Post a review of your favourite amp

Make it loud here.
mewithoutus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Post a review of your favourite amp

Post by mewithoutus » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:58 pm

The Peavey Classic 50 4x10!!!

I first bought this amplifier when i was 16. i was in a post hardcore band in the vein of refused, botch, etc...

i was using a line 6 flextone 2 head and a behringer 4x12 cab at the time. i was not too happy with the sound i was getting, and i wanted something authentic. i wanted an amp that was loud, punchy, reliable, and transportable, but i also loved the look of vintage gear, so i wanted tweed for sure.

i was browsing ebay when i came upon the peavey classic 50 4x10 combo in tweed. holy crap i was in heaven. without ever playing the amp, i did a bunch of research and decided this was the amp for me. i bid, won (at $400 i might add) and the amp was shipped to me quickly. yes friends, i was in love.

i traded my original 4x10 peavey for a 2x12 version, but i realized that i was in love with the 4x10 sound so today i traded someone else for a 4x10. man i love it.

ok so the basics:

the amp has two channels, lead and normal.
presence, bass, mids, and highs.
reverb, pre and post gain, and normal volume.
two inputs, normal and bright.

the amp comes with a footswitch to switch between channels and to switch the reverb on and off. all or most of the models after 1991 have an effects loop.

the normal channel stays pretty clean for most of the travel of the volume knob, but if pushed it breaks up rather nicely. but it can stay clean pretty darn loud. i use my big muff on this channel and it sounds devine.

the lead channel goes from smooth sustain and low breakup to some pretty crazy distortion, but it maintains a really warm and focused feel. its very pleasant the way the tubes break up in this amp, and it responds really well to od's. it LOVES my boss od-3.

the reverb is suprisingly awesome. its an accutronics long spring tank. it goes from lightly seasoned to lush and spacious wetness. love it.

the amp takes pedals really well. the effects loop is nice and sounds great, but i seldom use it. the four ten inch drivers are peavey blue marvel speakers, and they are actually really nice speakers. ive never felt the need to change the speakers at all, but i was interested in maybe mixing two eminence tens in there. maybe two of those new hemp coned speakers, to see if i can get some more complex tones. other than that, these speakers are amazing. the reason i love tens is because i love having a loud punchy sound. i like that sound that hits you in the chest but isnt shrill, or too bassy. the tens hold the bass down extremely well, too. another selling point on the tens for me is the ability to really pump out the low end without farting out like twelves. i have a 4x10 marshall cabinet and that baby pumps the bass out like no other.

all in all, this amp is a freakin workhorse. its durable, good looking, albiet a little heavy, but mine has casters. it sounds awesome, it has amazing versatility, and hasnt failed me once. peavey broke the mold with this amp. i will always have a peavey classic 50 around.

heres some shots of mine:

=--->christopher

myspace.com/foxestheband

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:34 am

Marshall 2554 Silver Series 25/50W combo

I bought this amp when I was 18. A guy came into the shop I worked in and asked if we bought used gear. We didn't, but I asked him what he was selling anyway. Long story short, he sold me the amp for £150, and it's been with me for nearly 11 years.

Tone:
This is the most versatile amp I've ever played through, and you don't often hear that said about Marshalls. Its clean sound is similar to a JCM800's (the Silvers are based largely on the 800 series), except it's much more bell-like and penetrating. There's none of the thickness/muddiness you often get with Marshall amps, but it's not quite as penetrating and trebly as the typical Fender tone. It's a perfect halfway house between Jim and Leo, IMHO.

Overdriven, it's an animal. There isn't a transistor anywhere near it, and when its valves are really glowing, it just roars. That said, the overdrive doesn't overpower your guitar's natural tone at all - there's a lovely transparency about both channels.

One feature I've never used: the "rhythm clip". This sounds to my ears like a slightly strangled clean tone, pushed just to the point where it breaks up. It can't be controlled by the footswitch, so I've never really used it.

Controls:
L-R: Input Gain - Lead Master - Output Master - Treble - Middle - Bass - Presence

There's also a standby, fairly unremarkably.

What makes this amp really useful for me is the fact that you can switch between low and high output - 25 and 50W, to go with the whole 25/50 theme of the series.

Summary:
I'm never, ever selling this amp. Glassy, bell-like clean tone that breaks up nicely if you push the input gain, with a gorgeous, fairly saturated but still transparent overdrive. It's a beaut. And here it is (this isn't mine, but I'll find my own photo soon).

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:00 am

idiotbear wrote: Overdriven, it's an animal. There isn't a transistor anywhere near it, and when its valves are really glowing, it just roars. That said, the overdrive doesn't overpower your guitar's natural tone at all - there's a lovely transparency about both channels.
Technically they don't have a transistor anywhere near them but what they do have are clipping diodes.  It's pretty much like having an overdrive pedal built right into the amp that increases the level based on the gain knob.  I used a 2510 (very similar design) Marshall years back that sounded killer.

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:46 am

That I didn't know - thanks Jay. I love this forum; so much knowledge flying around. These amps really do sound killer.

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:52 am

I think the silver jubilee is the best amp marshall ever made
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:00 pm

+1, but then I would say that.  :D

1946dodge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 1946dodge » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:53 pm

I have a black 2555 Marshall amp. I got it in the early 90's used for 600 dollars.
When I first got it, I loved it. But as time went on I don't seem to get that "glassy" distortion sound it first had.
I wonder if you guys would know this, is it because of the cab I am using?
I am using a Peavy 4X$ cab. It sounds ok but I get the feeling that if I used a Marshall cab it would sound better.

any comments and advice would be appreciated, including type of cab.

Thanks
Ed
A  man studies and learns all of his  life, and  attains wisdom only when he finds that  he knows much and understands nothing.

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:37 pm

I have heard that alot about marshalls, not sure what causes it though
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

1946dodge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 1946dodge » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:56 pm

Someone told me to spray out (with tuner cleaner) the preamp (send/receive)  jacks in the back of the amp. I tried it and it worked for a while but I wonder why the hell this should make a difference?
A  man studies and learns all of his  life, and  attains wisdom only when he finds that  he knows much and understands nothing.

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:58 pm

cleaning the tube sockets perhaps?

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:15 pm

I would recommend taking it to a good tech for a cap job and a re-tube.  Spraying cleaner on jacks shouldn't really make a difference unless you've rusted them out playing in the rain or something.

1946dodge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 1946dodge » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:47 pm

I was thinking of a cap job. I can do this myself = I like to restore old tube radios - and I have some nice orange drop caps.
I did take it to a tech a few years back and he didnt recap it, only biased it and sprayed out the jacks.
I am wondering if there are any particular type of caps that I should use and I suppose I should replace the filter caps while I am at it.
Now that I think of it, sometimes when I turn it on it sounds tinny and weak and then I turn off and turn on the power and it comes up.
I suppose a recap is in order. After all this is an 80's vintage amp and it gets played in overdrive mode all the time....

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:37 pm

Playing in overdrive shouldn't effect the caps (just the tubes). They should have a life of about 7-10 years. There are alot of places online to get caps, I get mine localy.

1946dodge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 1946dodge » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:40 pm

Thanks Jazzblaster. I will recap and see what happens.

dltinter
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dltinter » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:38 pm

The Bedrock BC-75 with 2 X 12's. It is one fine amp. I had a Matchless Cheiftain and with the choice of one to keep the Bedrock won.