Replacing my Twin

Make it loud here.
Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Replacing my Twin

Post by Sauerkraut » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:58 am

I'm thinking about selling my '79 Twin Reverb (mastervolume, UL). I have too turn it up too loud before it starts to come alive and it's so bright it's hurting my ears.

I want to replacing it with another silverface or a Vox AC-30, preferably pre-mastervolume, with 2 speakers (at least 10"-ers). Some models I want to check out are Pro Reverb (2*12 and just as big as the twin but only 40-60 watts), Prosonic, Vibrolux Reverb and maybe a Bandmaster, and of course an AC-30. But it seems that only the old Twins are affordable, my budget would be around 750 euro's (that's what I'm hoping to sell the Twin for).

Are there any other amps I should try?
(don't suggest anything from the same series as the hot rod deluxe, they just don't do it for me)

Jay
Admin
Admin

Re: Replacing my Twin

Post by Jay » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:16 am

Have you thought about one of the new AC30CC amps?  Not sure how much they are in Euros but I know they're under $1000 US new.  I'm a firm believer in the newer "made like the older" amps.  The chances of getting a dud that requires a lot of maintenance is WAY lower and they're generally built to sound like the best vintage examples while using often times higher quality chassis and parts.  The VOX is probably not the best example of this as it's a printed circuit construction of above-average quality but I've heard that they sound great... and like an AC30 should.

TheMilford
Expat
Expat

Post by TheMilford » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:26 am

I love Pro Reverbs... Bandmasters are good deals tooand you could use with a small cabinet... would make lugging easier.
http://seasonfinale.bandcamp.com/
http://www.tronographic.com/

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:45 am

I got a SF Pro Reverb which was converted to a head (ie chop-chop) for EUR 325 last year from a German online classified ad. If I was anything more than a hoarder / hack I'd get a 2x10 cab made for it and drop the chassis in. My point is that sometimes the "screwed-with" gear is a good option since anyone looking for vintage value runs away screaming, letting us poor people have a realistic shot.  ;)
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

burker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burker » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:57 am

I definitly say bandmasters are great sounding amps, I never hear anyone talk about them...
The one have is a blackface head, I run it into a 2x12 marshall cabinet, sounds great, you still see bandmasters going for (relatively)  good prices sometimes. My uncle has a pro reverb, its a great sounding amp aswell!

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:24 am

Jay wrote: Have you thought about one of the new AC30CC amps?  Not sure how much they are in Euros but I know they're under $1000 US new.  I'm a firm believer in the newer "made like the older" amps.  The chances of getting a dud that requires a lot of maintenance is WAY lower and they're generally built to sound like the best vintage examples while using often times higher quality chassis and parts.  The VOX is probably not the best example of this as it's a printed circuit construction of above-average quality but I've heard that they sound great... and like an AC30 should.
maintenance is not an issue, in fact I'd rather have an old one because there's a great technician a few streets away and he's specialized in fixing handwired amps. So I'd rather not get an amp with printed circuits.

but thanks anyway, I heard good things about those too, it's just not a good amp for me.
Last edited by Sauerkraut on Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.