Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb RI vs. Fender 65 Princeton RI

Make it loud here.
indiandysummer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb RI vs. Fender 65 Princeton RI

Post by indiandysummer » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:37 pm

If you're going RI, I'd get the Deluxe Reverb. The 12" speaker is great to have (tons more options for upgrading if you want), and the few extra watts are nice if you're gigging or playing in a band. If you buy used, there shouldn't really be a huge price difference, too.

firmdragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by firmdragon » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:32 pm

unless you're only playing in the bedroom, DRRI

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:59 am

I have a completly different opinion.

I own a PRRI and I am very happy with it. I never have played a SF Princeton, so maybe that's the reason I am happy with the RI. But I have played a late 70's SF Deluxe reverb and DRRI (and a Twin SF) and I prefere the PRRI. I think the reverb and the tremolo is better on the PR. 15 watt is ideal for me, I ckank it when i play with a not to load drummer. I think the 10" speaker give it a cool sound. Plus, it's not to heavy.

I play the PRRI with a Vox AC15C1 (wish I have a handwired one) and a ABY switch and I cover a lot of sound that I like.
The Blues Cartographer
(sorry for the spelling, I speak french)

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:22 pm

Arthon wrote:I have a completly different opinion.

I own a PRRI and I am very happy with it. I never have played a SF Princeton, so maybe that's the reason I am happy with the RI. But I have played a late 70's SF Deluxe reverb and DRRI (and a Twin SF) and I prefere the PRRI. I think the reverb and the tremolo is better on the PR. 15 watt is ideal for me, I ckank it when i play with a not to load drummer. I think the 10" speaker give it a cool sound. Plus, it's not to heavy.

I play the PRRI with a Vox AC15C1 (wish I have a handwired one) and a ABY switch and I cover a lot of sound that I like.
I have a DRRI and the other guitarist in my band has a PRRI, and I have to admit.... I like his more. A lot more, actually. Lately I find myself thinking about selling my amp and getting one. I'm hesitant, though. I'm afraid I'll regret it.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

RolanKlaus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RolanKlaus » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:40 pm

Telliot wrote: I have a DRRI and the other guitarist in my band has a PRRI, and I have to admit.... I like his more. A lot more, actually. Lately I find myself thinking about selling my amp and getting one. I'm hesitant, though. I'm afraid I'll regret it.
I had the exact opposite experience. My brother has a PRRI, I've got a DRRI. Tested both a while ago switching between different guitars and pedals etc. I liked the 'punch' in the DRRI better. I also favor the way it breaks up when cranked. His was brand new, mine was about a year old and has been played a lot... Maybe that is the reason... I guess it boils down to personal preferences. I suppose there is really no way of knowing without having tested both.

SoundFrog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SoundFrog » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:34 am

From what I've heard, I prefer the Princeton reissue a wee bit more. More or a sparkly, broken up tone all the way through the dial compared to the Deluxe in some way.

I've found the Princetons to be very dynamic in terms of breakup with pick attack etc. also
Check my band out at www.facebook.com/mojoharvest or mojoharvest.com

sa1126
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sa1126 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:38 pm

I've had two DRRI's and could not dial in a good tone from either. I don't know if it was the speaker but they just seemed to lack the traditional huge fender sound. With that said, my '76 princeton had the tone I wanted right from the start. I have played PRRI's and rather liked them. I would take a PRRI over the DRRI anyday.
Gibson Les Paul Custom --> Orange AD30

great deals with dug, grandmasterdavid, ChrisFFTA, Bryce_dude13, cestlamort, jimi, HNB,blake480,DocCarlson,
Gonkulator, AWSchmit, billboneys, panoramic,Gavanti,seancomm,Swansonron,Con-Tiki!