Best cheap MultiFX for Synth/Filter/Weird effects?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Dollywitch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Best cheap MultiFX for Synth/Filter/Weird effects?

Post by Dollywitch » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:49 pm

I've been using a Zoom G3 for years but recently it's gone by the wayside and I was considering replacing to or adding it. I liked the sound and effects options of the newer Zoom models, except for the fact that they've even less in the way of the already paltry Synth Effects.

The Synth Effects on the Line 6 stuff I found was kind of perfect for what I wanted to do for the most part - I still have an M5 hanging around for that reason, but the one at a time limitation is a bit rough. Pairing it with the new Zoom Unit though which has some more effects options for things like Ice Delay might give me more options.

I was wondering what the offerings were like on the Boss and Digitech stuff? I might also consider getting a Multifx that's only good at Synth stuff and running that into a the Zoom G1x Four since it's nice and cheap(I hate the lack of audio interface though). I'd fork out for the larger Zoom unit if it had the Synth stuff available for download, and sell my G3, but it doesn't seem like it does. I have some patches on my G3 I'm still attached to that I play around with whenever I do plug it in.

Any ideas? When I say "Synth effects" of course I don't necessarily mean "good" synth tones like what the Mooer ME300 offers(though that would be awesome) - again all the weird synths and filters and stuff from the Line 6 modelers is up my ally, I already have a synths for proper "synth effects", and a Bass Synth Wah for the more stereotypical filter sounds. I liked stuff like the Seek Wah model, Spin Cycle, Growler, actually pretty much anything on the Line 6, but I'd be up for trying something different but equally fun(I notice they have a Sitar effect on the new Zoom stuff for example).

I was considering tracking down a Pod HD Bean unit(I used to own the HD500 but found it a bit big for my mostly desktop jamming/recording purposes), but not sure that'd be the best idea as I'd end up having to fork out for an FBV. I like the relative simplicity of the Zoom that still gives me plenty of access to experimental stuff.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Best cheap MultiFX for Synth/Filter/Weird effects?

Post by somanytoys » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:15 am

This is not my area, really.

I’m just posting to say that the Zoom MS 70 CDR has almost everything but dirt and any real synth sounds that I remember (mostly pads & shimmers, I think). But it sounds like you have the actual synth part covered anyway.

The CDR has got a lot of good effects, that will stack like a pedalboard, up to 6, depending on the processing requirements of each effect. It’s also had an update that added a lot more effects.

If you’re looking to just add on to what you’ve got, this pedal has a lot to offer and isn’t expensive, probably less used. I don’t have any experience with the other pedals in that line, but have read some good things about them.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

Dollywitch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dollywitch » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:44 pm

The G1 Four has most of the effects on the CDR, so is likely the better option in some ways.

It's a shame Zoom don't go in for synth effects. Looking into Digitech and it seems neither do they. Boss might be the best option.

stilwel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stilwel » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:31 pm

I also love those imperfect synth/filter sounds in the L6 M-Series pedals. They’re just fun to use and inspiring, especially when combined with their other fx.

That new Boss SY-1 sounds killer.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... izer-pedal

Dollywitch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dollywitch » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:01 pm

I think my dream synth pedal would probably be one that does real time FM/Wavetable type synthesis, combining your guitar signal with another waveform. Not just driving an FM synth, but actually making a new waveform based on your live guitar input. I've only ever heard of one pedal that does that and i've forgotten what that is - though I know you can do something similar dicking around with the EHX Ring mod pedal so it tracks itself.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:10 pm

I could be wrong, but it seems like that’s kind of what the Meris Enzo does. Maybe not quite what you’re taking about, but seems geared that way, giving a guitar the sounds & effects found on a synth.

I bought one, but sold it because I wasn’t good at using it, and was honest enough with myself to know I wasn’t gong to spend the time to get good at it anytime soon. The Meris pedals are brilliantly powerful, but complicated.

It’s definitely not cheap tho. I bought & sold it for $270. But it’s still relatively new.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:19 pm

Dollywitch wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:01 pm
I think my dream synth pedal would probably be one that does real time FM/Wavetable type synthesis, combining your guitar signal with another waveform. Not just driving an FM synth, but actually making a new waveform based on your live guitar input. I've only ever heard of one pedal that does that and i've forgotten what that is - though I know you can do something similar dicking around with the EHX Ring mod pedal so it tracks itself.
Why not make a small Eurorack rig to use as a guitar effect(s)? There's so much funky stuff there that you could use really uniquely. There's a company from Spain called Befaco who make a module called the I2 (Instrument Interface) that lets you take a guitar or bass, and converts that signal to Eurorack levels. You could get a VCA/DCA that converts back to guitar signal to run to an amp. That could be fun.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

sessylU
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sessylU » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:32 am

Dollywitch wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:49 pm
again all the weird synths and filters and stuff from the Line 6 modelers is up my ally, I already have a synths for proper "synth effects", and a Bass Synth Wah for the more stereotypical filter sounds. I liked stuff like the Seek Wah model, Spin Cycle, Growler, actually pretty much anything on the Line 6
If only Line 6 had made a MultiFX that has all those sounds and that you can for cheap now....
a total idiot jackass

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:49 am

If cheap is at the top of the list, the old Line6 compact pedals that allowed you to swap out the fx module can often be had for very little. Can't remember the names of many of them, but I have the Otto filter, and I know there was a flanger-based one in the line-up too as I have Behringer's copy of that (called the Flanger machine).

Behringer did a Bass Synthesizer pedal too, but as the price of those has risen to more or less equal that of (later iterations of) the Boss pedal they're based on, they've somewhat lost their reason for being.

The Flanger Machine (and its Line6 progenitor) has some nice synth-like sweeps such as Up, Down and Square waves. Calling it a flanger is almost a nisnomer, though it flanges and choruses as well. The Otto Filter and its Behringer clone are likewise under-rated for what they cram in and definitely worth the low price they typically fetch.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:51 am

All I know is the Boss GT6-B I had many years back has really fat saw and square tones (and mellower brass or bow stuff) I would replace fuzz tones with. Monophonic,with octave control. And an arpeggiator was spot on. And a programmable scale harmoniser. No quacky synth envelopes, unless you want them. Did that slow rising trip hoppy stuff an ehx microsynth does though. .also swell, chorus, full looper, verb lol.

Like most not sure about the drives or amp sins but probably usable compared to things like Pod of the same age. Obviously boss has so much out since. But have not seen a demo doing these sounds so idk.

I see a lot of really expensive arpeggiators and synth and reminded of that. Probably quite cheap now.

stilwel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stilwel » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:54 am

You can pick up an M9 or M13 pretty cheap these days. Gives you all those same synth sounds along with loads of fx.

I’m using their HX Effects which also has all of those algorithms along with a bunch of new Helix algorithms. Love it. Just a really great piece of gear.

Dollywitch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dollywitch » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:03 pm

I guess I should hold on to my M5 then.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:07 am

stilwel wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:54 am
You can pick up an M9 or M13 pretty cheap these days. Gives you all those same synth sounds along with loads of fx.

I’m using their HX Effects which also has all of those algorithms along with a bunch of new Helix algorithms. Love it. Just a really great piece of gear.
Funnily, a used M13 (which is huge) is now often in the same price range as a M9 (less huge) or less