Méris Hedra

Everyone needs a stompbox.
fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Méris Hedra

Post by fuzzjunkie » Thu May 23, 2019 9:21 am

Meris keeps cranking out great effects pedals and I keep talking myself out of getting them, but this one could be a keeper.

https://www.meris.us/product/hedra-pedal/

Three independent pitch shifts with delays. I much prefer the sounds of delayed and modulated micro shifts to standard Chorus or Flangers.

Making a Microphonic synth Polyphonic? I don’t know why I never thought of that, but damn, gimme!

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Méris Hedra

Post by somanytoys » Thu May 23, 2019 12:48 pm

So, to boil it down to a very simple level, that's similar to 3 Boss PS-3's in series, or maybe in parallel?

I really want to check out their reverb and the Enzo, but I still don't think I have a really great handle on their Polymoon, okay but not great, and somewhat better on the Ottobit, Jr. But I love them.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Thu May 23, 2019 2:23 pm

Yeah, after listening to a few more demoes I think I can cover all this does between my SPX-900 and Eventide Timefactor, or just the SPX. Much less enthused about the pedal now, but I definitely want to try out the Polyphonic synth idea with the gear I have.

The Ottobit is still the only Meris unit I’d really like to have, the others I have similar or better functionality already. I would get the reverb if I didn’t have an Eventide Space for example.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Thu May 23, 2019 4:28 pm

somanytoys wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 12:48 pm
So, to boil it down to a very simple level, that's similar to 3 Boss PS-3's in series, or maybe in parallel?

I really want to check out their reverb and the Enzo, but I still don't think I have a really great handle on their Polymoon, okay but not great, and somewhat better on the Ottobit, Jr. But I love them.
I bought a Mercury 7 yesterday because someone was selling one near my work. I haven't even fired it up yet, but I've gas'd on it for a while. Plate/cathedral with only knobs and no screens, line level setting, plus funky modulation, auto swells, and expression pedal capabilities . I'm excited.

My thermae is close enough to hedra for me not to care, although I recognize they are pretty different.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu May 23, 2019 8:03 pm

I really haven't kept up with all the pedals Meris has been putting out, but based on the popularity, it's feels like they're knocking it out of the park. The Hedra sounds REALLY good. I bet it would sound really cool on synth...
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Fri May 24, 2019 5:54 am

Singlebladepickup wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:28 pm

I bought a Mercury 7 yesterday because someone was selling one near my work. I haven't even fired it up yet, but I've gas'd on it for a while. Plate/cathedral with only knobs and no screens, line level setting, plus funky modulation, auto swells, and expression pedal capabilities . I'm excited.

My thermae is close enough to hedra for me not to care, although I recognize they are pretty different.
After you get a chance to play with it for a while, post what you think about the Mercury 7. I think I'd like them, but that's a lot of money for me to end up being kind of "meh..."

Strangely, as big a reverb freak as I am, the only reverbs that I'm using right now on my 2 boards are the Realizers (early), for the reverse reverb. I'm just using the Polymoons with a Seraph on one board and the DC-2w on the other do all the work at the end of the chains.
-David

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Fri May 24, 2019 9:45 am

I've got a Meris Enzo and and it's amazing. The tricky part is that it's so complex and can do so many things it requires time to learn it. It's definitely not something you get great sounds out of right off the bat, at least for me it wasn't.

At some point soon, my pedal board value is going to clearly outstrip the value of the guitars driving it.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Fri May 24, 2019 11:36 am

burpgun wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:45 am
I've got a Meris Enzo and and it's amazing. The tricky part is that it's so complex and can do so many things it requires time to learn it. It's definitely not something you get great sounds out of right off the bat, at least for me it wasn't.

At some point soon, my pedal board value is going to clearly outstrip the value of the guitars driving it.
Yeah, I'd really love to give that a try as well. No, I was the same way, with the Ottobit, Jr. and the Polymoons, it takes a while to get the concepts and the controls, and I still don't feel really confident about it all.

I'm way past that point, sooner or later I'm going to have to buy more, better guitars and basses to help offset that somewhat. Especially if you count the money invested in amps, stands, cables, controllers, and...
-David

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sat May 25, 2019 7:09 am

That should be the signature of half the TGP regulars.

I’m used to complicated delays and reverbs at this point, but I usually steer away from any fuzz pedals with more than a knob or two. I was contemplating an easy jam board with a one knob fuzz, a one knob phaser, a one knob tremolo and a one knob reverb. There aren’t any one knob echo pedals though. I guess a wah could count as a one knob as well?

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Sat May 25, 2019 9:21 am

Damn, I just added up what’s on the board. I’ve been doing this for 30 years and some of the pedals go back to the late 80s, but with the power supply the board is around $2k. I’m ok with that because I love effects and consider them essential to what I do. But man, I never thought that part of this pursuit would add up like this!

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue May 28, 2019 6:36 am

I created a spreadsheet about a year or so ago for insurance purposes. The spreadsheet took into account everything - guitars, amps, pedals, accessories, recording equipment, laptop - anything I could consider as musical equipment. I put the price that I paid for things, instead of their full list value. Older things (old guitars, etc.) the price was just what they seems to be worth now.

It was an eye opening list, seeing everything listed out, and the total value.

I have since bought a bunch of better (and more expensive) pedals, and sold some older pedals that I haven't used in years, or replaced with something better. I have some things that I bought over 30 years ago, and it's all built up from there.

I need to update the list with everything I have now and remove the stuff I sold. Then I want to filter it just by pedals and see what that is. I'm sure I'll still be floored.

it just takes a ton of time, especially doing the serial numbers, since you often have to open the pedals up.
-David