Moog Murf and creating a simple board to push the limits

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Moog Murf and creating a simple board to push the limits

Post by Pepe Silvia » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:18 am

I'm not a big pedal guy, all I have is an analog delay that i use mostly for clean boost, overdrive, a muff and a rat. I want to add to my board the fewest amount of pedals that would let me push the limits of the sounds that a guitar can make. I really could buy a million pedals but I want to keep it simple. i want to be able to make glitchy noises as well as make my guitar no longer sound like a guitar. I want a good delay like a Strymon Time line, a Pog 2, and I was thinking a Moog Murf. However, I am wondering if I would get board of the Murf too quickly. are there any owners of the Murf on here? does anyone recommend different pedals? I was also thinking a moog mf ring.
Last edited by Pepe Silvia on Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

thegumbootman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Moog Murf and creating a simple board to push the limits

Post by thegumbootman » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:05 am

eurotrashed wrote:I'm not a big pedal guy, all I have is an analog delay that i use mostly for clean boost, overdrive, a muff and a rat. I want to add to my board the fewest amount of pedals that would let me push the limits of the sounds that a guitar can make. I really could buy a million pedals but I qant to keep it simple. i want to be able to make glitchy noises as well as make my guitar no longer sound like a guitar. I want a good delay like a Strymon Time line, a Pog 2, and I was thinking a Moog Murf. However, I am wondering if I would get board of the Murf too quickly. are there any owners of the Murf on here? does anyone recommend different pedals? I was also thinking a moog mf ring.
I've got a MuRF and a Ring Mod (the bigger one, not the mf one). And a TimeLine for that matter. All super cool pedals!

Here's an example of the MuRF (with the rate turned up) on this thing I recorded 4 years ago:

https://soundcloud.com/thomasgumley/mank#t=0:53

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:06 am

You could do it with 3-4 pedals if you want analog, less if digital.

1) gated fuzz- I like the Fairfield Circuit Unpleasant Surprise: gated, glitchy, synthy, overly compressed industrial strength signal distortion. A Fuzz Factory or similar would work too.
2) ring modulator- I like the Lovetone RingStinger: tremolo, to theremin, to sirens, to dalek voices, plus a really nice octave fuzz. Moog makes a really nice one as well and so does Fairfield, the Randy's Revenge.
3) envelope filter- I have an Electrix Filter Queen, which does more than most pedals will, except for a Moog, so I would suggest Moog here...unless you can find and fund a Ludwig Phase II
4) analog delay with modulation- Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man for me, but a Moog would kill too and look nice next to the other Moogs. The Fairfield Meet Maude is another good choice.

Maybe a pitchshifter/harmonizer if that isn't enough? Digitech Whammy or the Pog you mentioned? EHx makes a lot of synthy-organ-pitch pedals.

If digital is ok, then glitchy fuzz-Eventide Mod Factor-Eventide Pitch Factor and don't forget the expression pedal! On a real budget, you can do a lot with old tech like a Boss SE-70 or something from Zoom.

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:53 am

Thanks for the feedback

So my current setup is a Lovepedal Echophonic Jr Analog delay with modulation, a stomp under foot Violet Rams Head Muff, Mooer Black Secret Rat, and a Black Arts Tone works Black Forest Fuzz v1 which will do a clean boost, a kind of overdrive into kind of tonebender type fuzz.

I had some other fuzzes and tried gated fuzzed and real velcro fuzzes but they were like one trick ponies and I didn't really use them.

I had a Whammy but thought it sounded like shit, I never used the expression pedal so I think a Pog2. Can cover those bases.

I thought about an Organizer or some sort of synth pedal but again I see them as one trick ponies and I think a Pog2 can cover enough of those bases.

I like the Timeline as I am more interested in digital delay but it seems to be able to do everything.

I am really looking for pedals that have a variety of uses.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:16 am

eurotrashed wrote:Thanks for the feedback

I like the Timeline as I am more interested in digital delay but it seems to be able to do everything.

Oh, see that's different than "really pushing the limits" at least as far as shadoweclipse13 or Danyosound or a few others on this board would define it.

The Timeline is a fine delay that is very deep, versatile, and most importantly, sounds good. The Black Arts that you have is a good pedal too. The Pog should fit in nicely as well, though it's not near as versatile or boundary pushing as some others. None of those are really experimental or glitchy on their own, but a creative player could use them well.

Now you've got me thinking about putting a Fairfield Circuitry board together: Randy's Revenge+Unpleasant Surprise+Four Eyes+Meet Maude-! That could do all sorts of damage and I wouldn't need to play more than a note every 20-30 seconds :w00t:

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:19 am

fuzzjunkie wrote:
eurotrashed wrote:Thanks for the feedback

Oh, see that's different than "really pushing the limits" at least as far as shadoweclipse13 or Danyosound or a few others on this board would define it.

The Timeline is a fine delay that is very deep, versatile, and most importantly, sounds good. The Black Arts that you have is a good pedal too. The Pog should fit in nicely as well, though it's not near as versatile or boundary pushing as some others. None of those are really experimental or glitchy on their own, but a creative player could use them well.

Now you've got me thinking about putting a Fairfield Circuitry board together: Randy's Revenge+Unpleasant Surprise+Four Eyes+Meet Maude-! That could do all sorts of damage and I wouldn't need to play more than a note every 20-30 seconds
Yeah, I don't think a lot of the stuff I'm looking at are that crazy on their own, but I think when they are combined correctly then I can get some interesting sounds.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:17 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:Oh, see that's different than "really pushing the limits" at least as far as shadoweclipse13 or Danyosound or a few others on this board would define it.
:D Damn right, I like it downright funky ;)

I like where you're thinking Eurotrashed: things that can be tamed or can be crazy when combined. The combined sounds, to me, are where it's at. You can REALLY crazy with a few pedals feeding into each other...

A Fairfield board would rock, as would a whole Moog board (:? :? :?), and in think you're right on the money with a POG. The 2 is very usable and has tons of sounds in it.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

lazycircles
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by lazycircles » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:44 pm

if you want something that pushes the limits pretty hard, i'd recommend the montreal assembly count to 5. it is an endless inspiration machine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fpAFzXC-to

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:27 pm

lazycircles wrote:if you want something that pushes the limits pretty hard, i'd recommend the montreal assembly count to 5. it is an endless inspiration machine...

That is pretty cool, although I think that demo is like a joke from Portlandia.

I'm really thinking this setup plus a pog2 will get me where I want

https://youtu.be/y1Z6TZ7oagI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thegumbootman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thegumbootman » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:16 pm

eurotrashed wrote:
lazycircles wrote:if you want something that pushes the limits pretty hard, i'd recommend the montreal assembly count to 5. it is an endless inspiration machine...

That is exactly how I feel about Knobs demos.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:45 pm

If you've got the cash, I think that the WMD Protostar would also push some serious boundaries. It's so tweakable it's not even funny. I want one to mess around with pretty bad, but those bastard aren't cheap.

https://youtu.be/ukuXvighe1M
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Hyphen Nation
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Hyphen Nation » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:22 pm

eurotrashed wrote:I'm not a big pedal guy, all I have is an analog delay that i use mostly for clean boost, overdrive, a muff and a rat. I want to add to my board the fewest amount of pedals that would let me push the limits of the sounds that a guitar can make. I really could buy a million pedals but I want to keep it simple. i want to be able to make glitchy noises as well as make my guitar no longer sound like a guitar. I want a good delay like a Strymon Time line, a Pog 2, and I was thinking a Moog Murf. However, I am wondering if I would get board of the Murf too quickly. are there any owners of the Murf on here? does anyone recommend different pedals? I was also thinking a moog mf ring.
There is a lot out there.

Montreal Assembly CT5 is pretty amazing.
Earthquaker Devices has a number of things that push you away from sounding like a guitar. Organizer, Rainbow Machine [elves on acid], etc.
Anything by Lastgasp, but the Misty Cave does a nice resonance thing.
Glitch: Masf Raptio, or any of the granular stuff that Red Panda is making
I have a hard time with things that have repeated patterns, like the Murf and it's why I didn't buy a Dream Sequence when they first dropped, though I still might, and I am curious about using a Murf and triggering it with the Mooger Low Pass Filter.

I'd join IloveFuzz if you haven't already. Pedal insights abound there.

Hyphen Nation
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Hyphen Nation » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:23 pm

thegumbootman wrote:
eurotrashed wrote:

Yes, I stopped watching them. I really only trust Just Nick, or forum member's demos.

thegumbootman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thegumbootman » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:04 am

Hyphen Nation wrote: Yes, I stopped watching them. I really only trust Just Nick, or forum member's demos.
Pedals & Effects (Juan Alderete + Nick Reinhart) videos are great if you haven't seen them.

lazycircles
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by lazycircles » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:09 am

thegumbootman wrote:
eurotrashed wrote:

Absolutely fair point...I mean, he did basically put a bird on it. :fp: