Board building woes

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Urinate Forever
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Board building woes

Post by Urinate Forever » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:34 pm

anyone else go thru a crisis when it finally came time to make an actually mobile board? I realized I've been collecting pedals for longer than I've actually been using them in bands. I pretty much got lazy and just ran straight into amps for the last 5 years but continued collecting pedals. Now that it's time to put them on a board, I've lost the motivation. Also, I'm not a good maximizer of space. I have the PP2+ but fuck if I know how to put this shit together. i'm surprised I don't know of any people who do a service where they'll like design the shit for you if you just tell them what you have and the order you want it in.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Board building woes

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:40 pm

There are those companies. They're not cheap as far as I know though.
The Gig Rig https://www.thegigrig.com/pedalboards
Custom Pedalboards (UK) https://www.custompedalboards.co.uk/products/
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

dmin77
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dmin77 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:07 am

i have a small army of pedals that i love ;D . ive realized over time that i dont need all of them with me on every gig.
for example; 5 different fuzz pedals in the studio is nice! 1 or 2 is plenty good enough for a live situation.
having custom small profile cables is key to putting together a nice super-tight-space-maximizing, slightly ocd pedalboard -imo.

wondering when the pedalboard makers like pt will come out with a board that's size adjustable/modular?
i can imagine a design with a well placed wingnut or two that allows the player to extend or retract a section of the board for more or less room for pedals.
did i miss it? does this already exist? if not, i blame capitalism but i think it will (if not already) because of capitalism

speaking of capitalism; mono sure got a treat when they were chosen by pt to make the soft cases for all the latest pt pedalboards.
mono removed the extra space/pockets on the sides of the pt design. yet mono's own soft cases/bags have tons of extra space and pockets.
not sure why pt allowed this.. did people complain about having and not wanting a place for cables and stuff?
seems like mono manufactured a need, right into the pt design. -this is evil. :ph34r:

to the op - best of luck putting your board together! there is always someone out there who will let you pay them to do this for you.
i say, honour necessity and let that guide you. this is serious business! ;D

danbind
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by danbind » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:04 pm

Just build my own board (and travel lid) out of leftover wood scraps. I spent maybe ~$40 on hardware & tolex (and shipping).

Documented here:

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... 1&t=105872
remember / to kick it over

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:36 pm

Pedaltrain has a pedalboard planner site that might help if you're considering one of their boards or just want to get an idea of the general size of board that will work for you.

Some pedals work better in a live situation than others. It will probably take some experimentation. I try to keep things simple. My philosophy is the audience is not going to notice the nuances of different pedals that do the same job so pick the one that works best for each task live and leave the others at home.