How to help a bass fill out the sound behind a single guitar ?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: How to help a bass fill out the sound behind a single guitar ?

Post by budda12ax7 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:36 am

More bass AMP.....another cab will fill in some more sound. Go easy on the overdrive. Also, turn your part into a bass solo...you and the drums can go off....

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:31 pm

So I tried out some pedals at a shop yesterday.

They hooked up a Ampeg amp through a 8x10 cabinet.

Bugger the pedals, the amp and cab sounded fantastic.

thenewromance
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thenewromance » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:27 am

If you play that setup, you'll fill out any space. 8)

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:41 pm

windmill wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:31 pm
So I tried out some pedals at a shop yesterday.

They hooked up a Ampeg amp through a 8x10 cabinet.

Bugger the pedals, the amp and cab sounded fantastic.

You need two 8x10 cabs. Crank it. Problem solved.

Logrinn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Logrinn » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:45 pm

Get either a Tech21 Dug Pinnick pedal

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/dug_dp3x.html

or a EBS Billy Sheehan pedal.

http://ebssweden.com/content2/ebs-billy ... re-deluxe/

Both add distortion without sacrificing the clean lows.

starflower
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by starflower » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:41 am

There are a number of ways to approach it. And standing in front of a cranked SVT Classic will likely overrule them all ;)

At any rate, I've always felt that when it comes to bass filling in more of the mix, diluting the core bass thump with gain or mudulation can often be a bad idea. In other words, getting fat bass tone and keeping it solid is the prime objective, and anything on top of that should be done in addition to (and not in place of) the fundamental.

Bigger bass with fuzz can work, just as Muff or if one must (in a somewhat explosively overkill manner) a Frantone Cream Puff can do, by squashing dynamics and just giving a wall of fat splurging fuzz with even more bass freqs. However, I've had more satisfying results using Prescription Electronics' Depth Charge for being a monstrous fuzz that allows you to blend in the clarity and oomph of the original tone, so that the fuzz gives grit without killing overall dynamics and thump.

Also, An EHX Micro POG etc. with dry on full and upper octave at about 50% then going into a dedicated bass overdrive pedal that doesn't drop out the lows can really sound big without going overboard when playing the root and root + fifths, just by increasing harmonics and basically letting you play the role of a baritone/Bass VI.
Sound Director & Composer at Sangwha / General Manager at Moollon Guitars. https://soundcloud.com/andi-roselund

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:27 am

Thanks for all the responses.

Tried a couple of analog delay pedals. They are after a different type of sound than I wanted.

Tried a digital delay pedal, instant Durutti Column ! :), sorta worked, would have been better if there was specific millisecond intervals that you could select, but the particular pedal severely affected the tone, dulling the sound.

Tried a Big Muff but was that's just a too distinctive a sound.

Tried a deluxe Bass Muff which was better due to the blend knob being an essential ingredient, mixing a bit of the muff sound with the dry signal to give a thicker sound. A useable device.

Tried a couple of octave pedals, couldn't get a suitable sound. Octave down is too thick of a drudge sound, the octave up all seemed to have a modulation effect combined with it.

Ended up with a Dunlop MX80+ it has a blend knob and the distortion is a bit tamer than the Muff sound. It has an XLR out as well which I was also after.

Its working so far.
Perhaps something better will come along

:)

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:42 am

windmill wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:27 am

Tried a couple of analog delay pedals. They are after a different type of sound than I wanted.

Tried a digital delay pedal, instant Durutti Column ! :), sorta worked, would have been better if there was specific millisecond intervals that you could select, but the particular pedal severely affected the tone, dulling the sound.

Tried a Big Muff but was that's just a too distinctive a sound.

Tried a deluxe Bass Muff which was better due to the blend knob being an essential ingredient, mixing a bit of the muff sound with the dry signal to give a thicker sound. A useable device.

Tried a couple of octave pedals, couldn't get a suitable sound. Octave down is too thick of a drudge sound, the octave up all seemed to have a modulation effect combined with it.

Ended up with a Dunlop MX80+ it has a blend knob and the distortion is a bit tamer than the Muff sound. It has an XLR out as well which I was also after.

Its working so far.

This thing?

https://www.jimdunlop.com/product/m80-7 ... 01975-1.do

Looks pretty interesting. I’ve been looking for a bass OD with a dry signal blend for a while. I play in a 3 piece and it’s more obvious than I’d like when I kick on my current OD.

The eq on this looks handy for backline amp situations too. Is the XLR out pre or post eq?

Harmoncj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Harmoncj » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:09 am

Hi hopefully this tip is somewhat useful, I only dabble with bass but I found this "limiter" type compression really makes it sound so much deeper. if you don't have an actual "limiter" type compressor, you can typically get the same sound out of a standard compressor on mild setting and then boost into it to lower the threshold (its different than simply increasing the compression).
Trout wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:42 am
Octaver ::)
also yes, I like that plain old boss OC-2 and not even using the 2nd octave.

Lobsterdeth
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lobsterdeth » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:49 pm

get a bigger amp m80, even if its on loan
turn the volume up!!!!
Love and hate were in the air like pollen from a flower.
--------------------------------------------------
https://shutupjam.bandcamp.com/

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:44 pm

Harmoncj wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:09 am
Hi hopefully this tip is somewhat useful, I only dabble with bass but I found this "limiter" type compression really makes it sound so much deeper. if you don't have an actual "limiter" type compressor, you can typically get the same sound out of a standard compressor on mild setting and then boost into it to lower the threshold (its different than simply increasing the compression)
Interesting idea. I'll give it a shot next practice since I already have a boost kicking around and a compressor on my bass board. Will report back.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:43 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:44 pm
Harmoncj wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:09 am
Hi hopefully this tip is somewhat useful, I only dabble with bass but I found this "limiter" type compression really makes it sound so much deeper. if you don't have an actual "limiter" type compressor, you can typically get the same sound out of a standard compressor on mild setting and then boost into it to lower the threshold (its different than simply increasing the compression)
Interesting idea. I'll give it a shot next practice since I already have a boost kicking around and a compressor on my bass board. Will report back.
Ok. This is pretty legit. I want to play around with compressor settings a bit more to get it to be a little more natural sounding, but hitting the compressor harder does fill things out nicely, and the boost adds a little zing in the mids.

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:28 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:42 am
windmill wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:27 am

Ended up with a Dunlop MX80+ it has a blend knob and the distortion is a bit tamer

Its working so far.

This thing?

https://www.jimdunlop.com/product/m80-7 ... 01975-1.do

Looks pretty interesting. I’ve been looking for a bass OD with a dry signal blend for a while. I play in a 3 piece and it’s more obvious than I’d like when I kick on my current OD.

The eq on this looks handy for backline amp situations too. Is the XLR out pre or post eq?
Yes that is the one
I wil check on pre or post eq and report back

Keen to try out the compressor method as well.