The Zoom MS-70CDR gets even better

Everyone needs a stompbox.
somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Zoom MS-70CDR gets even better

Post by somanytoys » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:13 pm

That’s good info, thanks.

I haven’t looked into it, since I haven’t really messed with the CDR using midi, so I’m not familiar with how it works & reacts with midi hooked up. I should probably read through the CDR’s manual again.

So the CDR won’t accept midi signals to go to specific patches, you can only scroll through the patches, and it actively changes patches with every scroll movement? Or is only having the ability to scroll up & down a limitation of the micro?

After moving into midi the little I have, that’s my main goal & usage - to send a signal to have the effect go directly to a specific patch.

With the mini-mongoose & SPX 90. I can scroll through banks on the mm to get to the bank with the patch I want to go to, but it doesn’t change the patch I’m currently on while I’m scrolling, until I hit the specific footswitch for that next patch to engage it.

I don’t know that I’d use very many of the 40 hard-coded presets (maybe a few) on the CDR, I’d mainly be interested in hopping directly from one to another of the 10 user-programmable patches on he CDR.

I’m not in a giant hurry to get the micro, but that info does give me some things to research & chew on. Thanks for posting that.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

fisonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fisonic » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:26 pm

OK. Firstly the 50 patch memories in the zoom are all editable, ie, you can overwrite save what ever effects & settings you like in all 50. They merely come with 40 pre-loaded presets to give you a taste of the possibilities. None are read only.

In answer to your question, yes you can assign a specific patch command to any of the DMC micro’s 99 program locations, so for example program 1 in the micro can be linked to patch 25 command in the micro initiating patch 25 in the zoom. Thus my comment of only needing 1 bypass patch setting in the zoom, being able to be recalled in the micro in what ever program location you like. The micro also allows you to limit the amount of programs, so if you only want 15 it will go back to zero on the next press down.
Good that you can save & leave your favourite or song specific patches where they are in the zoom & can just alter the assignment in the micro to suit your changing setlist content & ordering. Worth doing a spread sheet with your zooms patch no’s & titles so that you can program the micro in one hit, without all the back & forth.
I’m pretty sure you can lock out the micro’s save function so that you don’t inadvertently mess up your patch locations. I’ve only given it a few hours of noodling, so can’t claim to know all the settings contained within the micro printed manual supplied.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:52 am

Okay, that’s all very interesting, and good to know.

I thought that I had tried to change & save a patch on one of the first 40 slots at one point and it wouldn’t let me. But it’s been quite a while since I’ve messed with it, and there’s no telling what happened (maybe alcohol was involved...may be)

That’s great because there are a LOT of patches in the first 40 that I’ll never use. Some are good baselines to get ideas from or mod into something better, some I found to be pretty useless. Now I can put more use to some of the new effects included in the previous update.

All of that definitely makes the micro more functional, with this and other pedals. Just out of curiousity, did you buy/use their ghost cable, or just a usb cable with both of those specific connectors?

Thanks for taking the time to go through that, it’s appreciated.
-David

fisonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fisonic » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:31 pm

Yeah, I bought the ghost cable $10 US.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:23 am

Definitely something to think about.

Even spending again what the pedal costs on it, it seems like with that controller, this has the potential to become a somewhat cheaper but similar thing to the new TC board (I forget the name, but there’s a thread on it here).
-David

invisible man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by invisible man » Mon May 18, 2020 7:10 pm

Do these have analog-dry-through?
https://soundcloud.com/billy-gashade

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue May 19, 2020 4:13 am

I believe that it is, but I’m not totally positive about it. I’ll try to take a look at the manual, and edit this or put up a. new post when I find out.

The manual doesn’t say, but I’m thinking that it’s not true bypass.

I haven’t noticed a problem when bypassing the entire chain/patch with the line selector (set as the first effect in a patch), but if there was a problem with noise, a change in the signal or whatever, it could be put into a bypass loop for true bypass.
-David

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:53 pm

So, there's some interesting news here. There's a program out there called the "zoom effect manager". This is the direct link to the file in the developer's google drive, which I post with no warranty or anything. As always, be careful about on the internet, download and use at your own risk, etc etc. I haven't seen anyone complaining about malware, though, and I guess this has been around for about a year, so there's that. Use best practices. You're a grownup. I just found out about this and haven't tried it yet, it's exciting so of course people should know about it.

The gist is that all of the various effects and models on their pedals are in the library, and it allows you to pick and choose which ones you want or don't want, and load those into whichever zoom pedal you have. I can finally get rid of the effects I don't use to try new ones! :w00t:

It's kinda the dream option. And since it now allows you to load amp sims and distortions and stuff, you could conceivably not need any more pedals than just the CDR if you aren't a super effects heavy player.

Hope it's useful to y'all.
This is an excellent rectangle