Everyone needs a stompbox.
Dollywitch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Octave Fuzz recommendations?

Post by Dollywitch » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:43 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:01 pm
I pretty much stick with my Danelectro French Toast. It's Foxx, and I love 'em.
ooi the voodoo octave is the same pedal in a different enclosure. they both use an incorrect schema of the Foxx Tone Machine/Ultimate Octave tho

dugwolf
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dugwolf » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:45 pm

Smallsound/Bigsound Buzzz is my go to. Has a ton of options.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:00 pm

Dollywitch wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:43 pm
Maggieo wrote:
ooi the voodoo octave is the same pedal in a different enclosure. they both use an incorrect schema of the Foxx Tone Machine/Ultimate Octave tho
The French Toast is the Foxx- the guy who bought Danelectro did the FTM and he's said it's an exact clone.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:46 pm

HH1978 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:36 am
Let us know how you like the orange!
I went to the practice room today. Without the octave, it sounds exactly the same as my Foxx Tone Machine that I built from a kit from musikding.de. There's absolutely no difference. With the octave switched on, the Orange retains a little but more low end and the octave is slightly more stable, but also not as loud as in the Tone Machine. I am a bit disappointed, to be honest, but on the other hand one of my complaints with the Tone Machine was the octave beeing a bit too loud and this is not the case with the Fur Coat. I don't know if it was worth the 100€, but I'll keep it for now. It's a cool pedal, but I had expected it to be more different to the Tone Machine.

RuffiansFC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RuffiansFC » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:05 am

Maggieo wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:00 pm
Dollywitch wrote:
Maggieo wrote:
The French Toast is the Foxx- the guy who bought Danelectro did the FTM and he's said it's an exact clone.
Danelectro released the 3699, which is the tone machine with a mid boost switch and footswitchable octave.

I have an OG tone machine and the French Toast. You'd have to have Eric Johnson's ears to notice any difference.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:49 am

RuffiansFC wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:05 am
Maggieo wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:00 pm
Dollywitch wrote:

Danelectro released the 3699, which is the tone machine with a mid boost switch and footswitchable octave.

I have an OG tone machine and the French Toast. You'd have to have Eric Johnson's ears to notice any difference.
I know, right? It's the same in different enclosures.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

BlueSparkle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueSparkle » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:25 pm

The Keeley Monterey is a great combo for octave and fuzz, can also do wah and rotary / vibe (selectable)
I quite like the fuzz in that pedal.

having said that, I prefer to keep my octave and fuzz separate. I have a mu-tron octavider, which is a little fussy, but great, and many fuzzes, but I have a soft spot for my analogman sunface (old nkt red dot) and that's a pretty darn tough combo to beat.

But if I need to save real estate or just something to achieve the jimi tones, then that keeley monterey is perfect. you can get some epic sounds from it.
:o)
----
'95 JDMJMCS Blue Sparkle w/ McNelly 46/58's.
other non-offsets.

Kinx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kinx » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:38 am

I used to use French Toast, but it lacks midrange, I had to have an EQ pedal with it all the time to help the mids. I love Homebrew Electronics U.F.O. , it's a tone machine circuit tweaked to perfection - no volume drop, loads of midrange on tap and the octave is footswitchable. It is quite pricy tho, I am thinking about having my French Toast modded to match the U.F.O.

My latest discovery in octave fuzz pedal territory is a vintage Electro Harmonix Micro Synthesizer - It's got an octave slider which basically acts as a blend of octave fuzz and tweaking with the sensitivity fader also produces very cool noisegate-like effect, not to mention cool filter variability. however, it is pretty enormous and the old ones have iffy bypass - they also suffer from volume drop (I fixed that with my trusty EQ pedal set to boost and true bypass loop) and need extra AC adapter.
Check out my band, The Atavists ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG-HZtrljMg

gregrus
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by gregrus » Tue May 19, 2020 6:37 am

I need a good fuzz/octave pedal for my pedalboard.
I found this Fulltone fuzz and perhaps I will try it.
https://www.awkwardsound.com/fulltone-o ... ve-review/

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue May 19, 2020 11:24 am

I would imagine that’s a good pedal, never tried it, don’t have any octave fuzzes.

I have his Mas Malos fuzz and two Supatrem 2 tremolo pedals - I have nothing but good things to say about them.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

HH1978
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HH1978 » Tue May 19, 2020 3:23 pm

Pretty sure Gary Clark Jr uses the Octafuzz and gets killer tones out of it. Then of course he would probably sound great through anything.

elektrovac
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by elektrovac » Tue May 19, 2020 10:12 pm

The Warren Ellis Muzzbox

or

Octaviaze

electric12
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by electric12 » Tue May 19, 2020 10:32 pm

Kinx wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:38 am
I used to use French Toast, but it lacks midrange, I had to have an EQ pedal with it all the time to help the mids. I love Homebrew Electronics U.F.O. , it's a tone machine circuit tweaked to perfection - no volume drop, loads of midrange on tap and the octave is footswitchable. It is quite pricy tho, I am thinking about having my French Toast modded to match the U.F.O.

My latest discovery in octave fuzz pedal territory is a vintage Electro Harmonix Micro Synthesizer - It's got an octave slider which basically acts as a blend of octave fuzz and tweaking with the sensitivity fader also produces very cool noisegate-like effect, not to mention cool filter variability. however, it is pretty enormous and the old ones have iffy bypass - they also suffer from volume drop (I fixed that with my trusty EQ pedal set to boost and true bypass loop) and need extra AC adapter.
The French Toast is great - I don't mind the mid-range issue as I like raspy. waspy fuzz and I have plenty other beefier fuzz pedals.

My problem with the EH Micro Synthesizer is the way it cuts off the sustain. I've had a couple over the years but have always ended up moving them on because of this. I love the sounds thy make otherwise and frequently use the one in NI Guitar Rig (which unlike the original doesn't cut off the signal) when recording.

Kinx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kinx » Wed May 20, 2020 2:27 am

electric12 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:32 pm
Kinx wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:38 am

The French Toast is great - I don't mind the mid-range issue as I like raspy. waspy fuzz and I have plenty other beefier fuzz pedals.

My problem with the EH Micro Synthesizer is the way it cuts off the sustain. I've had a couple over the years but have always ended up moving them on because of this. I love the sounds thy make otherwise and frequently use the one in NI Guitar Rig (which unlike the original doesn't cut off the signal) when recording.
you're right, I actually like the "gate" feature of it, but it isn't really suitable for long sustained notes. Partial workaround is to boost the pedal with the clean boost - that gives the gate enough signal to stay open for long.
Check out my band, The Atavists ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG-HZtrljMg

HH1978
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HH1978 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:18 am

I recently acquired a used Spaceman Nebula, and readind the OP again, seems to tick all the boxes. The octave is blendable instead of being switchable, so you can dial in the amount you wish. It has plenty of gain and a nice midrange, a 3-ways EQ filter + a tone knob to help shaping the sound, a clean blend which I find fantastic, because it allows to blend the octave with any other dirt pedals in front of it (sounds fantastic with a Sunface), and a switchable second octave. The fuzz itself is a modern sounding IC fuzz. Not sure to what I could compare it, because I'm more used to vintage fuzzes, but it sounds quite nice.

The octave itself is not too proeminent, and is not an octavia circuit. It can do some ring modulation if you want to, but not as crazy as the Octapussy, for instance. If you want strictly Hendrix's Band of gypsies tones, an octavia works better. But the Nebula has a ton of sounds to offer, especially when blending in other pedals.

It work quite well as an octave booster too, with the gain at minimum.

I'm really impressed with the versatility of this unit.

I post 3 demos, because I find interesting how different players sound different using the same pedal. Shows how versatile the pedal is, and how different it can sound with different rigs and playing styles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_9mfymYOqA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0hnEGIsPDs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNHXBzVzRaA