SY-1

Everyone needs a stompbox.
somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: SY-1

Post by somanytoys » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:28 am

Yeah, the 1 is about $200, the 300 is about $600 or $700, I think I read.

Considering the difference in the quality and the number of available sounds, controls, etc., I'd just as soon go with an Enzo, Zoia or Digit, whether it's for all of the additional money vs the 1, or the somewhat similar price point of the 300. Those are cool, but it seems like it's more obviously manipulating the sound with other effects like the PS-3, than what the others are doing. But that's just me.

The 1 is not a bad pedal for the amount of money, and Boss is usually super reliable for gigging.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:05 am

somanytoys wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:28 am
The 1 is not a bad pedal for the amount of money, and Boss is usually super reliable for gigging.
That's the thing about pedals like this that always bug me; it's probably more about my particular pedal user habit mentality, but how many songs can you really 'gig' with this pedal without being hunched over your pedalboard all the time?

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:22 am

I agree, I know exactly what you mean about being hunched over this pedal for way too long or way too often. The last thing I want to do, gigging or really even at home (except for finding settings) is to spend a lot of time resetting knobs .

I've invested in a dual expression pedal, midi-controlled pedalboard controllers, midi controllers and the Meris 4 button switch, in order to be able to change which pedals come on when, and to control the parameters that I can with an expression pedal (Polymoons). It would probably result in much better control if I really dove into midi, but I'm just not really there yet, in time to invest or will to spend the time & energy.

But even with powerful, versatile pedals like the Polymoon, Infinite Jets and Count to 5, I will typically find one or 2 settings that I like or will use (and can recall instantly), and go with that. Even the dirt I don't typically play with, I set it and use the sound I get, or turn it off and kick on the fuzz for a roar.

Something like the Enzo or Zoia may be different, where I'll want to figure out midi to set & scroll through more presets or whatever, but even so, it will likely be controlled by a foot pedal of some kind. I'm not slumping over a pedal to control it, only to find sounds to use & set.
-David

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:11 am

Jaguar018 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:05 am
somanytoys wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:28 am
That's the thing about pedals like this that always bug me; it's probably more about my particular pedal user habit mentality, but how many songs can you really 'gig' with this pedal without being hunched over your pedalboard all the time?
i feel like this about most of my pedals, if i can't dial in a straight up gig-worthy setting i am not in need of it. I'm not a pedal tweaker, especially not on stage
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:53 am

Well, I broke down and bought an Enzo.

I love the Polymoon and Ottobit jr, and about shit myself when I saw that the Zoia was like $500 or 600. Very, very cool, but shit...

I know that I’m going to be lost, and that I’ll probably need to use their 4 preset switch or I’ll constantky be playing with it or chasing that lost setting forever. I haven’t really used the 4 switch preset much yet, but I think I’ll be glad I bought it now.

I think it’s going to be interesting, hopefully fun, and should sound pretty cool doing some of the things it does, with the Infinite Jets in the other amp.

I’ll find out this weekend, depending on however long it takes me to find a few nice settings.
-David