What is the pedal you've chased the longest?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What is the pedal you've chased the longest?

Post by Singlebladepickup » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:19 pm

I bought a Generation Loss and thought it would be the best thing ever if I could use an expression pedal to sweep the filters or bring my sound from normal to messed up and creepy....then they released a Chase Bliss version limited to 1000 units....then I bought #160 as soon as I saw the version on sale.

It's pretty much all I wanted in a pedal but they are selling for nearly twice the retail, and probably have sold for more a few times. I haven't opened it since it came in because I keep thinking about what else I could have for the money. I need to just bust it open and make it mine.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:36 pm

I’m digging this thread up out of cold storage.

I finally bought an Afterneath, after watching a few videos lately that used them well, but weren’t specifically about that pedal.

I was impressed with the sounds and (seeming) ease of use, and I realized that I don’t think that I have a pedal that really does this exact type of thing . Maybe the Mercury 7 would, I’d need to delve further into it to see. I thought the Keeley Caverns would be very similar, and it’s a good pedal, but it didn’t really do what I was looking for, and I sold it.

I’m hoping that even if there’s at least one particular sound on this (the sound I kept hearing) that is so good that I’ll keep it.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:26 pm

MechaBulletBill wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:43 pm
s_mcsleazy wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:02 am
1. a DMM clone that aint the size of a horse. seriously, my vintage time machine hangs like 1/4th an inch off my pedalboard and it bothers me.
they're not cheap or particularly small but i think the dba echo dream hits on something close to the dmm in a slightly smaller box
Yes. They float in similar spheres... I like my Echo Dream a lot more than the recently received vintage time machine - but what about the new Mojo Hand Dream Mender? 😊
It might even be a bit too small in comparison?!

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:59 pm

somanytoys wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:36 pm
I’m digging this thread up out of cold storage.

I finally bought an Afterneath, after watching a few videos lately that used them well, but weren’t specifically about that pedal.

I was impressed with the sounds and (seeming) ease of use, and I realized that I don’t think that I have a pedal that really does this exact type of thing . Maybe the Mercury 7 would, I’d need to delve further into it to see. I thought the Keeley Caverns would be very similar, and it’s a good pedal, but it didn’t really do what I was looking for, and I sold it.

I’m hoping that even if there’s at least one particular sound on this (the sound I kept hearing) that is so good that I’ll keep it.
Same! The demos I heard blew me away, and I do love mine (just got one in February?), but I'm still looking for that one sound that just makes it an absolute keeper. I mean, I'm not looking to sell it, but at the same time, Red Panda is about to release the Context 2 which has a spring mode, a favorites switch, AND the option to add delay to any reverb, which I'm seriously considering...
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:36 pm

I watched another video specifically about it after that post. It seems like it should have a mode or 2 that I’ll most likely use most, and maybe change/add something to the settings to shake it up a bit from time to time.

I like pedals that can do a lot, but I pretty much keep my pedals’ settings static anyway, so then it’s either a lot kind of going to waste (even thin it’s still capable of more), or I get kind of lost in it, and find & try to hold on to one good setting.

I’m also okay with pedals that only do one thing really well, as long as it’s a great thing. I’m hoping that this is somewhere in between.

Hopefully you can find what you’re looking for out of it. That seems like a nice one to pair with your looper for really interesting soundscapes.
-David

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:13 pm

Me too, man. I love the idea of pedals that can do a few things, but I generally find something I like and then don't touch knobs very often. Haha.

I really like the Afterneath so far. It's definitely not going anywhere. I bought it to intentionally be an ambient reverb, as I've got a good sounding spring reverb pedal on my board. I just haven't dived as deep into it as I would've liked just yet. It's been a pretty busy few weeks.

The setting I've been using with it so far is more of a staccato delay than a washy reverb. Here's what I'm using if you want to try it yourself:
Length - a hair over 9:00
Diffuse - all the way clockwise
Damper - 12:00
Drag - all the way clockwise
Reflect - 12:00
Mix - 12:00
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:25 am

Yes, I will definitely try that when it gets here - thanks. Always good to have ideas to start from, or even to try as a different direction than I may have been going in after starting from scratch.

I have other reverbs that can handle being last in the chain, for spring or other types of reverb in general. I’ve wanted something to do what I thought the Caverns was going to do, but didn’t quite get there for me, which the Afterneath seems like it will be. Have you tried the Westwood after it, for a little bit of subtle, gritty highlighting fun? I may try that, the WW is kind of floating around right now.

I also bought an Immerse (v1), and I like it a lot, but once again, it seems to really be more of an end of chain thing. It just replaced a Seraph, which is good at what it does, I just wanted more options. Maybe I’ll find more uses & places for it later.

Yesterday I hooked up 2 Digiverbs, one set on reverse and the other gated, for an MBV sound, into a Count to 5 then going into a separate amp (like we’ve talked about before). So far I’ve only used the CT5 on mode 1 with it for real time effect, but I’m going to try playing into it on mode 2 to record & do a looper with slice option, which should be somewhat similar to what the Particle can do (?), from what I’ve seen.

One positive thing in all of this, is that I think that musicians in general are going to have an easier time dealing with all the shelter in place that’s going on everywhere, than a lot of other people. It’s a magical thing to make music.
-David

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:15 pm

My friendly neighborhood postal carrier delivered this today, I’ve been playing with it for about an hour so far. Outside, at low volume - no need to piss off the neighbors on Day 2 of lockdown.

I really like this thing, lots of control and many different, really usable settings. It’s kind of similar to the Keeley Caverns, but then it isn’t, and where & how it isn’t is a pretty big difference for me. This easily does what I was looking for, that I couldn’t seem to quite get with the Caverns. And since I have the Keeley Realizer, this covers different ground.

I like the settings that you listed, but it’s a little too similar to a couple of other pedals I have. It’s really the combination that it does with both effects that sold me on it.

So far, I’m leaning heavily towards a reverse reverb, somewhat similar to the MBV reverse that I get from the SPX90, and close with 2 Digiverbs, 1 set on reverse and 1 on gated.

I like that the drag controls the pre-delay time, which will do a similar thing to the reverse setting on the Digiverb. The reflect and length knobs allow me to dial in the reverb effects (like the gated setting) - just enough to back up the delay, or to completely wash it. The diffuse and dampen knobs for blend/smear and tone, give a LOT of control with this thing.

Here are the settings I’m on atm, if you want to try them, with whatever adjustments you may like:

Length: 10-11:00
Diffuse: off
Dampen: mostly or full on
Drag: 9:00
Reflect: 9:00
Mix: mostly or full on

Westwood after it makes it grindy. I need to try a fuzz after it, too. The Dampen settings may need to be adjusted when using those, since reverb can get really too distorted having too much treble with those behind it.

I’ll have to go and try them side by side, but I think that this pedal does what I was using 2 Digiverbs to do - mimic the SPX 90.

It’s still very new, but I’m really digging it.
-David

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:07 am

somanytoys wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:15 pm
I think you and I are definitely thinking similarly on the Afterneath. I love mine so far, but I definitely want to explore it more. Thanks for the settings recommendation! I'll try that the next time I fire the amps up! And I'll try the Westwood after it too. I kinda wonder... if I like the Westwood after the reverb, then I could probably put the Afterneath at the beginning of my pedal board anywho, since I have it before my delays already. Might be worth looking into...

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:59 am

It seems like we are. You may need to tweak those settings a bit at a higher volume, I was playing it on my THR at really low volume (in the ac30 mode, I think), so a different amp & more volume may change the dynamics. It’s a starting point, anyway.

I just love the way the delay waits just a bit, & then hits like a pinball getting spanked between active bumpers on that setting, then just put in reverb to taste.

That’s exactly what I’m going to do - put it early in the chain. I wish it was stereo, but I guess that’s another good reason to put it early in the chain, before the signal splits. Not sure yet if I’ll use the Westwood right after it, or just use the dirt pedals in each chain to do slightly different things to its sound themselves.

I need to go figure out where I’m going to put it, and what’s getting pulled so it can fit!
-David

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:39 pm

Damn. I made a small chain today:

Boss PS-3 -> SA eq -> Afterneath -> Westwood-> Count to 5 -> AC4C1

PS-3 is on “magic mode” 7 (pitch shift @ noon, fb @ ~2:00); eq is set low-mids heavy to accentuate the “churn” in the lower frequencies of the PS-3; Afterneath is very likely what’s in the post above; Ct5 is on mode 1, medium length cycle (~a second).

It sounds really cool. It’s a little busy with everything on, but it all builds in a beautiful way. It sounds better without the Westwood’s distortion, it kind of buries a lot of what’s going on. I’m going to try a fuzz instead, see where that goes.

This setup may be nice enough to build a board from.
-David

ryland
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ryland » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:45 pm

My holy grail was the Ludwig Phase II. I spent 20 years trying to find one at a reasonable price. I eventually gave up and decided to build one. I bought factory schematics and helped reverse engineer it to get a diy project done on diystompboxes (you can still get boards from Dead end fx). Then, right as I finished building it, I snagged an original one on eBay.

Life can be weird.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:21 am

Wow. Isn’t that the same thing that Brad just recently scored in another thread?

Yeah, life really can be weird like that sometimes, but this seems like a pretty cool weird.

After building one and buying one, is it the holy grail you thought it would be? And have you tried them out side by side, and noticed any differences? Sometimes, because of age/use, you might find that some things on the original have “drifted”, but since you’ve already built one, it should be much easier to bring back the original into shape, if it’s necessary.

Congratulations on both.
-David

BlueSparkle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueSparkle » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:50 pm

I'm going to say that my next "attempt" will be for an original A/DA Final Phase.

Not a mains powered reissue version.

It's going to be difficult. I'm patient. ;D
:o)
----
'95 JDMJMCS Blue Sparkle w/ McNelly 46/58's.
other non-offsets.

ryland
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ryland » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:35 pm

The original Ludwig phase II needs some work. It has certainly drifted over the last 40+ years. I’ve been hesitant to take it apart and rehab it after hearing stories about how fragile the wires inside are. I probably just need to replace the electrolytic caps.

The clone sounds great. It is much present and up front than my original (if that makes sense).

I have quite been able to nail ‘The Diamond Sea’ with either, though...