Cheap Pedals

Everyone needs a stompbox.
FightingPlankton
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Cheap Pedals

Post by FightingPlankton » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:04 pm

Beefheart wrote: I have been wanting one of these for about six months now. They have been sold out on Amazon and everywhere else online. I went into a local store and found one for $40. .. I'm digging it so far, so appreciate you confirming its worth it.
totally worth $40. I paid about $85 for both of the ones i bought(bought one, sold it, missed it and bought another)
Beefheart wrote:The guy was surprised I wanted it and told me it had been there for years untouched.
this is people letting their wallets tell them what sounds good. "if its that cheap, it can't be good" or "that brand is aweful because they arent strymon(or other top shelf brand)"
Last edited by FightingPlankton on Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is acoustic? Oh, you means a grandpa's guitars? A grandpa's guitars? That's for pussies and grandpas. I think you know it.

thenewromance
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thenewromance » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:07 pm

Beefheart wrote:
FightingPlankton wrote: I also highly recommend the Behringer Vintage Time Machine if a DMM is out of your price range. Its a bit darker/moodier than the EHX, but I prefer that in my delays.
I have been wanting one of these for about six months now. They have been sold out on Amazon and everywhere else online. I went into a local store and found one for $40. The guy was surprised I wanted it and told me it had been there for years untouched. I'm digging it so far, so appreciate you confirming its worth it.
How unfortunate I find out about this only now. It's probably one of those effects that'll be known as good value down the road. See Toneloks :)

JBhome
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JBhome » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:13 pm

I have a joyo ultimate drive, tremolo and ultimate octave. All are superb build quality and have great sounds in them. I'm sure the Fulltone pedals they're based on may sound a bit better, but not enough to justify the £100 price difference (at least not for my purposes anyway).

Also highly rate the Behringer DM2 clone which is excellent, and the DR100 reverb is pretty good. Also growing to love my R.Attack Rat clone - bought on a whim for £18 and its really helping lead lines cut through

But my favourite useful cheap pedal remains the bad monkey. Its always been great for pushing my amp and with a recent minor mod I've got rid of the mid hump that didn't work for my sound

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:36 pm

The Joyo Ultimate drive is pretty nice, but mine picked up the radio, so it went.
This is an excellent rectangle

thedude99
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thedude99 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:33 pm

I regret not pulling the trigger on the Vintage Time Machine. They were being blown out in Future Shop (Canadian Version of Best Buy at the time) for $40.00. I had a gift card I was trying to find something but - and I had that pedal in my shopping cart, but decided I really didn't need another delay or a pedal that large. I think I bought printer ink instead.

valley_parade
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by valley_parade » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:47 pm

I've got a random Chinese clone of a Woolly Mammoth that I picked up on eBay for like $30 and absolutely crushes. Also have a Behringer reverb arriving tomorrow that's supposed to be a Boss clone, I think (RV-6?).

But then again my whole set-up is really uh, "budget conscious". My JM and Esquire are parted together from mostly Squier parts, and I'm running it all into a Champ 600.

Those Vintage Time Machines seem pretty rad. I think delay is the next addition to my board, and it'll either be that or a Biyang Baby Boom delay. They seem to be somewhat based on a Carbon Copy?

thedude99
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thedude99 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:33 pm

On the budget-conscious train - anyone have any experience with the Behringer VB-2 clone? I'm kind of curious (had a VB-2 years ago and sort of miss it), I've heard mixed things on it though. Common complaint I hear is that it's really noisy. But most of those threads are on TGP, and I take most of what I read on their with a grain of salt.

rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rhythmjones » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:11 am

Everytime I play a show (or make a new recording,) other guitarists come up to me and ask me about my fuzz tone. I proudly point down at my '90's Danelectro Fab Tone.

Here's an example: https://electricorchids.bandcamp.com/tr ... you-want-2

I just picked up a Danecho recently and it's pretty awesome too!
- Mitch

FightingPlankton
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FightingPlankton » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:38 am

rhythmjones wrote:Everytime I play a show (or make a new recording,) other guitarists come up to me and ask me about my fuzz tone. I proudly point down at my '90's Danelectro Fab Tone.
pretty sure mudhoney uses this pedal too. great tones. I swapped the diodes in mine for LEDs and replaced a couple caps to mellow the highs, not as fuzzy now, but great tone still.
What is acoustic? Oh, you means a grandpa's guitars? A grandpa's guitars? That's for pussies and grandpas. I think you know it.

repoman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by repoman » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:21 am

rhythmjones wrote:Everytime I play a show (or make a new recording,) other guitarists come up to me and ask me about my fuzz tone. I proudly point down at my '90's Danelectro Fab Tone.

Haha, I have one of those, I always hated it because it sounded like super brutal distortion to me. Just ridiculous amounts of gain from the get go. Maybe I need to give it another shot, its been in my closet for like 10 years. I even tried to give it away on CL a bunch of times and no one wanted it.

I have a Danelectro French Toast that's really great...or was. I took it apart thinking I would rehouse it but some stuff is attached to the board all tricky. I think its a Foxx Tone Machine clone?

triviani
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by triviani » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:24 pm

repoman wrote:

Haha, I have one of those, I always hated it because it sounded like super brutal distortion to me. Just ridiculous amounts of gain from the get go. Maybe I need to give it another shot, its been in my closet for like 10 years. I even tried to give it away on CL a bunch of times and no one wanted it.

I have a Danelectro French Toast that's really great...or was. I took it apart thinking I would rehouse it but some stuff is attached to the board all tricky. I think its a Foxx Tone Machine clone?
The owner of Danelectro was the original designer of the Foxx Tone Machine, so I'm not sure if we can call it a "clone" ;D
An AC30 fired in anger can peel the paint from your automobile...

veryredtomatoes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by veryredtomatoes » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:16 pm

The cheapest pedal on my board is an EHX Metal Muff, and I love it. The only fuzz I have ever found that just works for me. I turn everything all the way up and, YOW! It was $55 brand new.
Today is a good day to die.

dlrgits
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by dlrgits » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:01 pm

repoman wrote:I hadn't played guitar in quite a while, it seems like theres a horde of budget effects on the market now, and lots seem kind of under the radar.

What are your favorite cheap pedals? Ones that interest you?
I've got a boatload (well, 28 to be exact) of the little Mooer pedals, as well as one of their little 5W tube heads. Dirt cheap and mostly sound good.

carloshacecosas
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by carloshacecosas » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:20 am

thedude99 wrote:On the budget-conscious train - anyone have any experience with the Behringer VB-2 clone? I'm kind of curious (had a VB-2 years ago and sort of miss it), I've heard mixed things on it though. Common complaint I hear is that it's really noisy. But most of those threads are on TGP, and I take most of what I read on their with a grain of salt.
I have one and it's actually amazing: no noise, no tone-loss. The other guitarrist in my band has a Malekko Vibrato and I find that one noisier.

My only complaint is about the case and the footswitch. I don't think it'll break soon, I just don't like how it «feels».

rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rhythmjones » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:25 pm

repoman wrote:

You have to keep the bass cranked. As soon as you start cutting bass, it gets fizzy as shit. But with the bass cranked it's amazing.
- Mitch