Re: your effects setup?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
F15hface
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by F15hface » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:56 pm

My distortion wasn’t doing it in a band context and I remembered that I don’t really care about delay so the board has been jiggled:

Got the monument on there because I was missing tremolo, and brought the rat in for high gain because it just works.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:43 pm

F15hface wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:56 pm
brought the rat in for high gain because it just works.
Yep. I have swapped many pedals in for this job and always come back to a Rat. Nice setup.

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:37 am

F15hface wrote:
Lack of delay aside (hehe :P ) that's a good board. I think the HF-2 is an underrated pedal, certainly whips the BF-2 (hi-band flanging is the only kind I like otherwise I go for phaser, I want it to colour the guitar tone not be the guitar tone), and almost no-one ever went wrong with a RAT. Which JHS pedal is that?
"High yella high red high blue she blew
High Ella high Ella Guru"

- CAPTAIN BEEFHEART, "Ella Guru"

F15hface
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by F15hface » Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:04 am

crazyzeke wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:37 am
F15hface wrote:
Lack of delay aside (hehe :P ) that's a good board. I think the HF-2 is an underrated pedal, certainly whips the BF-2 (hi-band flanging is the only kind I like otherwise I go for phaser, I want it to colour the guitar tone not be the guitar tone), and almost no-one ever went wrong with a RAT. Which JHS pedal is that?
I knew the lack of delay would an anathema to a lot of OSG. What you say about flanger is exactly why I got the HF-2, I haven’t exactly set it for subtlety but it feels a lot more transparent that other flangers on similar settings would.

No JHS on the board atm, which pedal are you referring to?

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:48 am

F15hface wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:04 am
I knew the lack of delay would an anathema to a lot of OSG. What you say about flanger is exactly why I got the HF-2, I haven’t exactly set it for subtlety but it feels a lot more transparent that other flangers on similar settings would.

The red one with the three white controls and the "kindly remember" text on the top, for some reason I always think that's a Josh pedal 😂

With the delay that's more teasing - up until recently I used to practice Jag -> clean boost -> practice amp with gain/master volume, it's only recently I've gone for the Affordaboard which can have up to 3 delays on it, cascading into each other, and all sounds great in the rehearsal room too, even the Daddy-O pedal which didn't sound as good at lower volumes comes alive when there's drums and bass to bounce off of.

F15hface
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by F15hface » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:08 am

crazyzeke wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:48 am
F15hface wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:04 am

The red one with the three white controls and the "kindly remember" text on the top, for some reason I always think that's a Josh pedal 😂
Ah yeah, that’s a Klon KTR. I figured it l if I was going to try the whole Klon thing I should do it properly, and after stumbling upon one in stock for retail when used ones were £500 and also very sleep deprived I went for it. Great pedal.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:48 pm

Today I swapped the Big Muff out for my Lovetone Cheese Source, so this is already out of date. The Big Muff is one that I built into a gutted enclosure. It’s a Bubble Font. The old Fender Tube Reverb is downstream of course. I hardly ever play without it. The lowend response on the Carmen Ghia is super fat, so I hooked up the old MXR eq to tweak it a bit.

A death’s head ring upon his finger

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:35 pm

i love sharin foo wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:48 pm
Today I swapped the Big Muff out for my Lovetone Cheese Source, so this is already out of date. The Big Muff is one that I built into a gutted enclosure. It’s a Bubble Font. The old Fender Tube Reverb is downstream of course. I hardly ever play without it. The lowend response on the Carmen Ghia is super fat, so I hooked up the old MXR eq to tweak it a bit.

Great photo :-*

Looks like you’re going to need a third board ;D
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:18 am

Fuzz-tastic, as always, Justin!!!! :-*
Resident Spartan.

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:41 am

sal paradise wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:35 pm
Looks like you’re going to need a third board ;D
Yeah he does... in an ideal world I'd have 3-4 pedal boards and about 6 amps, but it would be a nightmare to sort out at gigs (basically impossible at smaller venues) 😂

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:44 am

I am finally at the point in my life where I realize that NO gear is going to make me a better player. Nothing will make me sound like someone else beyond the most basic things. The only way I’m going to get to where I want to go is paying my dues by practicing and learning as much as I possibly can. And that is what I’ve been doing for months now and I have no plans to let up. With that said, I’m fortunate and grateful to have a lot of the gear that I do. It took a long time for all this stuff to pile up like it has hehe. I have plenty of room, cables, and power supplies to run really ridiculously gigantic setups, so what the hell :D it’s nice to not beat myself up trying to figure which one or two Fuzz Faces sound best or something like that. I just hook up both. If I were venturing out of the basement to go jam somewhere, I figure I could easily get by with only 4 or 5 pedals probably. Good amps do most of the heavy lifting as far as my favorite tones go. I’m just glad to not be stuck in the rut where I think a certain effect is going to work wonders for me then move on to the next one when I’m still the same player I was before.
A death’s head ring upon his finger

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:52 am

That was a beautifully introspective post so I'm going to try to tread lightly and give good advice because "it's not the gear" is one of the greatest epiphany moments in guitar playing that I personally have ever experienced.

i love sharin foo wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:44 am
I am finally at the point in my life where I realize that NO gear is going to make me a better player.
Correct, gear can often be a crutch and getting past that point can be liberating when you make peace with the realisation.

i love sharin foo wrote:
Nothing will make me sound like someone else beyond the most basic things.

Your playing is informed by everyone you were influenced by so you will by proxy sound like them, but hopefully also like yourself, and that's the best thing. Copying other people gets you only so far, but when you realise a common theme to things you like about the guitar, you can go after a concept rather than a specific sound or player.

For example, I'm massively in love with jazz chords/extensions and how to use them in rock/pop for flavour but not draw too much attention. The players who got me here include Andy Summers and James Dean Bradfield, they were the jumping off point, but because it made me want to study chord theory and looking at how pianists approach it (tight clusters are important for minimal hand movement so good ones are using inversions all the time, or missing out notes that other instruments have covered already) I ended up learning more than I would have just aping someone else's playing style - I'd have the end result (the sound) but I wouldn't understand the why, and honestly the why is the real knowledge.

i love sharin foo wrote:
The only way I’m going to get to where I want to go is paying my dues by practicing and learning as much as I possibly can. And that is what I’ve been doing for months now and I have no plans to let up.

This is wonderful, and you should keep at it as long as it's fun, you know? Taking the pressure off of yourself so you are learning and practicing, applying what you're learning, but keeping it spontaneous. Sometimes writing something interesting is as simple as learning or discovering a new chord/scale and just playing around with it.

i love sharin foo wrote:
I’m just glad to not be stuck in the rut where I think a certain effect is going to work wonders for me then move on to the next one when I’m still the same player I was before.

This is why I'm a big believer in no rig or only one pedal - I used to practice just guitar -> amp for years, because then the challenge is making the guitar parts interesting with no pedals to hide behind. I even did it last night when I was retuning the Jag/Meteora to Eb for the paid gig tonight. Initially going "oh I miss the clean boost and the stereo amp setup with chorus blah blah blah" but then I was like, work with what you have. And proceeded to play funk for an hour on the Meteora, chuckling about how it sounded ridiculous and Fenders are just the silliest sounding guitars (thin, twangy, lots of attack not enough sustain) but somehow it works and they're awesome.