Stereolab Tim Gane tone

Everyone needs a stompbox.
EjectEgo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Stereolab Tim Gane tone

Post by EjectEgo » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:36 am

I've been trying to match this tone Tim Gane had in early stereolab.

It seems like it's almost similar to MBV in some ways as its kind of overdriven but clean at the same time

Live video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrBuBrJiZLg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Live recording with less gain it seems:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woIC-Lm-GZE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What is this you think? A high bass high treble low mid scoop or is it with high mids you think?

Reason I ask is because I am looking into either an OCD overdrive (which boost highs and lows) or a Tube Screamer (Which boosts mids more) to not rely on my amp's overdrive setting.

I know Tim Gane used a Tube Screamer but that came later on, and I know Kevin Shields used an OCD

By the way I use a Classic Player Jazzmaster and a fender fm212r

lunaticjaguar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Stereolab Tim Gane tone

Post by lunaticjaguar » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:24 am

a boss super overdrive and a Jaguar or Jazzmaster into a nice tube amp should nail some Stereolab tones. My band covers John Cage Bubblegum and that works out fine. Tube Screamer is pretty similar to the Boss SD-1

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:27 am

For that specific sound I'd try a compressor.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:59 am

This is a subject that is near and dear to my heart. I LOVE the sound of early Stereolab. My amateur study of this subject is Tim Gane didn't really play Jazzmasters-- those were the other ladies in the band; you need a Jaguar. At some point during college when a lot of beer had been consumed I asked him, and I think he said it was all about Jaguars.

I started with Strats, switched Jazzmasters, and then I got a Jaguar. Did some recording with the Jaguar and a Silverface Fender Super Reverb; when I heard the playback I was like, "holy shit! This is the Stereolab tone!"

Any basic OD will be fine, but it's really just about a Fender tube amp and a Jaguar.

DarnWeight
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DarnWeight » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:00 am

Didn't he play mustangs for a while? I definitely remember seeing him live with a LPB Mustang (competition stripe?) on at least a couple of occasions.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:04 am

DarnWeight wrote:Didn't he play mustangs for a while? I definitely remember seeing him live with a LPB Mustang (competition stripe?) on at least a couple of occasions.

Yes. I think he switched to Mustangs later on in Stereolab, and that's what he plays now according to Cavern of Anti-Matter liner notes.

DarnWeight
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DarnWeight » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:28 am

Jaguar018 wrote:
DarnWeight wrote:Didn't he play mustangs for a while? I definitely remember seeing him live with a LPB Mustang (competition stripe?) on at least a couple of occasions.
Yes. I think he switched to Mustangs later on in Stereolab, and that's what he plays now according to Cavern of Anti-Matter liner notes.
OK, wasn't sure of the timeline. I did see them on a very early tour (Joe Dilworth of Th' Faith Healers drumming and Russell from Moose on 2nd guitar) but wasn't really paying much attention to their gear back then.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:59 am

DarnWeight wrote:OK, wasn't sure of the timeline. I did see them on a very early tour (Joe Dilworth of Th' Faith Healers drumming and Russell from Moose on 2nd guitar) but wasn't really paying much attention to their gear back then.
It's certainly possible. The key thing to my ears is Fender amps and the 24" scale shared by Mustangs and Jaguars.

Jaguar (and JM for Mary Hansen :'( )

EjectEgo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by EjectEgo » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:42 am

Jaguar018 wrote:This is a subject that is near and dear to my heart. I LOVE the sound of early Stereolab. My amateur study of this subject is Tim Gane didn't really play Jazzmasters-- those were the other ladies in the band; you need a Jaguar. At some point during college when a lot of beer had been consumed I asked him, and I think he said it was all about Jaguars.

I started with Strats, switched Jazzmasters, and then I got a Jaguar. Did some recording with the Jaguar and a Silverface Fender Super Reverb; when I heard the playback I was like, "holy shit! This is the Stereolab tone!"

Any basic OD will be fine, but it's really just about a Fender tube amp and a Jaguar.

That's really interesting info. Thanks. I should go try a few Jags, I was initially set on getting jazzmaster because of the Surf greats, mbv etc. Great guitar maybe jag is more my speed.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:49 am

EjectEgo wrote:That's really interesting info. Thanks. I should go try a few Jags, I was initially set on getting jazzmaster because of the Surf greats, mbv etc. Great guitar maybe jag is more my speed.
For Tim Gane Stereolab sounds I would try out Jags all the way.

For MBV? Well, I think you can sound like MBV with a few solid effects and lots of use of the vibrato.

EjectEgo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by EjectEgo » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:54 am

Jaguar018 wrote:This is a subject that is near and dear to my heart. I LOVE the sound of early Stereolab. My amateur study of this subject is Tim Gane didn't really play Jazzmasters-- those were the other ladies in the band; you need a Jaguar. At some point during college when a lot of beer had been consumed I asked him, and I think he said it was all about Jaguars.

Also, my wallet hates you now haha. Lookin at Jags.

EjectEgo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by EjectEgo » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:17 pm

Jaguar018 wrote:
EjectEgo wrote:That's really interesting info. Thanks. I should go try a few Jags, I was initially set on getting jazzmaster because of the Surf greats, mbv etc. Great guitar maybe jag is more my speed.
For Tim Gane Stereolab sounds I would try out Jags all the way.

For MBV? Well, I think you can sound like MBV with a few solid effects and lots of use of the vibrato.

By the way can i hear those tracks?

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:44 am

EjectEgo wrote:By the way can i hear those tracks?
What? My tracks? Jeez man. You don't need to do that. :D

I've been messing around with my gear at home trying to see if I can dial it in and maybe make a cruddy youtube video. No luck yet.

Ro_S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ro_S » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:12 am

EjectEgo wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:36 am
I know Kevin Shields used an OCD
news to me. your source, please? what years are you talking about?
Effects for Me & my Monkey
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/effectsformeandmymonkey
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/RSguitarEFFECTS

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:30 pm

Ro_S wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:12 am
EjectEgo wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:36 am
I know Kevin Shields used an OCD
news to me. your source, please? what years are you talking about?
Probably recently and probably not much at all. They didn't exist when the classic albums were recorded, but he does have one on his giant "every pedal I've ever owned or been given" board.