BABY SOLD MY STUFF 8)

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:08 pm

crazyzeke wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:56 am
Super rare to see a wood panel clad one even in the UK... last time I saw and used any kind of Leslie was a vinyl-covered repro in college, circa 2001-2003.
i know people who always seem to have 2-3 around. one working and the others as parts donors/side tables as required

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:47 am

Nudger wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:31 am
crazyzeke wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:59 am
Nudger wrote:
Hey! I aint bitter or nuffin, only been 20 years.. ill get over it some day.
Actually on reflection its inspirin me to write a 60s punker... MY BABY SOLD MY STUFF.. OH YEA MY BABY SOLD MY STUFF 8)
Hahaha that or a blues eh? MY BABY DID ME WRONG is such a favourite topic of old blues records. ;D

DaddyDom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DaddyDom » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:58 pm

MechaBulletBill wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:08 pm

i know people who always seem to have 2-3 around. one working and the others as parts donors/side tables as required
Wow, that sounds OTT - unless they're holding onto them for the apocalypse?
Everything you need to keep them up and running is available and the service items are a cinch to find: belts, bearings and valve-tubes. I guess there may still be some trashed ones around, too, perhaps never maintained.

Depending on where you live, finding somebody to work on them might be the hardest thing, though!

DaddyDom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DaddyDom » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:00 pm

Mondaysoutar wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:49 am
I’m a landscape gardener and one of the gardens I was working in, I got speaking to the boy about guitars and that. He said he had two amps in his garage that I could have as they’d just been sitting there doing nothing. One of them was a Leslie 825 that he’d had wired for guitar man. I haven’t even got round to getting it from our lock up to try it out as it’s needing serviced and I’ve got a whole load of gear in my spare room already! I don’t really know anything about them, if anyone has any info on the 825 solid state cabinets that’d be great!
Wow - great story!
You would need a Leslie preamp and cable but I think there are after-market ones available on the bay these days.

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 46346 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:56 pm

crazyzeke wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:56 am

I've always found this to be an excellent facsimile, especially when run in stereo.
that makes sense with the two amp rig - i run my Leslie 18 cab with a separate amp, and give it a little midrange push and perhaps a wee grind. it gives a more 3D effect rather than just tapping it from my main guitar amp. especially when a short delay or even reverb com into play.
Cat Museum, ACME, Malcolm Mooney, Dream Apes, The Cooling Time, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Quarks

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:55 am

46346 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:56 pm
that makes sense with the two amp rig - i run my Leslie 18 cab with a separate amp, and give it a little midrange push and perhaps a wee grind. it gives a more 3D effect rather than just tapping it from my main guitar amp. especially when a short delay or even reverb com into play.
Aye, totally agree... I use a clean boost in circuit and used to put it before the B9/Leslie pedals but it can cause serious clipping especially with the Hot Rail in the Jag bridge position which is quite a mid heavy pickup already, which is a shame as it gave a ton of extra signal to the B9 so you could play it more dynamically. I think using a clean boost on organ might help soft clip a Leslie even more if you wanted a more driven sound... if I had regular access to a proper Hammond/Leslie rig I'd have spent hours experimenting already 😂