Who makes a good sillicon-based Treble Booster?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Who makes a good sillicon-based Treble Booster?

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu May 23, 2019 10:33 pm

somanytoys wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:22 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:33 pm
I was reading that the Rangemaster was silicon later in their production life. Wonder how true that is.
I'm pretty sure that I had read the same thing, about pretty much all of the treble boosters, fuzzes, etc. went to silicon sometime in the '70's. It wasn't until much later somewhat recently, ~2000) that the germanium fever picked back up on a more widespread level.

There probably are some out there, like the Naga Viper, but I think that germanium is the hot selling thing, so there's probably more of those. I have quite a few treble boosters, but all of mine are germanium. I'm not as big a fan of the silicon sound, there's just a difference, although I can appreciate that it is much more stable.

There are lots of Si fuzzes and ODs available, I have the Throback OD/Boost, which has both Si and Ge, and it's great. I'd think whatever Throback's version of the treble booster is would be great as well.
Agreed. I think a lot of it is about what's popular now. I've never liked how germanium pedals sound through my own rig, though, I also play fairly quietly, and I'd bet that has something to do with it. I like the idea of having both options at your disposal though. I love my Naga Viper, but if I was looking for another treble booster, I'd look for one that does with a switch between the two.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Sat May 25, 2019 1:26 pm

OP, you might also try reaching out to Brad at Creepy Fingers to see what he can brew you up. A Creepy Fingers Sugar Boost swiftly ended my hunt for a Rangemaster(esque) boost/OD; it has an extra control to adjust the range, bringing you from ear piercing laser beam to thick and chewy and all points in between. Not necessarily cheap, but would likely be a buy once cry once situation if you get just what you're looking for.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Sun May 26, 2019 6:32 am

nanamour wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 1:26 pm
OP, you might also try reaching out to Brad at Creepy Fingers to see what he can brew you up. A Creepy Fingers Sugar Boost swiftly ended my hunt for a Rangemaster(esque) boost/OD; it has an extra control to adjust the range, bringing you from ear piercing laser beam to thick and chewy and all points in between. Not necessarily cheap, but would likely be a buy once cry once situation if you get just what you're looking for.
I'll have to check it out. Thank you for the rec!

And man, so many choices... so little money :(
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

spiffy chap
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spiffy chap » Fri May 31, 2019 10:19 am

This is a good price for a good version of a silicon treble booster.

https://reverb.com/item/24164517-d-a-m-blind-mary?