Holy Grails -Bucket List - The Effects Edition

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Holy Grails -Bucket List - The Effects Edition

Post by Zork » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:13 pm

Inspired by the thread in the non-offset section, here's the bucket list thread for effects pedals.

I just aquired two pedals from my list in the last few months: A Digitech XP-300 Space Station and a Moog MF-102 Ring Modulator. I was chasing the Space Station for many, many years. Especially in Europe these are rare as hen's teeth and did cost up to 800€ if they popped up somewhere. I got mine relatively cheap and picked it up from a guy who tried for a few months to sell it for big money but then just wanted to get rid of it. I don't know why, but for me this really was some kind of holy grail, like a mythical crazy unicorn and I'm super happy I finally own one.
The Moog was a pedal I always wanted to have but never wanted to afford. I bought one the day I heard about Moog discontinuing the Moogerfooger line and I'm glad I got one before the prices go through the roof soon when the MF-102 goes out of production as well. The MF-107 is on my bucket list, too, but as it's already out production, I'm afraid it won't happen anymore. The prices are absolutely insane already.

Other magical pedals I already own: Big box Electro Harmonix Micro Synthesizer, black Sovtek Big Muff, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Boss PS-3. All of these had haunted my dreams long before I had regular access to the internet. I remember looking these up in music store catalogues as a kid over and over again. None of the shops around my hometown has ever had one of those in stock. Oh, and the Line6 FM4. I went with my parents to cologne one day and spend all of my free time in the music store, making spaceship sounds with this pedal for 2,5 hours. It was lightyears away from what I could afford as a teenager...

Still unobtained: Hexe Revolver, Hexe Melusine, green Sovtek Muff, big box EHX Poly Chorus, Frostwave Resonator, yellow Sola Sound Tone Bender

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Re: Holy Grails -Bucket List - The Effects Edition

Post by i love sharin foo » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:09 pm

I have acquired most pedals that I dreamed of owning.

Lovetone... I wanted them all and am currently at 6 of 8. The top three were the Ring Stinger, ? Flanger, and the Big Cheese. I’ve owned the Ring Stinger since 2001. Sold my first Big Cheese around 2003 and bought the one I have now about 5 years ago. I learned my lesson the first time. It’s never going anywhere. The Flange With No Name took a LONG time and a LOT of money to acquire. I’ve owned it for a couple years now. I love it. It lived up to my expectations. The Brown Source side of the Cheese Source surprised me. I like it a lot more than I expected. YouTube videos don’t do it justice.

Mutrons... the Octave Divider was was aHUGE one for me. They are a lot easier to find now than they were in about 2002. One popped up on eBay for cheap and I grabbed it immediately. Still have it. Neil Young and Sonic Youth helped me want one. next was the C-200 vol/wah. Loved it but sold it about a decade later to embark on a wah quest. The quest ended by buying another c-200.

Moogerfooger delay... they had just announced the MF-104Z, so I sold every other analog delay I owned at the time to pay for it. It was the most I’d ever spent on a pedal. It has not left my pedalboard in the 13 or so years that I’ve owned it. I think it is serial number 53 here. LOVE that thing :boobs:

The MF-102 Ring Modulator was another big one for. Still use it a TON, too.

D*A*M Meathead... I wanted one really, really badly. At the time they weren’t the easiest to get (2009). I’ve now been through over a dozen of them. Kept a black and hold one and a 3 knob deluxe. Great pedals by a GREAT builder!! I also still have one of Dave’s Ramheads. Another fucking awesome pedal.

I’m sure there’s more, but that is some of the most memorable for me.
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

Bert Camenbert
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bert Camenbert » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:21 pm

I'd really like to eventually get a Belle Epoch Deluxe, that's pretty much all for now. Oh, and I've wanted a Klon for a long time. :fp:

I eventually got a KTR and an Arc Effects Klone instead, for obvious reasons. Funny thing is, I ended up selling the KTR: I liked the Arc Effects pedal more.
Last edited by Bert Camenbert on Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:10 pm

Not really. My main effects-related dream is to record or at least mix somewhere with a real plate reverb.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:10 pm

I have owned a silver Klon, a vintage Fender reverb unit, a Roland Space Echo 201, and a Moogerfooger 108M delay.

I still have the delay, and have sold the rest on. I have a KTR for the Klon stuff which sounds pretty good to me.

Still sorta want one of those blue and red Super Fuzz pedals, but not *that* much.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:03 pm

I kind of stumbled on to most of mine. There’s only one I actively searched for. A D*A*M built Sola Sound MK-IV Tone Bender. Not just any one though. There build 20-30 each series with different transistors and different colors. I wanted the Turquoise edition and looked on Pandora off for a couple of years before one popped up on Reverb. I could have had a Yellow or Silver one sooner, but the Turquoise was the Grail.

The others I was interested in, and they just turned up and I happened to have the funds when they did. Lovetone RingStinger, Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe, Roland Bee-Baa, AD/ Final Phase and an old school Deluxe Memoryman.

I was looking for a Space Echo and ended up with a Chorus Echo instead, but I almost never use the chorus function and should have held out for a Space Echo.

I thought I wanted a Mutron Bi-Phase, but they are so huge and expensive. I got to play one once and it was cool, but I already had the Final Phase and that does a lot of what the Bi-Phase can do. Another huge vintage device is the Ludwig Phase-II. It turns out the only sound that it does that I would use it for is the Sonic Youth “Washing Machine” setting. The last big and vintage box that I was interested in was a Mutron Pedal Flanger. I had only seen a couple and thought if I ever got a Mutron pedal, that would be the one. One afternoon I came across one, and it was the pedal that first got me interested to begin with. It had been owned by the guitarist from Hovercraft and I really liked what he did with it. I played it and again it sounded cool, but I couldn’t get any sounds out of it that made me say “You need this pedal,” so I passed. It wasn’t a Grail after all. I thought for a bit about an Echoplex but decided I had enough old vintage boxes that needed to be babied.

Nothing new seems Grail worthy, so I think I have everything I need pedal wise. At least not to the degree that I’m searching Reverb or Craigslist for it.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:07 pm

For me it was an original Deluxe Memory Man. I picked a 70's era one years back after going through a bunch to find one that was just right. Including a bunch of great sounding 90s RI (mains cord and wall wart versions). Something about the one I kept is just right. NOt going anywhere for sure.

I've always wanted a the original Moog 104 Delay but it just never happened. Now that boat has sailed and I can't justify the price tag. Plus I'm smitten with the Maxon AD-900 which fills that role perfectly for my purposes.

The only sort of outstanding pedal I would love to have (but certainly don't need to spend . money on) would a big Orange and Blue Univox Super Fuzz. It would be mostly nostalgia , but damn do I miss having one of those sometimes.

Interesting the OP mentioned a Dunlop Fuzz Face. I was given one of the 90s RIs by an apathetic band mate. Eventually I cam to realize how damn good it is. Not sure it they're legit but it has two GE transistors marked NKT-275. Pretty sure those are some of the more sought after ones. Does that sound really well and has the most amazing, complex, in-between overdrivey sound with the volume rolled off on my JM. So...accidental holy grail I guess. :D
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:50 am

I always wanted one of the Roland Echos with chorus. (301 or 501. Had a busted RE501 briefly, should have invested to get it up to speed).

Space station usability tip: put it in a loop (ideally blendable) with an eq pedal.

Bert Camenbert
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bert Camenbert » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:57 am

Watson Electronics make a clone of the superfuzz that is badass. It sounds great and looks cool too. Of course, it doesn't look as cool as a orange and blue univox, but it's still way cooler than the usual hammond box generic pedal enclosure.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:06 am

^ True. Those are cool for sure. I could also build one which is always fun. l'd still want an original despite that it's not very practical or economic.
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:34 am

A 1980s Electro-Harmonix 16 Second digital Delay. WANT SO BADLY!

I've got my DMM, my Yardbox, my Frech Toast (Foxx Tone Machine), and Op-Amp BMuff. So, I'm pretty good. But damn, I want the 16 Seconds!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:22 pm

70s EHX DMM [x]
Moog MF-104M [ ]
Klemt Echolette [x]
Binson Echorec [ ]
Re-201 Space Echo [ ]
EP-2 Echoplex [ ]

fortytwo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fortytwo » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:25 am

Way Huge Camel Toe
Way Huge Sasquatch
Way Huge Super-Puss

Over the last year or so, I've gotten a craving for all things Lovetone, they aren't necessarily bucket list material, but I'd still like to have them.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:15 am

Boss PN2. ARC effects big green.

Kinda hard to justify because I have pedals that cover that same ground but I want 'em. They're not even hard to come by.
This is an excellent rectangle

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:01 am

I had to think long and hard for this...I kinda have all the boxes I wanted, but if I could go overboard, I too would love a Deluxe Memory Man, and maybe a 70s Roland BeeBaa. :)
Resident Spartan.