Surf delay

Everyone needs a stompbox.
surfingonacid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Surf delay

Post by surfingonacid » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:14 am

Yeah, the Echorec has the swell knob which I seem to remember sort of acting like a repeat knob but not exactly? It's been a while now but I seem to remember it adding repeats as well as modulation which didn't work for me at all. I really like how the Belle Epoch has its own repeat knob ('echo sustain') and modulation knob ('mod') to add tape warble.
The Wampler Faux Echo is similar to the Belle Epoch in regards to being able to control what you want, but does sound different in a good way. I like that it has a switch ('faux tape reel') to disengage the modulation control knob ('movement') so you can just flick it back on mid song without having to dial it. I much recommend the Wampler as well as the Belle. The Wampler to me is more straight forward like a regular delay pedal and the Belle is a direct inspiration of the original Echoplex. I'd like to try the new Dunlop Echoplex but they are really expensive over here and I feel I might need more control over the effect.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:22 pm

The Belle Epoch is good enough but kind of uninspiring and characterless. The warble/chorus effect I remember to be very over-the-top and fake (but that's better than the 80s chorus on my supa-puss).The BE was too similar to my RE20 to be worth keeping, but if I was after something smaller than the RE20 it'd be just the ticket. I'd love to try an echorec, I reckon I'd get on with it.

garyfanclub
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyfanclub » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:36 am

Two suggestions, one in your price range, one not:

1. Ibanez DE-7 - Can be found for roughly $70 on Reverb, really warm and organic tone on the Echo setting, self oscillates, makes convincing warbly sounds when you twist the knobs. And, for this price, you can save up some cash for my next suggestion..

2. Deluxe Memory Man (big box) - I'm the same way about wanting my tone to sound as "organic" as possible, so I'm picky about my delays. In the 10 years I've had my DMM, I haven't found anything that comes close to the warm, hazy echo it serves up. My practice setup is a '65 Ampeg Reverberocket 2 and the DMM - turn it up and add a pinch of echo/vibrato and it'll nail the 50's-60's Link Wray tones. So yeah, fully endorsed. Yes, they're $400ish now, but they're so worth it.

mike fried
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mike fried » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:34 am

garyfanclub wrote:Two suggestions, one in your price range, one not:
2. Deluxe Memory Man (big box) - I'm the same way about wanting my tone to sound as "organic" as possible, so I'm picky about my delays. In the 10 years I've had my DMM, I haven't found anything that comes close to the warm, hazy echo it serves up. My practice setup is a '65 Ampeg Reverberocket 2 and the DMM - turn it up and add a pinch of echo/vibrato and it'll nail the 50's-60's Link Wray tones. So yeah, fully endorsed. Yes, they're $400ish now, but they're so worth it.
Interesting! I use a '68 Reverberocket 2 with an EHX Deluxe Memory Boy and it sounds fantastic - nothing else needed (by me, anyway) for great instro rock ;D

surfingonacid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by surfingonacid » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:37 am

MechaBulletBill wrote:The Belle Epoch is good enough but kind of uninspiring and characterless.
If this were true I wouldn't be using it

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:22 am

Out of the budget I suppose, but this does both tape and analog emulation (and has subdivision choices and tap tempo).

https://www.alexanderpedals.com/shop/hi ... sson-vol-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EHX Canyon has analog and tape emulation that sound ok, but I wasn't impressed with the overall quality when I tried one.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:53 am

surfingonacid wrote:
MechaBulletBill wrote:The Belle Epoch is good enough but kind of uninspiring and characterless.
If this were true I wouldn't be using it
To me, it was just a cleaner, less "playable" RE20 with two annoying bypass modes.

surfingonacid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by surfingonacid » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:15 pm

I have no clue what you mean when you mention its bypass modes. Mine's either on or off. Do you mean the trails mode? I never and won't ever use that.

I have only ever played an RE20 a couple of times and I can't compare it to the Belle.. They are emulating two completely different tape echo units. Boss RE-20 = 1980s Roland Space Echo (and has reverb), Belle Epoch = 1960s Maestro Echoplex. The RE20 seems to be a good pedal, though I have passed them over because of the large footprint.
The Belle Epoch is not a clean sounding delay. It adds warmth to my tone and can get pretty crunchy if you want. I have to dial back the rec level otherwise it has too much bite and the effect can get too trebly. With the rec level rolled back a bit it sounds warmer and still retains that tape-like delay repeat. Actually it sounds best when most of the controls are not anywhere near maxed.. It can sound sterile if you push it too much but I suppose Catalinbread wanted to give everyone different options.

Supa-Stang
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Supa-Stang » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:24 am

soggy mittens wrote:Echo Shifter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K3luJcpYkY

+1 for the echo shifter as a reasonably priced shout.

I have a Carl Martin Delayla XL and it was a shoot our between that and the Ibanez and I've kinda regretted it since. The Carl Martin delay time can only controlled via tap tempo - some players might like this but for me it means when you switch it off you have to tap back in. The Ibanez gives you the option but the slide on the front means you can real time control the delay setting and get some really cooly spacey noises.

It also does your basic slapback really, really well. It is very percussive which is great for surf and the modulation and oscilation options are great to have for that style.

bacongrease
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bacongrease » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:25 am

Fab echo does slapback for $25 controls are limited & it's a one trick pony
Spring reverb tanks might be what you're after for legit throwback country or surf reverb

I have the digitech polara. It's fun but I'm not in love.