NAD! Princeton Reverb Content

Make it loud here.
StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NAD! Princeton Reverb Content

Post by StevenO » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:23 am

I took apart the amp yesterday cleaned out all the dust, debris, and packing foam that made it's way into the amp. I even found the plastic/bakelite (?) middle pin tip of the rectifier tube that must have broke off during shipping. It was just floating around inside the chassis, rattling about. Putting it all back together and the amp is not distorting or cutting out the way it used to. I don't know what the deal with that is, exactly, but it's much better now. I'll probably keep playing it until the amp starts acting up again, in which case I'll take it into my tech.

Until then, I just need to get some serrated edge locking washers for the speaker nuts. They keep coming loose and causing a lot of vibration after I've been playing loud for awhile or if I've been playing a lot of low notes.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:20 am

I recorded a little clip of the amp. It's nothing incredible, just something quick.

http://soundcloud.com/steven-o-4/princeton-reverb

I forgot to adjust the settings on the recorder so it sounds really muffled and lo-fi, so I'll record something better when I get time.

As an update, the amp is working 100% now. I honestly have no idea what was going on previously, but it's fine now. The speaker sounds incredible. I totally understand why people flock to those 10" CTS AlNiCo speakers for Super Reverbs. I kind of want to get two more for my Vibrolux. I just wish they were a bit more robust as they overdrive very quickly. The clean tone is simply beautiful, though.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:26 pm

zakmaster wrote:
StevenO wrote:I recorded a little clip of the amp. It's nothing incredible, just something quick.
Wow - that sounds great. Such a cool sounding amp matched nicely with the telecaster. Very nice playing, BTW.
Thanks! I wasn't going for impressive, just literally pressed record and that's what came out. :whistle:

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:25 am

StevenO wrote:I recorded a little clip of the amp. It's nothing incredible, just something quick.
Awesome: 10

:D

Indeed.

Jazzerstang
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jazzerstang » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:54 pm

That is exactly my sound. tele-->way huge green rhino--->late 70s SFPR= awesome. :-*

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:11 pm

Cool! It's a pretty great sound, I must admit. I still plan on putting up better clips, but that'll have to wait for when I have more time.

I may have overestimated the volume of the PR, though. Playing along with a rather hard hitting drummer today, the PR didn't keep up well at all. I don't think the drummer even heard it... With an upgraded speaker, it might be better (currently considering a 50 watt Weber 10F150T). With the current 20-ish watt AlNiCo speaker, it sounds beautiful for low volume stuff and practicing. It'll probably be a great small-gig and recording amp for me.

I'd love to get another amp to complement the Vibrolux that I use for louder stuff. It's always nice to have another amp for when friends come over to jam. Maybe an old Traynor...

:shifty:

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:56 pm

StevenO wrote:Cool! It's a pretty great sound, I must admit. I still plan on putting up better clips, but that'll have to wait for when I have more time.

I may have overestimated the volume of the PR, though. Playing along with a rather hard hitting drummer today, the PR didn't keep up well at all. I don't think the drummer even heard it... With an upgraded speaker, it might be better (currently considering a 50 watt Weber 10F150T). With the current 20-ish watt AlNiCo speaker, it sounds beautiful for low volume stuff and practicing. It'll probably be a great small-gig and recording amp for me.

I'd love to get another amp to complement the Vibrolux that I use for louder stuff. It's always nice to have another amp for when friends come over to jam. Maybe an old Traynor...
Changing the speaker to a more efficient one made a big difference for me. It cannot keep up with a Marshall stack, but it is definitely loud enough to jam with a drummer.
The Blues Cartographer
(sorry for the spelling, I speak french)

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:06 pm

Arthon wrote: Changing the speaker to a more efficient one made a big difference for me. It cannot keep up with a Marshall stack, but it is definitely loud enough to jam with a drummer.
Depends on the drummer, I'd say. But yeah, if I could at least make it usable for that purpose, I'd be quite happy.

rocket_no9
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rocket_no9 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:18 am

i've had a weber 10ft something (ceramic) in my 68' PR for years. totally love amp, gets more use than any other amp i own, and can get very loud ... recently started imagining i'd like to hear something alnico in amp. a friend lent me a weber blue pup. 1st note i hit at home i was like "i don't know about this" ... had a gig that night and i swear if i had a wrench on stage i would have swapped speakers back between tunes! while blue pup had a sound, it just gave it up wayy too quick. there's a cool synergy between a low powered amp and a sturdy speaker. needless to say, next day the ceramic went back in and i won't wander again. (until next time).

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:33 am

Good to know! I'll get around to buying the Weber eventually. I've just been spending too much moola lately with not enough moola coming in.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:56 pm

I have a Weber 10F150T coming my way. I hope it comes sooooon. I absolutely love the Princeton right now, but I really want to be able to use it to it's fullest potential. Kind of excited to hear what it'll sound like. It's probably one of the best amps I've ever had the opportunity to play.

When the speaker comes, I'll do an actual good clip. :)