The Pedal Crush book - if you like pedals

Everyone needs a stompbox.
somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Pedal Crush book - if you like pedals

Post by somanytoys » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:20 am

I finally ordered one of these last night, hopefully it doesn’t take too long to arrive.

It looks really cool, and should be really good entertainment while we’re all being squirreled away in our homes for a while.

Thanks for the heads up about it, and all of the nice reviews/info.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

lemming
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by lemming » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:50 am

I got this book recently as well. I love books like this, but I must admit that I find the photography so attractive that I can only read them for relatively short periods at a time. Nacho Banos's "The Blackguard Book" drives me so crazy with desire that I'm sometimes afraid to open it. We can be honest with each other here, right?

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:26 am

Probably more honest than a lot of other places, since it’s usually good company, and with similar “problems”! We’re at least sympathetic, if not very helpful about a cure.

That’s exactly how I’ve felt about this book since I checked out the webpage and read the posts here. Gas for just everything doesn’t happen for me, I try to be somewhat realistic and resistant, but when something does really get in my head, it’s a disaster on my bank account.

I can’t wait to see & read this, I’m sure I’m going to love it - I just hope that it doesn’t put any gas for new shit into my head.

That said, I’ll have to put off checking out that other book for a while....(but thanks for mentioning it for when I do).
-David

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:08 am

This just came in today, just in time for our shelter in place order taking effect.

I’ve only flipped through about the first 50-60 pages, and this book is amazing. The incredible amount and (practical) detail of info is staggering - on power, impedance, and so much other various basic but important info. And so well laid out, very smart.

And the pictures - damn, the pictures...

I wish I’d had something like this about 10-15 years ago, it would have given me a massive head start in aspects that I learned slowly, after much research, and luckily didn’t ruin anything in the meantime. So much to know, and it’s all right here. And so much more.

I like how they focus on individual builders, their offerings and insights, as well as in other places, grouping similar types of pedals from different makers together.

There seems to be almost every pedal in here that was on the market at the time it was written, older ones that are out of production, and maybe even sneak peeks at ones that were in development or on the verge of release.

This is the kind of book that you can read through and soak up, in sequential chunks or back. & forth piecemeal, and always refer back to as a great reference.

Thanks for posting about this, I love it.

One day I will have to check out The Blackguard.
-David

lemming
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by lemming » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:27 am

somanytoys wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:08 am
This just came in today, just in time for our shelter in place order taking effect.
Good timing! The book should make it a little more bearable at least. If your screen name is indicative of what your man cave looks like, though, I'm guessing you've got some other stuff to occupy your time with as well. I'm in Ohio, and we're locking down at 11:59 PM tonight until at least April 6.

somanytoys wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:08 am
One day I will have to check out The Blackguard.
If you're a fan of Telecasters and/or vintage guitars, you'll likely be a fan of this book.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:31 pm

lemming wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:27 am
Good timing! The book should make it a little more bearable at least. If your screen name is indicative of what your man cave looks like, though, I'm guessing you've got some other stuff to occupy your time with as well. I'm in Ohio, and we're locking down at 11:59 PM tonight until at least April 6.

If you're a fan of Telecasters and/or vintage guitars, you'll likely be a fan of this book.
Yeah, the timing was nice. We shut down at 5 pm here in LA.

I have more than enough stuff to keep my occupied - playing, rearranging, threading cables together more neatly, finishing building my MOD tube reverb unit....no shortage of crap I can do. I’m hoping that book gives me some new insights and ideas for pedals I already have, that would be really fun.

Yes, I do like that stuff, but it’s all more dreamy and out of reach. I would like it, but it’s not as important.
-David

BlueSparkle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueSparkle » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:30 am

Mine arrived a few days ago. I've read a bit of it.

First impressions are "I'm not sure" ...

The book's aesthetics are nice and so far some of the articles are interesting, but it is a bit superficial for my taste. I'm only 80-something pages in though and it's still too early - and I'll probably re-read it at least a few times before I draw any kind of conclusion.

Exchange rate was not in our favour here since before xmas, so the hesitation to purchase was a little longer.
:o)
----
'95 JDMJMCS Blue Sparkle w/ McNelly 46/58's.
other non-offsets.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:05 pm

Has anyone bought his Patch And Tweak book? I'm starting to get into Eurorack, and it looks awesome. If it's as high of quality as Pedal Crush, I'm super interested.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384