The kids will love it

Make it loud here.
flatfiver
Expat
Expat

The kids will love it

Post by flatfiver » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:16 pm

So this guy is in the store today checking out the Fender G-DEC and asks if we take trade-ins.

"Yes," I tell him.

"Oh, okay.  I've got a '60s Fender Princeton, you know, blackface.  My kids would love this thing (the G-DEC).

I told him to keep the Princeton and buy a drum machine.
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Re: The kids will love it

Post by zhivago » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:51 am

oh man!

it's amazing this stuff still happens!!!

what was the story about the kid that walks in with a LPB Jag (or JM - can't remember) and insists on trading it for a cheapo shredder guitar, even when told his guitar is valuable and could buy him loads of shredder guitars!!  :o  :(
Resident Spartan.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:04 am

flatfiver wrote: I told him to keep the Princeton and buy a drum machine.
You're a nice person, and that's a good thing.  :)

Lots of guys would have done the deal, gave him squat for it, and then bought the store out of it. I used to watch (with disgust) this particular guy in a Tucson gear store ripping people on trade ins and then selling their stuff at guitar shows and on eBay later. It's pretty sad when some bonehead in a reputable store is screwing people worse than Speedy Pawn down the street.

>:(
Q. Are we not men?

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:57 pm

I got taken once in Austin, I had a 70's Princeton I wanted to trade for a Marshall cabinet (I didn't know any better back then). The guy sees the amp and I could see in him get excited and then play it off. I thought, "that was weird." Only after I got home with a beat up Marshal cabinet with a blown speaker, did I find out what an idiot I was. You live and learn.
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:16 am

flatfiver wrote: So this guy is in the store today checking out the Fender G-DEC and asks if we take trade-ins.

"Yes," I tell him.

"Oh, okay.  I've got a '60s Fender Princeton, you know, blackface.  My kids would love this thing (the G-DEC).

I told him to keep the Princeton and buy a drum machine.
He called it a "blackface"? That's pretty gear-nerdish. I would expect a clueless person like that to just say "I have a really old amp so it's probably not worth anything".
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Post by flatfiver » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:05 pm

okay, so an update:

The guy came in on Sunday and did the trade - the amp was a blackface non-reverb Princeton.  Apparently it's pretty beat and needs some work, but does work & sounds pretty good.  I say apparently because my manager bought it immediately - I never saw it!

This customer is relatively well-off and knows a decent bit about gear and was happy with the deal.

What's a Princeton (NON-reverb) in crap condition going for these days? 
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance

rabidhamster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rabidhamster » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:01 am

a lot.  600 bucks?