help, I cant sell my marshall

Make it loud here.
rabidhamster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

help, I cant sell my marshall

Post by rabidhamster » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:27 pm

As you may have read in previous posts, I got a bitchin good deal on a mint marshall dsl50 head and marshall 1960 cab, I forget the model now, its the deeper one with vintage 30s.  Anyway, the idea was to resell the head and on ebay and get a free(ish) cab out of the deal.  I also picked up a 70s Ibanez martin d-25 clone, which was supposed to be sales fodder as well, but quickly informed me that it was staying. 

I need the money to pay off the JM, but I just cant seem to pick up my camera to take sales photos.  :'(  My first justification was that I was waiting till after the holidays to get top dollar, but its after the holidays now, and I still havent tried.  What the heck do I do?

Also, please note, this isnt a for sale post ;)

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Re: help, I cant sell my marshall

Post by i love sharin foo » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:38 pm

I'm not help as I do exactly the same thing. For instance, I've already decided to keep my Mustang instead of selling it to fund the Bass VI that I just got. I accumulate so much stuff that I have absolutley no need for. But if you really need the money, just tell yourself that it is something that you HAVE to do and don't think anymore about it... just do it and get it over with. If I overthink things I can never ever let them go. But I try not to think until after the fact. Good luck!

Justin
A death’s head ring upon his finger

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:07 am

i love sharin foo wrote: I accumulate so much stuff that I have absolutley no need for.
Yeah, I do that. One of my NY's resolutions was to actually sell some of the stuff I'm not using this year.

I'm not looking forward to it.

:(
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

serial
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by serial » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:40 am

I did that last year.  I also picked up a lot of new stuff though.  Maybe this year...or not! ;)
Destiny's in her evening gown; you're always running late.
You tell her she looks wonderful but she'll just have to wait.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:10 am

Oh, man.

:(

.. definitely not looking forward to it.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Post by flatfiver » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:25 pm

If you're looking for reasons to get rid of the DSL50, I can give you a few:

1. The lead channel has no bottom end.
1a. The lead channel has too much high end.
2. The EQ is weird.
3. It's impossible to get a good sound out of the lead channel without having to completely re-EQ it for the clean channel.
4. The bass boost switch is overkill.
5. The "Mid Shift" switch is the most useless idea Marshall, or anyone, has ever had.
6. The channel boosts are not footswitchable.

If you're not looking for reasons to sell the DSL50 and are just lamenting that something you bought to flip has grown on you in a very good way, well... um... sorry for insulting your new favorite amp.

;) :P :D

In all seriousness, I owned one a couple years ago and thought it was a good amp, but I couldn't get it to work for me.
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance

momunist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by momunist » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:52 am

you guys are preaching to the choir here.  i think most of us would have to cop to being gear sluts, ebay junkies, or at least somewhat packratish.  but i'm with flatfiver though.  we all have the things we don't want to part with and our reasons why, but i can't see myself married to the DSL50.  the bottom line is this, just remind yourself that that's not a very hard to find or sought after piece (it's not like it's a plexi or even a JCM800), and it's also not appreciating in value.  get out now while you need to and if you really miss it you can probably find one later when you can afford it and get it for less.

rabidhamster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rabidhamster » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:43 pm

thanks guys:) 

I agree that the eq is a bit weird, quite a bit different.  It also never sounds good with my green bigmuff.  But it sounds so good straight in that I dont care much...

I think the deep switch is quite decent, though the mid switch is total garbage!  If i were playing numetal, Id Jimmy myself for that midswitch though:)

As far as the clean/dirty, there really isnt much of a clean channel, hahaha, I almost always have it a bit gritty, but I dont find I need to change the EQ much at all for where I've been using it, which is only at home so far:)

And no offense taken, I asked for it.  I was also the guy that crapped on these amps up until I bought one, and now I'm stuck on it!  Its been getting a good work out, in fact, I havent played this much in over a year, so I think I've decided to keep it until I can find something I enjoy more. 

thanks for all the help! :(