Three pedal noise board, maybe four?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Three pedal noise board, maybe four?

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:24 am

So, I'm thinking about building a synth style noise board for guitar. I have 3 pedals in mind, but think a 4th would round things out nicely.

I thought about the Eventide H9, but I think the Nemesis covers most of what I would want it for, and the Data Corrupter covers the rest, plus two pedals for the price of one is a win, right? The Ottobit Jr is full of filter and 8 bit sounds and all the squealchy sequencer sounds I'd want.

http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/one ... _delay.php

https://www.earthquakerdevices.com/data-corrupter

https://www.meris.us/product/ottobit-jr/

I think I want a fuzz? The Data corrupter can do some fuzz and Octavia tones, but why limit it to that? All three have a square, double switch format. I know the Caroline Shigeharu fuzz has the same layout and would be a good choice. I have a Fairfield Four Eyes Fuzz, but one switch and the Ottobit has plenty of filter and swept filter options.

Of course, it doesn't have to be a two switch fuzz, but anything else out there I should look at? One of the Death by Audio fuzz boxes perhaps? Or is 3 enough?
Last edited by fuzzjunkie on Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Three pedal noise board, maybe four?

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:43 am

Bitquest?

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:56 am

Maybe?

I'm almost thinking another fuzz might be overkill. The bit crusher on the Ottobit and the Data Corrupter; especially with both on, might be enough. Alternatively thinking about the Meris Mercury 7 reverb and a blend/mixer/loop box, then it could be a compact noise/synth/ambient board!

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:39 pm

BitQuest is a cool idea as it has 8 algorithms and each one can have fuzz added or not.

If you really want a fuzz, I can heartily recommend a Magnetic Effects White Atom. It's not based on any classic fuzz (original circuit) and plays well with everything, including buffers. Its got a texture pot that does a battery starve-like effect, so you can have spitty choked fuzz or full bodied fuzz.

I like the idea of a 3 or 4 pedal noise board. I'd probably do a White Atom, EHX Superego, Jam Pedals Big Chill, and an EQD Dispatch Master, if I made my own.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Mike S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mike S » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:22 pm

MXR Blue Box or a Foxx Tone Machine clone seem like they would fit the theme.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:47 am

The White Atom sounds like it does a lot of the things that my Scarab Deluxe does. Plus the bonus of top jacks and fits the color scheme, but not the two switch format and if I go fuzz I'd want something a little crazier.

I looked at what Death by Audio had to offer and found their Evil Filter to be almost perfect. Same layout and color scheme, and all sorts of crazy, filtered synth fuzzes. The Ottobit does some of that, but this is more fuzz oriented. It is expensive though. Yikes!

Their Waveformer Destroyer also fits the bill. I always liked the Supersonic Fuzz Gun, and they have a new double switch version of that coming out. All 3 sound like they fit the scheme more than the Shigeharu would. A Foxx Tone Machine isn't really what I'm looking for either. At least the reissue from 10 years back wasn't.