Anyone use a TRRI with your AVJM?

Make it loud here.
Felix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Anyone use a TRRI with your AVJM?

Post by Felix » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:21 pm

Hey Everybody!
I'm new to the forum, and so I figured I would ask a question to kick this off...

I was jamming on a TRRI this afternoon (didn't really have a chance to crank it) and it sounded good in the 2-3 range.

Any JM users rely on the twin for the good stuff?

Also, I have a Vibrolux Reverb, so would it be overkill to run them together?

Cool site indeed.
Chris
"That's just Dorian"
- Dr. Cox

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anyone use a TRRI with your AVJM?

Post by JazzBlaster » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:51 pm

I don't have an avri but the twin is my main amp for playing out with my moded out japanese guitars.
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:52 am

the other guitarist in my band used to use one of the new twins with his jazzmaster, and it always sounded good. the whole 1/4 power switch is a simple idea, but really effective, as the full 100W can be really too loud.

He sold it though as it was a) too heavy and b) not really that reliable.

but it did sound amazing.
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

Felix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Felix » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:54 am

Thank you for the replies.

I use a CIJ as well as an AV, so it will serve more than one purpose.
I definitely like the sound.

Anyone else that can offer some insight is welcome to post it, please.

Last night I heard someone using the 18 watt Marshall. Sounded pretty good - was a strat, though. Anybody use this amp with their offset? Opinions?

thanks again
"That's just Dorian"
- Dr. Cox

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:03 am

The other guitarist in my band has a 65 Twin Reverb Reissue.  They are 85 watts, I believe.  The regular Twin is 100.  It sounds great with his Teles. I don't know about a Jazzmaster, though.  He barely is able to crack the volume in small clubs, though.

I highly recommend them if you can't find a vintage one.  If you look hard enough, you can find a 70's silverface one for around the same price as a new one. They aren't as desirable as the 60's ones. 

This will be my next amp purchase.  My Hot Rod Deluxe works well, though... 40 watts, single 12, all tube...
Last edited by RumorsOFsurF on Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

aen
Expat
Expat

Post by aen » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:07 am

I used mny dadas Reissue for a few sessions, and it was freaking amazing!  My "vintage silverface twin" however was a real disppointment.
I prefer their older stuff.

Felix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Felix » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:10 am

RumorsOFsurF wrote: The other guitarist in my band has a 65 Twin Reverb Reissue.  They are 85 watts, I believe.  The regular Twin is 100.  It sounds great with his Teles. I don't know about a Jazzmaster, though.  He barely is able to crack the volume in small clubs, though.

I highly recommend them if you can't find a vintage one.  If you look hard enough, you can find a 70's silverface one for around the same price as a new one. They aren't as desirable as the 60's ones. 

This will be my next amp purchase.  My Hot Rod Deluxe works well, though... 40 watts, single 12, all tube...
Thanks for the reply. I've been considering a used BF Twin, but often see the prices exceed $2000. Plus the condition was questionable. That being said, I wouldn't mind an original Twin Reverb. If your bandmate happens to jam out with his JM, please post back with your take on it. I'm really thinking this would be the ideal compliment for my AV.

Keep them coming...  ::)
"That's just Dorian"
- Dr. Cox

Felix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Felix » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:13 am

aen wrote: I used mny dadas Reissue for a few sessions, and it was freaking amazing!  My "vintage silverface twin" however was a real disppointment.
Hm. Interesting. I did jam with the TRRI the other day (again). But as the previous poster mentioned, it's really hard to get a room in which you can crank it.

Was the SF a MV version? I did use one many years ago, but like you, sold it becauese I was disappointed with it. Those were my strictly tele days though. Never got to try a JM through it.

Thanks for the reply
"That's just Dorian"
- Dr. Cox

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:24 am

Felix wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I've been considering a used BF Twin, but often see the prices exceed $2000. Plus the condition was questionable. That being said, I wouldn't mind an original Twin Reverb. If your bandmate happens to jam out with his JM, please post back with your take on it. I'm really thinking this would be the ideal compliment for my AV.

He doesn't have a  JM, but I'll try it out with my AVRI if he lets me!! ;D
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

aen
Expat
Expat

Post by aen » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:27 am

Felix wrote:
aen wrote: I used mny dadas Reissue for a few sessions, and it was freaking amazing!  My "vintage silverface twin" however was a real disppointment.
Hm. Interesting. I did jam with the TRRI the other day (again). But as the previous poster mentioned, it's really hard to get a room in which you can crank it.

Was the SF a MV version? I did use one many years ago, but like you, sold it becauese I was disappointed with it. Those were my strictly tele days though. Never got to try a JM through it.

Thanks for the reply
Master Volume version.  NO headroom.  Any accepotable bass presence farts the speakers out.  I was kind of ok with it for a couple days there, but after  io played it again last night, I'm just pissed.
I prefer their older stuff.

Felix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Felix » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:38 am

RumorsOFsurF wrote:
Felix wrote:

He doesn't have a  JM, but I'll try it out with my AVRI if he lets me!! ;D
Ha! Just guilt him into it.  ;)  It's a time-tested classic for me.

I wish I could just buy the whole lineup of blackface Fenders. What a day it would be.

I know what you mean aen - that is exactly the problem I had with the bass. It felt very weak. It could be the caps and old resistors though.
"That's just Dorian"
- Dr. Cox

Felix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Felix » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:57 am

Alright, so I did something yesterday.
I just pulled the trigger on a bf Vibroverb clone. It's a total work of art. And it comes with a great 15" JBL.

I had a chance to buy it for way under the price of a new TRRI -  a little compulsive, I guess. I'll have to buy a Twin another day.
Thanks again everyone for offering up some comments.
"That's just Dorian"
- Dr. Cox

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:42 am

cool! post pics!
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

Felix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Felix » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:50 am

JazzBlaster wrote: cool! post pics!
Can't wait to get this amp. I'll be sure to post some pics.  :)
"That's just Dorian"
- Dr. Cox