Adding a battery clip to a Torn's Peaker

Everyone needs a stompbox.
MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Adding a battery clip to a Torn's Peaker

Post by MrShake » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:19 am

Long story short -- I like my Torn's Peaker, want to get more use out of it. Been playing a minimal setup in rehearsal (JM/Jag -> reverb -> Rat -> amp). I want to bring a fuzz pedal to slap at the end of the chain for some "kaboom" fuzz. My Fender Blender's a little bulky, the FY-2 too nasal, Supersonic Fuzz Gun is a little too buzzy into a solid-state practice amp's clean channel, and I'd like something a little throatier than my beloved Superfuzz.

My Torn's Peaker would be perfect. If it took a battery. There's no clip inside. And I don't want to have to start wall-powering pedals for this stripped-down practice rig. That's what my embarrassingly heavy pedalboard is for.

I'm strictly solder-by-numbers. There are two little unused spots on the PCB next to the power supply input. Would adding a battery clip to this pedal be as simple as wiring in a clip in those open spots? Because that's something I could handle.

My ham-handed soldering is good enough for the basics, but I'm not up to any SMD work.

Can anybody guide me? Or should I just keep looking through my collection to see if I can find something that fits the bill well enough? (Right now my alternate option is a Tone Wicker Big Muff wide open.)

salty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Adding a battery clip to a Torn's Peaker

Post by salty » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:18 pm

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... le-18-inch

Maybe a non intrusive solution like that would work?

sessylU
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sessylU » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:00 am

I know this is sort of the opposite of what you've asked for, but get a cheap daisy-chainable power supply. You're only powering three pedals so I'm sure it will be doable for cheap.

Batteries are terrible for the environment.
a total idiot jackass

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:37 am

Not sure if those pads are for a 9v clip option or not... maybe a pic of the board?
Also not sure if there's enough room in the enclosure for a battery - if memory serves, there should be.

The easiest paint-by-numbers thing to do, would be to unsolder the leads going to the 9v adaptor and attach them to a clip lead, one at a time.
But yep - as already said - even more simple, would be something like this vvv
salty wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:18 pm

You'd be surprised, how often something like that comes in handy!
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:53 am

salty wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:18 pm

I like this option. I'm going to have to pick one of those up, regardless of what I'm able to do with this TP.
sessylU wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:00 am
I know this is sort of the opposite of what you've asked for, but get a cheap daisy-chainable power supply. You're only powering three pedals so I'm sure it will be doable for cheap.

Batteries are terrible for the environment.
I know, I agree. I genuinely prefer to use a power supply, but this is a sorta "in-a-pinch" solution. Frankly, I'd just love to have the OPTION, even if 98% of the time it's got a power supply on my board.

And I should have put up a pic to start. Sorry it's upside-down, my camera had trouble with the lighting and the macro-ness, so I had to snap this quickly as I was dashing to work.

The back of the board isn't helpful, there's no visible traces. But there IS plenty of space in the enclosure to slip a battery in.

The circular pad takes a path that leads from one/both of the lower two connections on the power jack, and then disappears up to the 1/4" input jack, and the square pad seems to dead end at that terminal, but the path connects to the upper ("single-side") contact on the AC input jack. I don't know much about signal paths YET, but it sure seems like this is might be the battery option on a multi-circuit board. But who knows, I could be wrong.

I appreciate everyone helping out... feels like I'm getting so close to knowing either way!

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:47 am

Well, it looks to me like you're supposed to plug it into your butt. It's labeled clear as day.

Kind of hard to find an appropriate plug for that at a reasonable price, but you can get one here.

Wire that to a barrel plug on the other side and you're powering your effects with beans.
This is an excellent rectangle

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:38 pm

mackerelmint wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:47 am
Well, it looks to me like you're supposed to plug it into your butt. It's labeled clear as day.

Kind of hard to find an appropriate plug for that at a reasonable price, but you can get one here.

Wire that to a barrel plug on the other side and you're powering your effects with beans.
If I could power a fuzz pedal with farts I'd sound just like Live At Leeds.

And the pedal's too... *pointy* to plug in "the other way". I don't think I'm ready for that. Maybe a Malekko or something.