Favortie Electro-Harmonix Pedal?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Favortie Electro-Harmonix Pedal?

Post by Maggieo » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:52 am

I think my all-time favorite is my semi-ancient Deluxe Memory Man, in the big enclosure. As Robert Quine said, "It's its own instrument. You learn to play it, just like your guitar. I can't imagine being without it."

My other faves, though not on the same level:

Op-Amp Big Muff (I had the original, but lost it, like the RI just fine)
Original big box Electric Mistress (lost it, just bought a DEM)
Frequency Analyzer ring mod(again, big box, lost it)

I'm still trying to figure out how to integrate the Triangle Muff into my playing. The JHS-modded Soul Food is pretty great, but I like my IKON and Joe Gore's Cult germanium overdrive more.

What say you, gang?
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Favortie Electro-Harmonix Pedal?

Post by stevejamsecono » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:01 am

Oh man, great question.

So the Small Clone has got to be it for me. I had a Big Box 90s one for years and had a series of Neo Clones (the most recent just got gifted to a friend who's new to chorus pedals). It's such a wonderful sound and it's so easy to use. I'd love to try out a Clone Theory (the sound of "Brass in Pocket") some day just to see if there's THAT much more versatility to it.

As questionably reliable as they can be sometimes, those beat up tin boxes can't be beat:

And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:16 am

As much as I love my big box Micro Synth for everything it is, my black Sovtek Muff is the pedal I have always enjoyed the most. It still puts a big smile on my face everytime I hear it (it's in my bandmate's rig atm). Also: I need to shell out the money for a big box Poly Chorus soon before they get even more expensive. It's such a cool pedal! :-*

Jazzmastervsjaguar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jazzmastervsjaguar » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:36 am

Oh man has to be the big box Deluxe Memory man for me. But my other favorites include:

1. Big Muff (rams head or some version of a rams head)
2. Deluxe Electric Mistress
3. Big Box Frequency Analyzer
4. Big Box Micro Synth
5. Small Clone

ElephantDNA
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ElephantDNA » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:31 am

I would say historically big muff. Definitely used that the most, though some of that was the pre-boutique days when you didn't have all these options.

Now, I would go slightly off-center and say C9, B9 - basically the whole series of "organ/keyboard/mellotron" emulators. Really a unique and niche thing but they pull it off very well.

peterherman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by peterherman » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:29 am

The one I can never get out of my head and always think of re-re-re-re-buying is the Wiggler. I remember loving it, selling it, regretting the sale, buying it again, loving it again, selling it again...it's like a bad relationship. I think I just need to leave it alone.

fever606
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fever606 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:47 am

I've had a V3 Big Muff either "on my board" or close at hand since the mid-90s... I can't explain it, it's just "the one."

I'd give silver and bronze to the "tall font" Sovtek Big Muff and the Clone Theory (original, I've never tried the re-issue)...

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:24 pm

Without a doubt my big box Memory Man from the 00s. :-*

Closely followed by the POG2. 8)

Resident Spartan.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:23 pm

A big box DMM might be my favorite pedal ever. Certainly the one I'd grab if I could only take one pedal with me. (I like the pointy-knob-attached-power-cord one better than the later-round-knob-separate-power-supply-one-that-sounds-better-but-not-as-good-somehow one).

A big box clone theory on bass does what it does better than anything I've ever heard, noise and all.

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:38 pm

One more to the pile buuuuut.... big box Deluxe Memory Man over here as well. I recently took mine off my board to make space but I’m missing it so much. Will never sell it.

After that and this is close for me but I’d have to say a bubble font Russian big muff. I’ve ruined two of them beyond my ability to repair them and now I use either an EQD Hoof or one of the EHX reissue muffs (most recently the Rams Head one) but there’s something magic in the bubble font where any amp I ran it into it just sounded crushing.

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:09 pm

At this point in time: Cathedral

Honorable mentions:-

Pitchfork
Big Muff Deluxe pi
Cock Fight
Freeze
Holy Grail Max
Grand Canyon
Last edited by soggy mittens on Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
If OSG has tort me anything...

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:54 pm

Well for now, it's the only one I own: EHX Micro Metal Muff.

Just a stupidly good over the top distortion in spite of the silly name. I don't play 'metal' in any sense.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

bubba899
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bubba899 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:05 am

It's weird because at one point I was obsessed with EHX pedals. I used to own so many and they made up most of my board, but now they've all been replaced with other versions of themselves. The only one I have now is the Memory Boy, which is great, but never gets used over other delays I've got. I kinda feel like I need to start collecting them again.

Of the ones I've owned, my favourites are the Double Muff, which is just a great raw overdrive, the Big Muff w/tone wicker, which before the recent re-issues was easily the best muff they made and the Stereo Pulsar, which I think is my favourite trem pedal ever.

Of ones I don't have, but have used. A friend had a green russian bubble font and a big box DMM which we used to record with and they were absolute beasts. I always really liked the cock fight too, lots of cool sounds in that.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:10 am

Still very far to try them all, but the SMM w/ hazarai.
Maybe it's something about the interface, sounds that aren't supposed to be in there like ring mod and reverse verb.
And dat loop varispeed/filter.

Yet, perhaps not the best sound. I'm reticent to replace with a grand canyon as it misses a few of the most important sounds, despite its delay quality likely being better.
But I'd sure replace its basic echo sound with a dispatch master or get on very well with a DMM. It can't do a memory man sound despite the name and have another cheap pedal for that which I'd love to upgrade to a 24v DMM. So much that it would be a perfect compliment with one, as in covering no similar ground whatsoever.

IT also has volume loss, tone suck, and out of phase outputs, yet the fact its used despite of it really shows its worth keeping.... Now if only they released a version two, that's not the grand canyon. Its reverse mode 'decays' (manual calls it 'voices' and is a similar 'granular' effect that's trendy now from Clouds synth module, or eqd Afterneath) is too unique, and the varispeed loop. It's hard to find those.

mcbrandt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcbrandt » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:33 am

I’ve only really used a few pedals, actually other than loopers, just two. They were both EHX, the Grand Canyon and oceans 11. The Grand Canyon wasn’t what I was looking for delay-wise, but I love the oceans 11 and it’s what I was looking for in terms of echo reverb and trem reverb. I might buy a second so I can use both at once, unless someone wants to suggest a good trem pedal. Was glancing at the EHX pulsar.