Midiverb II Power Supply

Everyone needs a stompbox.
MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Midiverb II Power Supply

Post by MrShake » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:13 pm

I picked up a Midiverb II without a power supply. It's long been on my "want" list, but I only recently took the dive into building a small rack. I'm learning a lot lately, especially about power supply, but I'm still fuzzy enough I don't trust myself.

Last night, after picking it up, and between bands at a concert, I distractedly ordered this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222355562539?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

which is rated at 9VAC up to 1000 mA. It says "works with Midiverb II".

Upon further research, I noticed on THIS page:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... upply.html

...that the Alesis P2 power supply they're selling is rated at "10VAC with a 7.5VA current capacity"

So, can anyone tell me where I stand? I don't want to have to wait for the one I ordered to show up and find out that it's not right, or worse yet, fry the Midiverb out of my own stupidity. If I need to order a "proper" replacement, I'd rather do it sooner. That thing is just sitting there, unplayed. Mocking me.

BONUS QUESTION: I have a typical 1Spot. It says it's 9V up to 1700 mA. Which, to my understanding, means it's an equivalent voltage, and has more than enough mA. I also have an adapter to turn it into a 1/8" jack. I used it for my Rats before I bought a DC Brick. But some of the electrical topics I still don't understand include polarity and discerning AC vs DC flow, especially with using an adapter to convert the tip from barrel to headphone-style. Would I be able to use the 1Spot+adapter as a temporary fix until something permanent arrives next week, so I can at least get twiddling with the Midiverb II, and test it out?

Man, it seems like the vast majority of Midiverb IIs on the market don't come with the power adapter. I wonder why that is?

FightingPlankton
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Midiverb II Power Supply

Post by FightingPlankton » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:38 pm

1st off. do NOT use DC adapters on AC powered units or vice versa. NO BUENO.
2ndly. I have an actual adapter from an alesis midiverb ii...well, i have 2 actually, you're welcome to one of them(if you pay shipping).
pm me your shipping address if you're interested.
mine says 10v ac 7.5va
Im not an expert on AC powered things, i know with DC you can get away with slightly under/over powering things. I dont know if the same is true for AC.
What is acoustic? Oh, you means a grandpa's guitars? A grandpa's guitars? That's for pussies and grandpas. I think you know it.

fisonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fisonic » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:12 pm

Both supplies are unregulated, meaning that they give the rated voltage at full load. At anything under full load they will give a higher voltage. The 9V unit has a higher watt rating so good chance that you will be fine with it, as it will be running an elevated voltage.

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:50 am

fisonic wrote:Both supplies are unregulated, meaning that they give the rated voltage at full load. At anything under full load they will give a higher voltage. The 9V unit has a higher watt rating so good chance that you will be fine with it, as it will be running an elevated voltage.
Awesome, good to know, thanks!
FightingPlankton wrote:1st off. do NOT use DC adapters on AC powered units or vice versa. NO BUENO.
Im not an expert on AC powered things, i know with DC you can get away with slightly under/over powering things. I dont know if the same is true for AC.
Yeah, the only two things I know about AC/DC is that they're never cross-compatible. I did not know about the under/over thing. I'll have to study up on that! The other thing I know about AC/DC is not to bother with anything after "Back In Black".

I appreciate y'all weighing in. And Plankton, I'll be PMing you momentarily! Thanks so much!

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:15 pm

Thanks to FightingPlankton, the Midiverb II is now up and running in my rig, with an official "P2" power supply... and it's gorgeous. I generally hate it when people say "to get (X) sound, you have to have the original gear". But, uhh, maybe in certain specific situations that's the case. Those early digital reverbs just have... something, to my ears. I love 'em.

My biggest trouble with my SPX90 is weak output on most any reverse mode, so there's a weird jump when I pull it in and out of my signal (via a true bypass looper box). The input/output level controls on the Midiverb II really makes that mostly a non-issue. Honestly, that extra output it offers when used in a pedal signal chain means I might be back-burnering the SPX for my reverse reverb needs in favor of the Alesis, due to better output control and simpler programming. I'll probably leaning heavy on the SPX for chorus/pitch shift "shimmer" -- the other strengths of that '80s digital technology, I suppose. Eventually (once I score that ADA preamp I'm itching for), I'll break down and get a basic MIDI controller and learn how to use it.

I know that MBV has been said to use the Reverse Gated setting (43, I believe), but I've been having the most fun with Symphonic or Pitch Change C on the SPX for extra twinkle, into a bloom (49) on the Midiverb (set 100% wet), with a little dollop of RV-2 plate 'verb at the end. It's astonishing. Super huge and ghostly, and I'm already working on ways to write around those sounds. Finally.

The only hiccup that prevents the current rack part of my rig (SPX90, Midiverb II) from being *seamlessly* smooth is that when I want to bypass the Midiverb and JUST hear the SPX90 (which comes first in the loop), I have to adjust the mix control on the Midiverb, down from 100% wet. Not effortless (in our world of instant t0nez), but a twist of a knob is a small price to pay for the positively luscious '80s digital reverb within.

Mostly, I've been playing open chord shapes slid slowly to different positions up and down the fretboard for maximum haunting/ghostly slowcore ambience. Like low-rent Early Day Miners.

It's crazy finally being able to make the sounds I've always thought were pure magic. Thanks again, Plankton!

FightingPlankton
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FightingPlankton » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:59 pm

Glad to help.
As for your hiccup, just put the midiverb in the loop by itself. That way the 100% wet won't matter. A great option ( probably what I'd do) is get something like the joyo pxl-4 or just a basic non-programable looper like this
http://m.ebay.com/itm/3-Looper-Loop-Ped ... 426011883?

Or
http://m.ebay.com/itm/2-Channel-Effects ... 039194162?
What is acoustic? Oh, you means a grandpa's guitars? A grandpa's guitars? That's for pussies and grandpas. I think you know it.