Pigtronix Philosopher’s Tone issues

Everyone needs a stompbox.
invisible man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Pigtronix Philosopher’s Tone issues

Post by invisible man » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:35 am

I just got a used Philosopher’s Tone compressor. It is supposed to be a very good clean compressor/sustainer. I can’t get a clean tone out of it though, it’s significantly dirty at all settings. Had to turn volume 3/4 of the way up for unity gain. Grit off Is dirty, turn grit up gets dirtier. This doesn’t seem right. Took it out of the chain to solo it, same issues. Did I get a lemon? Amp issue? I do probably need to take the amp in for a tune up, it’s a little noisy.
https://soundcloud.com/billy-gashade

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Pigtronix Philosopher’s Tone issues

Post by jorri » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:59 am

It doesnt sound that right.
I have a philosopher king but dont entirely remember. I think the compression knob alters the make up gain so it may have unity at another volume setting?
Mine was capable of a big clean boost to be fair. Thats what i liked about it, it could be huge through my ac30 and yet clean, yet sustain of a drive. And not that dirty with the grit on, that sounded parallel to a clean signal.

So it would only be the amp if other pedals do that. In theory a compressor should be capable of more volume without distorting the amp though. (like mastering limiters, you can make things louder).

If other pedals dont dirt up the amp with only slight boosts, and there is no over- hot signal going into it, I presume its the pedal with the problem in its gain staging.

invisible man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by invisible man » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:48 pm

Tried it again, now I’m getting no signal at all. Light comes on at full brightness, then dims. Wrote to Pigtronix, they think my aftermarket power adapter is correct. Still within return window. Should I return or have it repaired? Would still like one of these, this version not made anymore. Having nerve issues in my fretting hand, switching to lap steel until resolved. Compression and volume pedal seem more pressing now.
https://soundcloud.com/billy-gashade

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:25 am

If you like that particular model, I would let them know that you would prefer to keep it, and see if they will try to repair it instead of replace it. Unfortunately, you'll be out of the pedal for a while, but if that's the one you like and they can repair it, that may be the best option for you. What's the difference between this and the newer model that you like?

Also, if you have a way to keep the tuner out of the direct chain (something with a separate tuner out), I would take it out. A compressor will very often highlight any noise from things that comes before it, good and bad. The tuner may not be making any noise, but the buffer in older Boss tuners does sometimes affect your tone slightly. Just a suggestion, that may not really be an issue.

I only have Pigtronix's Infinity looper, but I love it. (Edit - that's a lie, I just realized I have their with Mission Engineering's dual expression pedal). They seem to make nice stuff and it's not cheap, so I'd think they'd stand behind their work to keep their customers happy. Sounds like they have pretty good customer service so far.

Sorry to hear about your nerve issues, I hope that gets better. And good luck with the compressor.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.