...and now let's nerd out on dirty boosts

Everyone needs a stompbox.
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

...and now let's nerd out on dirty boosts

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:10 pm

Well, it turns out I just love me some boost.

I bought an EQD Bows which has been my first treble booster experience. That set to treble boost into an Archer is like a laser, but now I'm eyeing the Wren & Cuff Phat Phuk or maybe the Greer Moonshot or Swart Atomic Boost.

What do y'all like for snarly, splatty boostiness?

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: ...and now let's nerd out on dirty boosts

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:42 pm

I've not played one, but the Greer Moonshot really caught my eye. I bought a Greer Lamplighter compressor for my guitar board (though I might switch with the EQD The Warden on my bass board) and Greer makes some seriously nice stuff.

I like using the EQD Westwood as a dirty-ish boost, with a little bit of a bass frequency boost as well.

And I've ALWAYS got my Catalinbread Naga Viper on with a little grit to it too.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:03 pm

Haha! Shadoweclipse and I are card-carrying members of the Treble Boost Appreciation Society ;D

I have several, of which the Keeley Java is probably my current fave. Just this week i caved in and ordered a Fulltone ranger, although it hasn’t arrived yet. (Yes, i know it’s overpriced but Fulltone has never let me down).

The other pedal i have which functions really well as a dirty boost is the Wampler Clarkesdale. Although it’s lumped in with the tube screamer clones, it is so much more than that. Thanks to the 3-band E Q, it can serve as a really effective boost - low, mid or high. In fact, with the mids turned up it does a really good treble booster impersonation.

J.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:44 pm

I should give the Naga Viper a try sometime.

Jazzmasters are super fussy about milder dirt in my experience. Can easily sound hashy and brittle with the wrong pedal.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:49 am

i really need to write down the schematic for my modded lpb-1 for ya'll it can get super clear or super dirty.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:17 am

Congratulations!

I’m a pretty big fan of the treble boosters as well. I have an AM Beano and a few different Jext Telez ones. I like that I can chose the type of boost with them (hi, med, low).

I also like Catalinbread, so would like to try out the Naga Viper one day. I would also like to try the EQD Westwood and the Greer Lightspeed. Those seem very nice. The Phat Phuk is another one I’ve been looking at and would love to try.

So many good options...I know that some guitar & amp combinations don’t need more treble, but these really sing when paired with the right equipment.
JVG wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:03 pm
Haha! Shadoweclipse and I are card-carrying members of the Treble Boost Appreciation Society ;D

I have several, of which the Keeley Java is probably my current fave. Just this week i caved in and ordered a Fulltone ranger, although it hasn’t arrived yet. (Yes, i know it’s overpriced but Fulltone has never let me down).
J.
So you pulled the trigger on that Fulltone? Cool - let us know what you think of it when you get it.

Not sure if I posted this somewhere already, but I recently bought his Mas Malo pedal - it’s nice, really a wide range and not very expensive ($129, I think). I like it a lot. I’m thinking you’ll like your Ranger.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:10 am

I love a good Rangemaster. I never saw the point in a clean booster. Either use a volume knob or a compressor for that.

My favorite dirty boosts are:
Colorsound Overdrive/Boost -Edge of fuzz boost -can go from Rangemaster to Fuzz Face and down to sparkly cleans.
Rangemaster -Preferably one with a full range switch.
zVex Super Duper -Adds some crunch.
Big box Rat -Adds some hair with the gain low and volume high.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:34 am

Dwarfcraft Devices' Plane Ticket Plus with ZAZZ! by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

JHS Colorbox
J. Rockett IKON
DMM
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:24 am

Some of my favorites:

Colorsound OD/boost
Tronographic Rusty Box
JHS Colourbox
Sleeping Dogs IVP clone (large, but badass)
-David

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:38 pm

somanytoys wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:17 am
Congratulations!

I’m a pretty big fan of the treble boosters as well. I have an AM Beano and a few different Jext Telez ones. I like that I can chose the type of boost with them (hi, med, low).

I also like Catalinbread, so would like to try out the Naga Viper one day. I would also like to try the EQD Westwood and the Greer Lightspeed. Those seem very nice. The Phat Phuk is another one I’ve been looking at and would love to try.

So many good options...I know that some guitar & amp combinations don’t need more treble, but these really sing when paired with the right equipment
JVG wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:03 pm

J.
So you pulled the trigger on that Fulltone? Cool - let us know what you think of it when you get it.

Not sure if I posted this somewhere already, but I recently bought his Mas Malo pedal - it’s nice, really a wide range and not very expensive ($129, I think). I like it a lot. I’m thinking you’ll like your Ranger.
Yep, ordered the standard model of Fulltone Ranger, not the OC75 one. You mention about the Mas Malo being reasonably priced. Most Fulltone stuff is reasonably priced (relative to other manufacturers) which is why it confuses me that the Ranger - a relatively simple circuit - is so much dearer. Anyway, as i said, i couldn’t resist!

I’m jealous of your Beano and the Jext Telez! One day, in a fit of over-indulgence, i’ll probably get one of those. There are so many good modern treble boosters out there. Ever since the idea of having a tone switch caught on, they have become so much more versatile.

Cheers!
J

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:58 pm

Ah, cool, I hope you like it, I tend to think you will.

I don’t know how the prices of the other Fulltone pedals that I have compare to comparable pedals from other makers, but one aspect is that they’re Custom Shop items - Truetone ab/y and the Supatrem (older, bigger one). The other nice ab/y splitter that I have, the Radial Switchbone, wasn’t cheap either, and was used. I haven’t really priced any comparable tremolos. I will say that they’re very solid and well made, I have zero complaints about any of them.

Yes, I went in a long binge with the JT Range Lords, I have many. But I had to get the Beano when I saw it, and the guy I bought from was super cool.

The Beano is a good bit louder than the Range Lords with yellow jackets. The Beano is actually a combo of Analog Man’s pedal, and JT installed the yellow jacket - JT apparently had the stash of them.

I can highly recommend both, but the Beano seems just a bit more sturdy. You wouldn’t regret it.
-David

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:10 am

Y'all have got me very interested in getting a treble booster. I think I'm gonna start with the Greer Moonshot or EQD Bows to dip my toe in the water. Since I now have a compressor at the start of my chain does it need to go before or after that?

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:49 am

I just got a used Danelectro "The Breakdown" and man, my Teles and Rivolta love it.

I like to buy Dano stuff used, so my money doesn't go directly to douchbags.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:00 am

tune_link wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:10 am
Y'all have got me very interested in getting a treble booster. I think I'm gonna start with the Greer Moonshot or EQD Bows to dip my toe in the water. Since I now have a compressor at the start of my chain does it need to go before or after that?
The Bows is not happy with a buffer before it, so it depends on what compressor you have.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:49 pm

Definitely anything with germanium wants to be first - treble boosters, fuzz, whatever. Silicon is much more tolerant and can go anywhere, but I typically prefer germanium.

It’s not a big deal, you learn to live with it going first, if you love the sound of germanium. I leave my compressor on all the time after it, and the treble boosters are fine going into it.

I’m not very familiar with those 2 pedals, but I’ve read good things about the Bows, and Greer seems to make good stuff. I want to try their Lightspeed pedal one day.

Later, you may want to check into an eq. I use parametric ones (Fromel & VFE), and put mine after the compressor to fine tune the sound coming from the compressor into other pedals. It can make a nice difference.

It’s a deep rabbit hole you’re plunging into...
-David