Octave Fuzz recommendations?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Octave Fuzz recommendations?

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:00 am

I know it's not what most people would think of as an octave fuzz, mostly because the distortion side isn't a true fuzz, but the EQD Life Pedal might fit the bill pretty nicely. The distortion seems to be very versatile, and the octave part is not only footswitchable, but also controllable via an expression pedal. Stefan's video, especially starting at 3:28 made it REALLY hard to not pick up...
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Kinx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kinx » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:37 am

I got to review the new KHDK Unicorn Blood mk2 Octave fuzz pedal for my new YT channel, check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG_f7zE4M5g

We tried to be as thorough as possible - we originally tried to even process some other instruments with it, but eventually we run out of time so it's just my vintage JM and some other guitars for reference. It features some great tones I totally wouldn't expect to get out of an octave fuzz pedal (I really dig the "overdrive" setting). Cool and versatile box indeed.
Check out my band, The Atavists ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG-HZtrljMg

brain21
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by brain21 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:08 am

For future readers...

If you have the $$$ the best (switchable) octave fuzz that I have ever heard is the Octaland by Jessy Davey in the UK. There is the full-sized and the mini. They run in the $300+ range.

Other options are the Tychobrahe Octavian Plus the Fulltone Octavia pedal (I don't think it's the "Ultimate Octave" - it might just be called Octavia? Blue box. Harman 8va - watch out for these - sometimes they run for $100, sometimes for $300 since he retired from making pedals.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:15 am

The MXR Blue Box, which I love, is an octave-down fuzz, not the usual octave-up.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

del
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by del » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:38 am

The Green Ringer circuit is a not-at-all-precise octave up with a fuzzy ring modulation to it. It's a simple, classic design and can be found with no frills in the Chicago Stompworks "Octave Up" or in more fancy versions like the EQD Tentacle or Lovepedal Believe. It's an easy addition to a pedal chain alongside any other fuzz/distortion/drive pedal that might suit you.

I hope this is helpful.

~del
The Kinks - The Fall – The Bad Seeds - Spacemen 3 - The Gories - Royal Trux
"The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world." - David Fair

kaboodle45
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kaboodle45 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:13 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:00 am
I know it's not what most people would think of as an octave fuzz, mostly because the distortion side isn't a true fuzz, but the EQD Life Pedal might fit the bill pretty nicely. The distortion seems to be very versatile, and the octave part is not only footswitchable, but also controllable via an expression pedal. Stefan's video, especially starting at 3:28 made it REALLY hard to not pick up...
I find the Life Pedal's octave actually isn't all that noticeable in terms of an octave effect, but is very noticeable in how it redefines the character of the distortion

My personal favorite octave-up fuzz (for a a bunch of reasons) is Malekko's Omicron Fuzz. It's out of production, but they still crop up pretty regularly for like $100. They sound gnarly and are tiny

kaboodle45
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kaboodle45 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:04 am

Other octave/Superfuzz variants worth checking out:

Wattson Fuzz
ss/bs Buzzz
EQD Fuzz Master General (which I feel strays a little too far into a kind of Velcro-rip territory that I don't particularly love, but is still pretty cool)
SolidGold FX Formula 76
Ananashead Super Fuzz
Black Cat Super Fuzz
Idiotbox Ron F*cking Swanson
Boss FZ-2
Behringer SF300
Wounded Paw Attack Goat